Help! Can anyone explain this please?

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning I woke feeling a little shaky. After my shower but before breakfast I tested my bg at 5.7.

Breakfast at c 8am was Greek yogurt, 15g nutty muesli (a little less than normal), 7 raspberries, 6 blueberries, 20g almonds and a sprinkle of cinnamon. 1 hour later I'm feeling shaky and irritable and I'm only 5.0 (retested at 5.5). I usually peak around the hour mark. Why would I be lower than my fasting level?

Not sure if I should eat, or if breakfast is yet to take effect?

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I am new to this so I am afriad I don't know the answer. Just wanted to say that I feel for you - there is nothing worse than feeling like that in the morning.

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! I had a coffee with cream and that eventually perked me up! I've made an appointment to see my GP. I think I either need medication to help prevent hypers or something to level out my hormones. I have one "good" week out of every month and the rest of the time is very random.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry @Kaz261 - didn't see this til just now.

But you did exactly what I would have done - had a cuppa, with some cream in it, and waited it out. :D

I had something similar last night, when my bg dropped a bit after evening meal. Used low carb hot choc to do exactly the same.

Reactions: 2 people

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Brun. I must be learning something!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you on any meds.....if not, a hypo is unlikely to happen, and its just your body acclimatising to normal readings after a change in diet.....

do you see a peak with that particular breakfast?

sometimes you can get an unexplained blood sugar reading from time to time, some more than others lol........try and repeat the exact same conditions tomorrow morning and see what the meter says.....;)

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you on any meds.....if not, a hypo is unlikely to happen, and its just your body acclimatising to normal readings after a change in diet.....

do you see a peak with that particular breakfast?

sometimes you can get an unexplained blood sugar reading from time to time, some more than others lol........try and repeat the exact same conditions tomorrow morning and see what the meter says.....;)
Hi novorapidboi26. I've been having the same breakfast for weeks with no issues. I usually peak around 6.5 after an hour and back to high 5's after 2 hours. Don't know what my body is doing this week, been all over the place!

I'm not on meds but as I have RH, hypo's are unfortunately highly possible

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This morning I woke feeling a little shaky. After my shower but before breakfast I tested my bg at 5.7.

Breakfast at c 8am was Greek yogurt, 15g nutty muesli (a little less than normal), 7 raspberries, 6 blueberries, 20g almonds and a sprinkle of cinnamon. 1 hour later I'm feeling shaky and irritable and I'm only 5.0 (retested at 5.5). I usually peak around the hour mark. Why would I be lower than my fasting level?

Not sure if I should eat, or if breakfast is yet to take effect?

It could be your other hormonal issues at play here, and having an effect on your bloods!
You do get the odd rogue reading or feeling, you are still relatively new to it all.
As Brunneria suggests have some slow acting full fat to bring you up slowly despite the numbers. Feeling better is preferable than feeling rough. So if you get that awareness of the symptoms, have that coffee. Or eat a bite or two low carb.

Reactions: 2 people

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Have you always had the cinnamon or recently added it? Like the poster above I've heard it is good for lowering blood sugar. Xx

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been having the cinnamon for weeks, so would be surprised if that what the culprit! I think it's more to do with my hormones