New emotions/likes in the forum

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all - as discussed, these are the new likes/emotions planned for when the forum upgrade goes live later this month (hopefully @Giverny :) )

fdf0c2fad6.png

Does anyone think anything is missing/appropriate/not appropriate?

Reactions: 4 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Will it be 1-of-10 selection, or multi choice?
You'll only be allowed to choose one option, but you can go back and change it later if you fancy.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Administrator and @Giverny - What's the difference between "Informative" and "Useful"? (Just the pedant in me breaking out.....)

As that seems (speculation on my part) like it'll be some sort of pop-up or drop-down menu, would the "Report" functionality be able to be accommodated within that? It could help manage the landscape of each post, perhaps.

I appreciate that "Report" requires a different set of background actions - presumably it sends a message into the Admin/Mods area, whereas you wouldn't necessarily want to know how many people found my super, smashing, lovely posts to be liked.

Currently there seems to be a counting system with "Likes". What happens with that in the brave new world? Clearly you have been careful to leave out any of the "Dislike" or other materially negative options, but is it worked out like eBay feedback, on a proportional formula, or just a total, including or excluding the "Disagree" category?

:watching: :bookworm: :pompous:

I bet you're glad I don't work for you. :D

Reactions: 8 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What's the difference between "Informative" and "Useful"? (Just the pedant in me breaking out.....)
A news story might be informative, but not particularly useful. A method for doing something might be useful (and informative).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still think that 'Disagree' may lead to some potential aggro.

And the more I think about it, the more I would like to see the whole 'Like' system removed completely. But I realise that isn't going to happen. :)

Reactions: 16 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like them, I see the informative and useful as different things, I may think something is informative to someone e.g. Some one with T1 but may not be particularly useful to me withT2. Think the disagree one could be contentious - but we do disagree from time to time and as long as posts don't get abusive when someone uses it sensibly it may work

Reactions: 5 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not particularly happy about "Disagree" - if someone does actually disagree with a post I feel it's more useful for them to post and explain why.

Robbity

Reactions: 16 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Administrator and @Giverny - What's the difference between "Informative" and "Useful"? (Just the pedant in me breaking out.....)

As that seems (speculation on my part) like it'll be some sort of pop-up or drop-down menu, would the "Report" functionality be able to be accommodated within that? It could help manage the landscape of each post, perhaps.

I appreciate that "Report" requires a different set of background actions - presumably it sends a message into the Admin/Mods area, whereas you wouldn't necessarily want to know how many people found my super, smashing, lovely posts to be liked.

Currently there seems to be a counting system with "Likes". What happens with that in the brave new world? Clearly you have been careful to leave out any of the "Dislike" or other materially negative options, but is it worked out like eBay feedback, on a proportional formula, or just a total, including or excluding the "Disagree" category?

:watching: :bookworm: :pompous:

I bet you're glad I don't work for you. :D

It looks like this (currently):

b528fbf94c.png

and when you would hover over, it'd say what the feeling was. Does that help?

The counting system would continue with the different feelings and a list of what was received, similar to:

4f53817f37.png

Agreed that disagree is a tricky one.

What about an 'Unlike' - a different label for not agreeing with something, still contentious?

K

Kat100

Not sure about the disagree .. People tend to follow on mass to .. So people could end up feeling hurt ..

A feeling of being left out is going to lead to disharmony ..scapegoating .. More sub groups etc etc ..

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

b528fbf94c.png

The counting system would continue with the different feelings and a list of what was received, similar to:

4f53817f37.png

What about an 'Unlike' - a different label for not agreeing with something, still contentious?

Yes!!!! Still contentious. I don't like the idea of anything negative at all. If we have something negative to say about a post then we should post a reply ourselves with reasons and be prepared for a discussion.

Reactions: 11 people
K

Kat100

Also I don't really like a points system .. Feels like a race l to win a trophy ..or score points ..
Likes without points would be nice .. I feel ..

Reactions: 12 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I still think that 'Disagree' may lead to some potential aggro.

And the more I think about it, the more I would like to see the whole 'Like' system removed completely. But I realise that isn't going to happen. :)
I think I'm going to Disagree with every post just to be awkward. :rolleyes:
You rebel you :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

b528fbf94c.png

4f53817f37.png

Yes, that helps, thanks. :)

I think if we have lots of different ways of "showing the luuuurve", then showing a less positive reaction makes sense, otherwise it could be perceived that it's fine to comment, provided it's to agree? Sometimes the most valuable informtaion or insight can come out of quite heated debate. If we all agreed about everything nothing would change (and I would have no work to fund my hedonistic lifestyle!). It's a bit of a no-win situation, in my view.

If the feedback system is to remain at all, then (if it was my decision, which it clearly isn't) I would be inclined to run with it and see what transpires. I have a feeling some of the options will become redundant quite quickly, but then I could be really very wrong.

As it's your show, you can always modify again at some point in the future.

Reactions: 2 people