Not diabetic anymore??? Confused as heck :(

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you and well done. You have confirmed my view of what I will be doing as a newbie T2. I was not given the option of even trying diet and exercise but fought for it. I got my own BG meter and began a low carb diet. As my levels were high I thought it would be sensible to take the Metformin until my bg stabilised. Basically I lost Christmas- the first time my family has been together for years- due to severe stomach cramps diarrhea etc. Now I have a cross trainer I can use regularly and any spare few minutes. I've investigated so much about low carbs / metformin. I am determined to make diet and exercise work ! So, thank you. Well done in your achievements - they are an inspiration for mine to come
I use peppermint oil capsules to control any stomach cramps or spasms. Look for a medicine called Colpermin or ask your gp for it on perscription. Also there is another brand called Mintec. Try these! They worked a treat for me.

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use peppermint oil capsules to control any stomach cramps or spasms. Look for a medicine called Colpermin or ask your gp for it on perscription. Also there is another brand called Mintec. Try these! They worked a treat for me.
Further to my recent posts. My weight 6 months ago was 68.8kg, now it's down to 63.1kg. Admittedly a lot of that was fluid build up due to inadequate clearance whilst on pd. But a significant improvement just the same. I am now at my correct dry weight for the first time in months. I have never been classed as overweight anyway as I always try to eat as healthy as possible. Pity more people in the UK and Worldwide don't have the same attitude!

Reactions: 2 people

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Further to my recent posts. My weight 6 months ago was 68.8kg, now it's down to 63.1kg. Admittedly a lot of that was fluid build up due to inadequate clearance whilst on pd. But a significant improvement just the same. I am now at my correct dry weight for the first time in months. I have never been classed as overweight anyway as I always try to eat as healthy as possible. Pity more people in the UK and Worldwide don't have the same attitude!
Further to my recent posts. Just heard that my new heamodialysis schedule will be ready next week Jan 6th to let me know whether I'll be doing morning or afternoons 3 times a week. Also back on the transplant list after my recent suspension during my recent stay in hospital. Hooray!!!!!!

DOBSONP

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Buscopan is similar and is available off prescription.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel I have to give credit to (and be thankful for!) my diabetic team - at my last review, the nurse said "if you came in with these results, you wouldn't be diagnosed as diabetic, but you've got it for life and will never be able to eat like a non-diabetic"
That's exactly how I've viewed my progress myself but I'm surprised by the number of HCPs who seemingly don't think like that!

DOBSONP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I feel I have to give cA1C will be down againit to (and be thankful for!) my diabetic team - at my last review, the nurse said "if you came in with these results, you wouldn't be diagnosed as diabetic, but you've got it for life and will never be able to eat like a non-diabetic"
That's exactly how I've viewed my progress myself but I'm surprised by the number of HCPs who seemingly don't think like that!

That's exactly the response I got at my last appointment. I'm hoping my A1c will have improved again when I see her again in February but I actually like the diabetic diet on the whole though I would like a bit more chocolate!

Happy New Year everyone x

Happy New Year everyone. X

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Buscopan is similar and is available off prescription.
Maybe but I prefer a natural remedy if available instead of chemicals. Colpermin is available in most pharmacies without perscription if you wish to pay for it at around £5.60 a box of 20 or £19.99 for a box of 80 capsules (prices may vary where you shop).

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Sorry to hear you have had a similar experience. I have now come to the conclusion that there is only ME that will take care of my diabetes. It is scary to think we put our trust in these people. I am now in a position where I won't go to the doctors anymore despite needing to. I would rather suffer in silence than listen to their claptrap and bs.
I agree with you entirely ,My husband had results come back diabetic being offered statins for cholesterol of 5.8 and blood pressure tablets , he had another test done 3 days later which came back inconclusive because he was borderline anaemic , and was supposed to have a re test beginning of December he is still waiting for the appointment to come through . His mother is diabetic type 2 and my husband has been tracking his blood readings with her meter. He has eaten in one day - full cooked breakfast, home made pancakes with jam on , chips from the chippie and a stir fry with noodles,and apple crumble and custard an hour later he tested his blood and it was 7.3 , i can test my blood for the same food eaten and it will be 8.9 and i am not diabetic i have had two blood tests come back all perfect not even borderline , so i think it is all bull . I'm not like on here very much because i am against the diabetic eye test which i think can cause more problems than it is worth and i believe it is just to make money (bonuses) for nurses and doctors for each diabetic patient they treat. My husband is unhappy at being placed on the diabetic register also without his consent , does anyone know if he can request to be taken off as he wasn't asked they just added him to the register.

Last edited by a moderator:

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
This is exactly the same as me! Diagnosed about 4 year4s ago at 9, have brought down my reading to 6.2 consistently for the last 4 yeas since, but eat a scone, like you, I'm up to 13 and it doesn't come down for hours - and apparently, according to one doctor, I'm "only slightly diabetic"!! Ah well, there you go!! I am sure I'm not ......!!
maybe it isn't as serious as they are telling us and its all just a big 'lie' ?

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i believe differently , diabetes type 2 can be cured its all out there to see .
It can NOT be cured.....it can be managed or put in to ''remission'' at best if you want to use that word but there is no ''cure''. If you stray off the controlled eating path your ''cure'' will be exposed as what it is....in as much as it is NOT curable.

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It can NOT be cured.....it can be managed or put in to ''remission'' at best if you want to use that word but there is no ''cure''. If you stray off the controlled eating path your ''cure'' will be exposed as what it is....in as much as it is NOT curable.
I cured mine.

November1115

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think T2D can be reversed too.... as shown by bariatric surgery and pp in this forum. .. I had my eye appointment today (happily all good results) and the optician (a HCP!) too agree it could b cured..

I know and heard of other doctors (dietdoctors team) and medical students who believe that diabetes cane be reversed and cured..

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The now oft heard statement that you can 'reverse your diabetes' is a bit of a misnomer.

What is possible 'for sufficiently motivated individuals', to use Taylor's words, is that the so called inevitable progression of the disease can be stopped. This is apparantly due to the discovery that the insulin beta cells are not either dead or alive as previously thought, but that some appear to 'metabolically inhibited'. If you lose enough weight, for many, but not all, these beta cells can start producing insulin again. However, the ones that are well and truely dead remain dead. This means that you have to remain vigilant because your insulin production can decline again if you don't take care of yourself.

The old idea that if you became diabetic that even if you controlled it by losing weight and lowering your fasting glucose levels, that control would become increasingly difficult to maintain and the disease would then inevitably progress was due to a study known as the Belfast Study and as Taylor summarises it, this 'study provides an example of moderate weight loss leading to reasonably controlled, yet persistent diabetes. This study showed that a mean weight loss of 11 kg decreased fasting blood glucose levels from 10.4 to 7.0 mmol/L but that this abnormal level presaged the all-too-familiar deterioration of control'.

Taylor's work had led him to the following conclusion: "The extent of weight loss required to reverse type 2 diabetes is much greater than conventionally advised. A clear distinction must be made between weight loss that improves glucose control but leaves blood glucose levels abnormal and weight loss of sufficient degree to normalize pancreatic function." As I wrote above, it is the progression that is being halted, not the disease. It can return.

If you have had diabetes once, you can get it a second time easier than you got it the first time. The good news is that it does not need to be progressive. Just don't push things too far.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Of course, it can also come back if you go back to eating **** food.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it really comes down to your perception of what cured means. Personally I say I am in remission as I am under no illusion that if I start to fall back into old eating habits it will be back, very gradually but it will be back. That is why the word remission is used in cancer patients because as it may seem to be gone it can come back hence you are not cured. To me the word cured means it is gone for good which may be very achievable for most while they are in control of their own dietary needs but I dread the day I end up in a rest home and they start feeding me carbs.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Using the term remission seems to be borrowed from cancer treatment, since often a person would appear to be cancer free, but then the cancer returns with a vengeance. That has a lot to do with the nature of cancer. Type 2, for most people is a little different. If you get type 2 from eating too much carbs, then get rid of your type 2 by reducing or not eating carbs at all, then perhaps you are carb intolerant. If I get type 2 again, and I'm still not eating carbs, then it's a different kind of type 2 than I had before. I'll always be carb intolerant, but that's different than having type 2.

November1115

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't think we should be too hard on our doctors, HCPs etc...... they are guided by hospital policies guidelines... RCP (various royal colleges of physicians etc) NICE etc... currently they hv to tell us officially to follow the current guidelines whilst waiting for more trials and research to confirm that HFLC is definitely the way forward. These doctors and trusts could be sued for advocating a diet that's not fully endorsed by the formal boards of excellence. It's only a few weeks ago that bacon and sausages were 'bad' and the following week later that butter etc were safe and good...

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
I agree with you entirely ,My husband had results come back diabetic being offered statins for cholesterol of 5.8 and blood pressure tablets , he had another test done 3 days later which came back inconclusive because he was borderline anaemic , and was supposed to have a re test beginning of December he is still waiting for the appointment to come through . His mother is diabetic type 2 and my husband has been tracking his blood readings with her meter. He has eaten in one day - full cooked breakfast, home made pancakes with jam on , chips from the chippie and a stir fry with noodles,and apple crumble and custard an hour later he tested his blood and it was 7.3 , i can test my blood for the same food eaten and it will be 8.9 and i am not diabetic i have had two blood tests come back all perfect not even borderline , so i think it is all bull . I'm not like on here very much because i am against the diabetic eye test which i think can cause more problems than it is worth and i believe it is just to make money (bonuses) for nurses and doctors for each diabetic patient they treat. My husband is unhappy at being placed on the diabetic register also without his consent , does anyone know if he can request to be taken off as he wasn't asked they just added him to the register.
Taking a blood reading after just one hour will not give you a correct reading. You need to wait for two hours as your glucose will still be on the rise.