Anyone tried Chia seeds?

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get a low carb newsletter from about.com and it mentioned chia seeds - some wonder food used by the Aztecs or Incas in the past. It has been rediscovered in the past 10 years and is now being grown again. It is apparently low in carbs and high in fibre and protein.

I wondered if anyone here had used them or knew of a UK supplier. And could they be used instead of rice, I like to make a veggie curry which includes cauliflower, and cannot find a satisfactory rice substitute, I don't really wont cauliflower twice in one meal, there are limits...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
There is a UK site I found selling what you want.

Google Goji King and you will get to the site. Enter Chia Seeds in the search bar and there they are.

As for what they are and what you use them for here is a short extract from the site.
These highly nutritious seeds are easily digestible, and have mild taste. You can eat them in different ways, such as adding to your breakfast cereal, as salad dressings, and ice cream etc. Some people also add them into their juice or water.

I can't break our own rules by posting the link, sorry. :(

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that site too, just before I read your post, thanks anyway.
Have you tried them? The seeds I mean not the suppliers.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sorry, no. I just find stuff. :D

bronte

Hi,

I use chia seeds every day. I did have a problem with constipation (sorry) but I have found that a teaspoon full at each meal helps a lot. I haven't used them in cooking but I believe there is a book with cooking suggestions. David Mendosa has written an article on them and the book details are in the article.
Best wishes
Helen