Newly diagnosed Type2

Shoegal34x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello!
I was diagnosed with T2 four weeks ago, I am now up to my full amount of 1500g of metformin a day after increasing my dose each week.

I have been browsing this forum since I was diagnosed & finally plucked up the courage tonight to say hi. The information and support everyone offers here is truly amazing

I'm still finding my way and don't really understand a lot. I feel a bit overwhelmed with information.
My Hbac1 or whatever it is called was 14.2. My fasting glucose was 12.6. I'm 45 & a wee bit overweight, I've been at Slimming World since Sept & have lost 18lbs so far. This diagnosis has made me all the more determined to succeed.

The main reason I decided to write tonight was I had a really funny turn at work today - this is about the 7th time this has happened - but today was the worst. It's very hard to describe - not lightheaded as such, just very weird & I thought I was going to pass out. I also went a very strange colour so much so my boss jumped up to catch me because she knew something was amiss.

Has anyone else felt like this? It was as if I'd lost all power and my brain felt kind of shaky inside my head!!

I'm really kind of floundering about the place now as I don't really know what I'm doing - I also don't know if slimming world is the right diet for me anymore. I don't test my blood sugars.

Basically I don't really know what's best for me! I've researched so much I think I've overloaded my wee brain! I guess the whole process is just a learning curve.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say you're all wonderful and I hope someone can shed some light on my funny turns.
Thank you.

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. That HBa1c is extremely high and you must get hold of a meter and start testing 2 hours after typical meals to see where you are. With the level that high and if not really overweight you need to discuss the possibility of being Late onset T1 and not T2 with the GP if it doesn't start to come down fast. With regard to SW, I would suggest avoiding any of the branded diets if you can as the food is often far too high in carbs as some of these companies tend to follow the dated 'avoid fat' mantra. If you need the motivation from a group, then do read the labels on the food. Avoid high carbs and go for something like perhaps 150gm/day or less. I suspect the feeling strange could well be the very high blood sugar hence the need to diet and get it down. There are other drugs that can help, but the Metformin is a good start. If you continue to feel unwell and the meter you get hold of shows readings staying into the high 20s or just says 'Hi' then go to A&E.

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello!
I was diagnosed with T2 four weeks ago, I am now up to my full amount of 1500g of metformin a day after increasing my dose each week.

I have been browsing this forum since I was diagnosed & finally plucked up the courage tonight to say hi. The information and support everyone offers here is truly amazing

I'm still finding my way and don't really understand a lot. I feel a bit overwhelmed with information.
My Hbac1 or whatever it is called was 14.2. My fasting glucose was 12.6. I'm 45 & a wee bit overweight, I've been at Slimming World since Sept & have lost 18lbs so far. This diagnosis has made me all the more determined to succeed.

The main reason I decided to write tonight was I had a really funny turn at work today - this is about the 7th time this has happened - but today was the worst. It's very hard to describe - not lightheaded as such, just very weird & I thought I was going to pass out. I also went a very strange colour so much so my boss jumped up to catch me because she knew something was amiss.

Has anyone else felt like this? It was as if I'd lost all power and my brain felt kind of shaky inside my head!!

I'm really kind of floundering about the place now as I don't really know what I'm doing - I also don't know if slimming world is the right diet for me anymore. I don't test my blood sugars.

Basically I don't really know what's best for me! I've researched so much I think I've overloaded my wee brain! I guess the whole process is just a learning curve.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say you're all wonderful and I hope someone can shed some light on my funny turns.
Thank you.

Hi there Shoegal and welcome to the best place for good advice and friendly support. Sorry you've had funny turns, it's very disconcerting for you. I've just had the occasional light headedness. I have to agree with daibell regarding your diet, maybe the time has come to go down the low carb route? I believe you'd feel loads better after a very short time and you're probably aware that there's lots of people here who have benefited hugely from it including me. I was diagnosed in November and floundered for a while but I've gained so much knowledge here and have lost nearly a stone and feel pretty good really.
Anyway, best wishes with it all and let us know how you get on. Jan x

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. I will tag @daisy1 for you, Im sure you will find the information in her post will help steer you in the right direction. Well done on your weight loss so far. In regard to your funny turns I have had a couple of similar incidences but my Dr cant figure out what is causing them.

Shoegal34x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks so much for getting back to me, Daibell and Jan, I will do as you've advised and get a meter.
Ratbags, that must be annoying for you - it's very worrying when you don't know what's causing the funny turns.
I'm reading lots & lots on here & have ordered the 'carbs & cals' book, I'm going to keep going to SW for support but go down the lc route.
Thanks everyone again for taking time to reply.

Reactions: 3 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like a good plan as support is important and remember we are here if you need us :)

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in November and my BG was 21.9. Within a fortnight I managed to get this down to around 12 or 13 and before Christmas I was down to around 9 on average but having relaxed my diet over the festive period I'm back up to around 12 again. I've never experienced anything like this, even with my ridiculously high BG. However, your symptoms sound almost identical to some attacks that my mum had a couple of years ago and it turned out to be a magnesium deficiency. Some supplements soon put her right but I would ask your doctor about it rather than self-diagnosing.