Dr David Unwin

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From Twitter . @LowcarbGP .For three years I have offered all my T2D the chance to avoid Metformin by trying #LCHFdiet Worked for nearly all. Wish there where more like him

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From Twitter . @LowcarbGP .For three years I have offered all my T2D the chance to avoid Metformin by trying #LCHFdiet Worked for nearly all. Wish there where more like him

You do know that Dr Unwin is a member, and sometimes poster on this forum?

Reactions: 4 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think Dr Unwin was pretty clued up before he got here, but I may be wrong. If he sees the thread header he may tell us.
Hi
I have so much to be grateful to you all for.

A great deal has changed in the three years since I joined up. Back then the low carb approach was regarded as possibly dangerous by many of my colleagues so the support and encouragement you all gave was vital to me. Since then I have been humbled to discover how much you motivated, clever people know about your disease and how much I could learn from you all.

Thirty five years ago at medical school we were all taught that basically diabetes was about sugar and that the best way to treat it was to cut sugar out, as sugar was a sort of 'metabolic poison' to someone with diabetes.
Its odd how the medical profession has drifted from this position and taken the general public with them. My older patients still call it 'Sugar diabetes' which underlines the point about its causation.

Your low-carb forum firstly reminded me of what I had no business forgetting and then when I found that tens of thousands of people with diabetes found the approach helpful I realized I must try and get other doctors to see the light too. Since then the dangers of sugar have become clearer but still few folk realize that starchy carbs like bread rice or pasta are digested down into surprisingly large amounts of sugar.
How many know that a slice of brown toast (no jam) is equivalent to five teaspoons of sugar or a small baked potato to eight!! (This is calculated via the glycaemic index)
Very important information if you have diabetes.

I am now working on how to get this info out there!
Again Thank You

Reactions: 24 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I have so much to be grateful to you all for.

A great deal has changed in the three years since I joined up. Back then the low carb approach was regarded as possibly dangerous by many of my colleagues so the support and encouragement you all gave was vital to me. Since then I have been humbled to discover how much you motivated, clever people know about your disease and how much I could learn from you all.

Thirty five years ago at medical school we were all taught that basically diabetes was about sugar and that the best way to treat it was to cut sugar out, as sugar was a sort of 'metabolic poison' to someone with diabetes.
Its odd how the medical profession has drifted from this position and taken the general public with them. My older patients still call it 'Sugar diabetes' which underlines the point about its causation.

Your low-carb forum firstly reminded me of what I had no business forgetting and then when I found that tens of thousands of people with diabetes found the approach helpful I realized I must try and get other doctors to see the light too. Since then the dangers of sugar have become clearer but still few folk realize that starchy carbs like bread rice or pasta are digested down into surprisingly large amounts of sugar.
How many know that a slice of brown toast (no jam) is equivalent to five teaspoons of sugar or a small baked potato to eight!! (This is calculated via the glycaemic index)
Very important information if you have diabetes.

I am now working on how to get this info out there!
Again Thank You

Well, I think to be honest, there's a bit of a mutual appreciation society going on here. Whilst I will be bold enough to take on board and be flattered by your words (even if I haven't been around as long as yourself and others), I do believe that there are some members and/or readers (because of course not everyone who reads joins or participates) who will see your participation as almost legitimising the whole low carb approach, thereby giving them the confidence to give it a go, which unfortunately, as you are fully aware, still means largely swimming against the tide of medical guidance.

I have been trying very hard, with my own practise to ignite some “corporate” interest in the approach. My preferred GP (sadly not a partner) really gets it, as does the ANP I was seeing recently after a (non-diabetes related) surgical procedure. I will be seeing her again is a couple of weeks and intend to gift her my copy of Trudy Deakin's book, “Eat Fat”, as she even seems to “get” that once a balance point is achieved in the weight loss and blood scores, many low-carb adopters reach an efficient way of balancing out is to top up on fat.

I really do look forward to a time when we can relate tales of breaking ground, and those coming behind us being incredulous to the potentially catastrophic fuel we have been encouraged to take on board.

Keep up the good work. We need more publications from you, so that I can keep up my stealth approach on my practise!

Reactions: 7 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I think to be honest, there's a bit of a mutual appreciation society going on here. Whilst I will be bold enough to take on board and be flattered by your words (even if I haven't been around as long as yourself and others), I do believe that there are some members and/or readers (because of course not everyone who reads joins or participates) who will see your participation as almost legitimising the whole low carb approach, thereby giving them the confidence to give it a go, which unfortunately, as you are fully aware, still means largely swimming against the tide of medical guidance.

I have been trying very hard, with my own practise to ignite some “corporate” interest in the approach. My preferred GP (sadly not a partner) really gets it, as does the ANP I was seeing recently after a (non-diabetes related) surgical procedure. I will be seeing her again is a couple of weeks and intend to gift her my copy of Trudy Deakin's book, “Eat Fat”, as she even seems to “get” that once a balance point is achieved in the weight loss and blood scores, many low-carb adopters reach an efficient way of balancing out is to top up on fat.

I really do look forward to a time when we can relate tales of breaking ground, and those coming behind us being incredulous to the potentially catastrophic fuel we have been encouraged to take on board.

Keep up the good work. We need more publications from you, so that I can keep up my stealth approach on my practise!

I see my GP on Monday, so will see how we get on wrt LCHF. I told him I was going on it last time we met, and he immediately set me up with the dietician, presumably to see if that will cjhange my mind. Nope. My daily average bgl has dropped from 15.6 mmol/L when I last saw him, down to 6.9 this week. And i have halved my Gliclazide dose all this week, so we will discuss making this a scrip change.Yipee!

Please David, keep an interest here. i will be reporting my success in the Low Carb subthread, but will try to remember to update here to point to it.

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I find in my practice that one of the DNs is supportive of the low carb, full fat and testing approach whilst another one asks why I am making my fingers sore by testing and what am I not eating what she advised ie low fat, fruit, potatoes and brown bread, rice, spaghetti etc even though the evidence that LCFF it is working is on the screen in front of her. If there is this conflicting advice within the GP practices unless patients take the initiative and research etc it's pot luck as to what advice they are given therefore more 'joined up' thinking by the professionals would be a good start.