Hungry and need advice

cazzy1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just started lchf food plan. I am type 2 on meds but struggled to control diabetes as love my food. Now at 109mmols being told o should be on insulin so made a deal that I would take it seriously which I never have and watch the food. Lost 2 stone but starting to feel hungry. Read lchf can reduce blood sugars so trying it. Any tips. Has it worked for anyone x

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Read lchf can reduce blood sugars so trying it. Any tips. Has it worked for anyone x

It's worked for a LOT of people. Try it and search the forum for thousands of tips on diets, foods, weight loss and good management

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A low carb diet has worked wonders for me. The high(er) fat part of LCHF is equally as important as the low carb part. The fats should help you feel full and satisfied, and replace the energy you were previously getting from eating more carbs. But you may well still feel hungry for a while as your body is probably still craving for all that carby stuff. Learn which foods contain few if any carbs and fill up on those. You don't have to stint your love of food, you have to find low carb higher fat versions of what you enjoyed instead.

Robbity

Reactions: 9 people

cazzy1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One brekkie idea is 10% fat yoghurt with nuts etc. I bought it but scared to eat it as says per 100 g is 5.2 g of both carbs and sugar! Just want to triple check this is ok as website only showed how much fat not what carb etc it is. Want my diabetes to improve not get worse lol x

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of my breakfast meals involve eggs: I eat a lot of omelettes, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon etc. I think the best thing about LC diets is that you tend not to feel so hungry. My advice would be to avoid anything that is advertised as diet/low fat/or reduced fat. Whilst the fat is reduced they frequently add sugar (as the cheapest flavour enhancer around). Full fat Greek yogurt with nuts and blueberries is a pretty good low carb breakfast. But as I said, I like my eggs :)

Good luck mate Low Carb definitely works. No question.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yes, it's worked for me, too.

Have you discovered the Lidl Protein Roll yet? It's good for breakfast - split and toasted with low carb lemon curd, buttered and cut in to soldiers to have with boiled eggs, toasted then topped with cheese then melt the cheese, just toasted and buttered, toasted and topped with fried egg(s).

I agree with @Klangley that there are lots of lovely egg breakfasts to be had including my day off favourite - bacon and fried eggs. :hungry:

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's worked for me, and continues to do so. It's not a diet as such, as you have to keep following it (more or less strictly depending on your own psychology and physiology), otherwise all the excess weight and bad BG levels will return.

The high (some people prefer to call it full) fat part is what keeps you satisfied. Healthy fats like avocado, coconut oil, butter, olive oil, chicken with skin on, salmon, chops with all the fatty bits, nuts and seeds, etc... Yum!

5.2% of carbs in your yogurt is fine, as long as you don't eat a whole 500g pot! ;) I also prefer eggs with veggies (mushrooms, asparagus, red peper) and bacon/chorizzo. There are threads on here with long lists of breakfast and other meal ideas, stick around and read as much as you can. Good luck! :)

Tarabas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is it hungry all the time like needing more energy or the watching TV and need something to snack hunger? For the last one I tried tomatoes (with cottage cheese) and cucumber.

cazzy1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am not keen on eggs. I wish I was. Will try lidl protein roll. Is it be read like? Any brekkie ideas that don't have eggs lol x

cazzy1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Where sausages are concerned. I bought some asda 90% meat chipolatas. But there is a small amount of chickpea and rice flour. Would that be ok to have still as thought all flour out of bounds or is that just wheat flour

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Where sausages are concerned. I bought some asda 90% meat chipolatas. But there is a small amount of chickpea and rice flour. Would that be ok to have still as thought all flour out of bounds or is that just wheat flour
Hi Crazy1968, just a small amount in sausages is not too bad, you can get 99% meat from " debbie and Andrews" most big supermarket chains stock them,clive

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1452695600.998567.jpg
these are best flours from top to bottom

cazzy1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A low carb diet has worked wonders for me. The high(er) fat part of LCHF is equally as important as the low carb part. The fats should help you feel full and satisfied, and replace the energy you were previously getting from eating more carbs. But you may well still feel hungry for a while as your body is probably still craving for all that carby stuff. Learn which foods contain few if any carbs and fill up on those. You don't have to stint your love of food, you have to find low carb higher fat versions of what you enjoyed instead.

Robbity
Hi robbie. I think I am struggling a bit to get my head round eating low carb food that has high fat and some ingredients have more sugars such as yoghurt that I never would have let myself eat before. I just need to get used to it. Thanks for replying x

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have guacamole and celery for BF every day. Keeps BS very steady with the fat and fiber and keeps me full much longer than eggs

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi robbie. I think I am struggling a bit to get my head round eating low carb food that has high fat and some ingredients have more sugars such as yoghurt that I never would have let myself eat before. I just need to get used to it. Thanks for replying x
Hi Cazzy. Roughly how many grams of carbs per day were you eating before you went LCHF? And roughly how many grams are you targeting now that you're on LCHF.

As long as the carbs are decreasing then you're going to see an improvement. You seem to be unnecessarily throwing obstacles in your own way!

cazzy1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have never bothered about what I ate even though this is my 4th year as type 2. Always felt ok and don't look fat so didn't worry. Diabetic nurse gave me a massive kick up the bun so I am trying to be good. I guess I am a little nervous of messing up. In asda now going to make some low carb bread and sausage recipe from lchf cookbook. I am learning about carb counting and trying to get around 10%

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have full fat no added sugar yogurt and flax seeds for breakfast most mornings - 5.45am and don't want to wake rest of family.

Almond flour can be used to make a low carb hot breakfast could even have a low carb mug cake :)

I found a calorie and carb book really helpful when I first went low carb, it took me quite a while to get my head around eating full fat after following NHS guidelines of low-fat high carb all my life.

cazzy1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been doing this a few days now and using an app to track my % of carbs and fats and proteins. I am around 5/7% carbs but about 2000 calories. I am hitting fat target of 70% and protein around 25%. I got this off a website. Do these amounts sound ok. Any help would be appreciated x

butterfly123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Most of my breakfast meals involve eggs: I eat a lot of omelettes, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon etc. I think the best thing about LC diets is that you tend not to feel so hungry. My advice would be to avoid anything that is advertised as diet/low fat/or reduced fat. Whilst the fat is reduced they frequently add sugar (as the cheapest flavour enhancer around). Full fat Greek yogurt with nuts and blueberries is a pretty good low carb breakfast. But as I said, I like my eggs :)

Good luck mate Low Carb definitely works. No question.
Stick to blueberries x