Question for the ladies

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I have a question for the ladies please, regarding "that time of he month" and sugar levels.

I'm not diabetic but have reactive hypogleacemia and a few days before my period is due to start I have much more difficulty controlling my blood sugar levels. My fasting level increases to high 5's / low 6's and I'm way more sensitive to carbs meaning I spike higher than normal which makes me more likely to go hypo (that's the reactive part of the condition).

I'm seeing my GP next week as it's becoming a problem. I have two small children and it's quite frightening when I'm alone with them. I've read that it can be common for bg levels to change around this time for women but my question is, has anyone overcome this?

Can it be helped by taking something to level out hormones I.e the pill or should I look at medication to help prevent the spikes so I don't get the resulting hypo? I'm diet controlled at the minute. Thanks in advance for any advice x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know some woman increase their iron levels on their menstrual period.
I don't notice a change but my bgs are relatively erratic on insulin so very difficult to pin point without my other factors (eg Stress).
I'm sure now you've been able to identify the cause something will be suggested.
Sorry I'm no more help.
They say type 2 is mainly diet controlled so I do suggest eating beef or other iron filled foods and see if any help.
I'll be interested to see what your gp suggests. :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many women here find blood sugar control more erratic at certain times of the month. I don't have RH but even before I was diagnosed with diabetes I felt different in a blood sugar way before my period. I found I used to have to watch what I ate as although I craved carbs, too many made me me feel worse.

Definitely get your doctor's advice. I don't know if you're already doing this but keeping a food/symptoms/BS diary might help you see what's happening.

I have Type 1 so it may be different for you, but I found the Pill put my blood sugar up, which I presume was due to the hormones.

Reactions: 2 people

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I know some woman increase their iron levels on their menstrual period.
I don't notice a change but my bgs are relatively erratic on insulin so very difficult to pin point without my other factors (eg Stress).
I'm sure now you've been able to identify the cause something will be suggested.
Sorry I'm no more help.
They say type 2 is mainly diet controlled so I do suggest eating beef or other iron filled foods and see if any help.
I'll be interested to see what your gp suggests. :)
Thanks ickihun, I'll give the iron a try. I've noticed the pattern every month for a while now, so I know it's not coincidence.

It'll be interesting to see what my GP says as he admits he knows nothing about RH! I'm hoping he'll refer me back to the Endocrinologist, but I doubt it!

Will let you know how it goes on Tuesday

Reactions: 2 people

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Many women here find blood sugar control more erratic at certain times of the month. I don't have RH but even before I was diagnosed with diabetes I felt different in a blood sugar way before my period. I found I used to have to watch what I ate as although I craved carbs, too many made me me feel worse.

Definitely get your doctor's advice. I don't know if you're already doing this but keeping a food/symptoms/BS diary might help you see what's happening.

I have Type 1 so it may be different for you, but I found the Pill put my blood sugar up, which I presume was due to the hormones.
Thanks azure, it's good to know I'm not the only one! I feel like I'm going mad sometimes, I just wish my body would function normally again! This whole glucose/RH problem as developed so quickly I can't keep up with it all.

It's interesting that the pill put your bs up, that's definitely something for me to consider if that's what the GP suggests. I've been keeping a diary for some time, that's how I've been able to spot the pattern x

Reactions: 4 people

alicerebekah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on the depo injection and it's brilliant! No time of the months so I've found I don't really have any spikes etc x

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too found the pill to increase blood sugar levels and I had to stop taking it. I can't help with the reactive hypo situation because I'm type 1 and can adjust my basal insulin levels to stop that time of the month from playing havoc with my sugars.
My GP at the time had no idea about the pill increasing blood sugar levels but my local family planning clinic were really helpful. If your GP is unsure, someone at your local clinic may have an idea or experience with this kind of thing?

Hope you sort it out!