Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not followed the book but here is my menu for today

Breakfast
100g 0% Greek yogurt with 30g blueberries and 2 coffees with Milk - 78 cals

Lunch
Cheese omelette with 2 eggs and 25 g cheese and baby leaf salad and a Granny Smith Apple -348 cals

Dinner
115g salmon fillet, babyleaf salad with 3 cherry toms and 10g Feta cheese and a 25g Phili on top of salmon with broccoli - 345 cals

2 coffees 30 cals

Total 796 calories.

I had the salmon in the freezer, I bought it when it was reduced, it was slightly bigger than I planned. and was about 250 cals. Big pot of yougurt has lasted me all week.

I am used to calorie counting as I have been doing the 5:2 diet for the last year. I log everything into my fitness pal to help me plan my meals.View attachment 17242

Thanks Donna - I was really hoping @Victorri (or you, I guess) would give me an idea of the actual book menus, so that I could try to understand why Victorri's food bill was so high, at £80 for 5600 calories worth of food.

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just leant the book to my daughter but I will see what I can find for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have bought the book on kindle and I am gonna read it as soon as possible. If people want me too look after specific things, I can do it, menus and so forth, gonna post a review as soon as possible

Reactions: 2 people

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I get home I'll take a pic. I would have to but most of the stuff as unfortunately I'm still quite a high carb eater but am more conscious of how much I eat now and trying to get lower but really struggling with coming up with meals that will satisfy my husband as well

captainlynne

Progress report. After 4 weeks on this plan: lost 16 pounds, down 7 inches from waist and fasting bloods consistently in the 5s. Bloods at bedtime in 4s or 5s. I even coped with a meal out at a conference. Had to pre-order menu and chose beef (completely forgetting the huge Yorkshire pudding they serve). I declined a dessert. Previously they've served veg and potatoes separately, but this year they came in one serving dish - carrots, potatoes, parsnips and a few bits of leek! On the plate was the beef, Yorkshire and mashed potato. I moved the mash and Yorkshire to the side and took some carrots and as much leek as I could find. Although the desserts were small, I was glad I'd not ordered one. I feel so much better that I didn't want to jeopardise that feeling. Talking to a friend about this plan, I mentioned that my 'carbohydrate fog' has lifted - I'm thinking more clearly, have more energy and my joints ache less. I'm eating a greater variety of foods, which are better for me. I live on my own, but don't know if that makes it easier or not. I've even bought a food flask so I can take home-made soup, curry, chilli etc to work. For someone who really didn't like many vegetables - or fish - my shopping basket has changed, my fridge and freezer are full of things I know I can eat. I'm not following many of the recipes from the book, but working out my own menus, sticking to the principles of the plan, and the 800 calories a day. I write everything in a small notebook, and take it when I see my diabetes nurse. The plan is being published in the Daily Mail, starting today.

Reactions: 12 people

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1452964450.357869.jpg

This is week ones menu

Reactions: 6 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Cheesy baked beans! What a great combination of words :woot:

Do the recipes state net carb values? Thanks.

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1452965113.992839.jpg

No they just tell you cals. The book is aimed at type 2 but they still need to know the carbs.

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dietician told me not to inject for beans but I have to

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Victorri Thanks for posting the information. Seems odd to me that a book about blood sugar management would not state carbs.

(Lovely cat, by the way)

Reactions: 12 people

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Until you asked the question I hadn't really noticed but your right there are not carb values. Thanks his name is Angus

Alternative Diabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes...want to find a cure !
That's interesting. I hadn't heard of that publication. Sounds like you're making progress. Are you newly diagnosed, or trying something different?
The diet is being featured in the Daily Mail Newspaper all this week ....(16/1/16)

anniwoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
beetroot, Simon Cowell and spiders
Could you give a sample day's menu please, so that I might begin to understand why it might cost so much? I'm not doubting what you say; not having read the book, I couldn't have a clue, but having adopted a lower carb way of eating, I find that taking into account the things no longer bought (for me), like bread, pasta and a reduced amount of alcohol, it isn't any more expensive than my previous way of eating, and we have always eaten very well.

One comment I would make though is that is that some people found they have had an initial increase in their budgets as they buy new store cupboard items, but many store cupboard items last a while and wouldn't usually all need to be bought at once.
Just to let you know the Daily Mail is doing a section starting Monday on this diet containing recipies might be worth a look to give you an idea of whats involved

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ah...that makes sense.
Hi NoCrbs4Me, I have a few questions nagging me re low carb diet. I would like to ask as you have been on VLC diet for long. These questions are for a normal person (NON - T2D) person; BMI below 24, low body fat which is 18%; but have a strong family history of T2D.
- This is me obviously. My carbs per day are around 200g presently.

1. Is there any harm a Non-T2D person takes up VLC diet [around 50g carb per day]?
2. I am now facing a weight loss plateau for more than 3 months. Whatever I do, my weight is simply constant. If I stop workouts or increase diet will increase my weight. Especially diet - it is 3 successive heavy meals = 4 lbs weight gain for me. Rice and potatoes are worst weight adders for me. Question: Does this inability to lose weight indicate onset of T2D?

3. On other hand I tried to gain weight deliberately; by doing weights and eating rice+potato - Could gain 4lbs quickly - out of which muscle weight added is about 75%; and fat weight is about 25%.

Basically my body is in a mood to add weight, no doubt about it. I am trying hard to cut my fat and of course weight also by a few more lbs. My plan is to save VLC and LCHF diets for future when I get the T2D finally.

Any insights?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi NoCrbs4Me, I have a few questions nagging me re low carb diet. I would like to ask as you have been on VLC diet for long. These questions are for a normal person (NON - T2D) person; BMI below 24, low body fat which is 18%; but have a strong family history of T2D.
- This is me obviously. My carbs per day are around 200g presently.

1. Is there any harm a Non-T2D person takes up VLC diet [around 50g carb per day]?
2. I am now facing a weight loss plateau for more than 3 months. Whatever I do, my weight is simply constant. If I stop workouts or increase diet will increase my weight. Especially diet - it is 3 successive heavy meals = 4 lbs weight gain for me. Rice and potatoes are worst weight adders for me. Question: Does this inability to lose weight indicate onset of T2D?

3. On other hand I tried to gain weight deliberately; by doing weights and eating rice+potato - Could gain 4lbs quickly - out of which muscle weight added is about 75%; and fat weight is about 25%.

Basically my body is in a mood to add weight, no doubt about it. I am trying hard to cut my fat and of course weight also by a few more lbs. My plan is to save VLC and LCHF diets for future when I get the T2D finally.

Any insights?

Why, if something works for so many others who have struggled to lose weight, would yu choose to save the experience for a rainy day? Would it be sensible to consider adopting such a lifestyle now and potentially stave off T2?

For those whose bodies very much tend to add weight, it can be a sign of insulin resistance, which tends to be prevalent in T2.

Have you had any recent blood panels done? If you have, did they do an HbA1c test?