Hypo help!

Sequinn15

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I got diagnosed type 2 about 3 weeks ago. My fasting blood sugar was 7.9 and the other one (the HB one?!) was 54.

My doctor didn't tell me much other than to cut out sugar and take metformin. I've gone on a low carb diet and I haven't really had any side effects from the metformin other than reduced appetite and a couple of dashes to the loo! I started on 1 metformin for a week, then 1 at breakfast and 1 at dinner, then 1 with each meal. Today is the start of week four and the first day I've had 2 tablets in one go, with breakfast.

Just before lunch I got hungry, shaky and panicky - is that a hypo? I don't understand why I've had one now as I have been really careful with my meals and snacks. I'm feeling a bit panicky still and worrying about having more while I look after my 2 year old. Generally feeling a bit confused and overwhelmed by it all!

Not seeing the diabetes nurse till next Tuesday.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you test your blood sugar when you felt like that?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok. Some people with Type 2 do test their blood sugar. If you have a look in the Type 2 section you should see info about that.

IN the meantime, you could maybe phone your doctor or nurse and just tell them how you felt and get some reassurance. I understand why you're worried when you have a young child with you. That's why I'd check just to put your mind at rest :)

Reactions: 4 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have a testing kit as my Dr said I didn't need to
you should ask your drs to give you a reader, everyone should check their sugar once in a while if you feel like this the only thing i can suggest is test.
Give your drs a ring and demand one as they a bit funny giving machines out to type 2 diabetics

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. All diabetics need a meter so ignore the surgery view on that which is to save the NHS money. Do buy a meter such as the SD Codefree online which has low-cost test strips. Occasionally people suffer false hypos when drastically changing their diet together with Metformin. With a meter you can tell if you go down to 4 or below which is hypo area. Hopefully all will settle down.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello, I got diagnosed type 2 about 3 weeks ago. My fasting blood sugar was 7.9 and the other one (the HB one?!) was 54.

My doctor didn't tell me much other than to cut out sugar and take metformin. I've gone on a low carb diet and I haven't really had any side effects from the metformin other than reduced appetite and a couple of dashes to the loo! I started on 1 metformin for a week, then 1 at breakfast and 1 at dinner, then 1 with each meal. Today is the start of week four and the first day I've had 2 tablets in one go, with breakfast.

Just before lunch I got hungry, shaky and panicky - is that a hypo? I don't understand why I've had one now as I have been really careful with my meals and snacks. I'm feeling a bit panicky still and worrying about having more while I look after my 2 year old. Generally feeling a bit confused and overwhelmed by it all!

Not seeing the diabetes nurse till next Tuesday.
Is the metformin the only meds you are on?
What sort of symptoms other than the hypo symptoms?

It could be a false hypo or something that has brought about the shaking etc.

Sequinn15

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is the metformin the only meds you are on?
What sort of symptoms other than the hypo symptoms?

It could be a false hypo or something that has brought about the shaking etc.

Metformin and 10mg citalopram for anxiety. It went off pretty quickly after I'd had lunch, so I'm starting to think it was a mild panic attack. Will definitely get a testing kit one way or another though!

Reactions: 4 people

Sequinn15

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. All diabetics need a meter so ignore the surgery view on that which is to save the NHS money. Do buy a meter such as the SD Codefree online which has low-cost test strips. Occasionally people suffer false hypos when drastically changing their diet together with Metformin. With a meter you can tell if you go down to 4 or below which is hypo area. Hopefully all will settle down.
Thank you, I will get a kit. I had gestational diabetes so I might still have one somewhere! My diet has changed a lot.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Metformin and 10mg citalopram for anxiety. It went off pretty quickly after I'd had lunch, so I'm starting to think it was a mild panic attack. Will definitely get a testing kit one way or another though!

Anxiety, I know about!

A big part of my undiagnosed symptoms at the time, and yes you could call them panic attacks! That is as a consequence of widely fluctuating blood glucose levels. Food attributes to your comfortable level of blood glucose. That's why your anxiety went away.

Think of it as refuelling your levels, you feel better when you are satiated having had enough carbs and sugars to top up your tank. You feel worse when your glucose stores are dwindling, your body is telling you to eat more so it can continue to feed on it!

The anxiety is triggered by the lack of the certain hormones that gives your brain the message to eat more. The more carbs, the more it wants, the more it wants, the worse symptoms!

You have to break that cycle, by depriving your body of the glucose by reducing your carbs and sugars to a level where the symptoms go. Its not easy, but the benefits are really good.

Believe me low carb works!

You need a testing kit to see if the anxiety is part of your hypo feelings!
That is the only way, you know what is actually happening!

Have a read of the low carb forum.
Also have a read of the link below, the one that says RH, the basics!

It has a lot of information about my symptoms and what I had to get through.

Reactions: 6 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Ok. Some people with Type 2 do test their blood sugar. If you have a look in the Type 2 section you should see info about that.

IN the meantime, you could maybe phone your doctor or nurse and just tell them how you felt and get some reassurance. I understand why you're worried when you have a young child with you. That's why I'd check just to put your mind at rest :)
If this is still causing you any anxiety please do seek your own GP's advice .
You will need some reassurance and your own care approach and plan .
Especially with a young chid with you every day .

A low carb plan can be improvised gradually .
A blood glucose test meter is a must - this way you can see visually what
your blood sugar levels sit at .
Plus you can tell and show your doctor what is happening with them .
Meters do have a memory of all blood sugars taken in them .

Last edited by a moderator: