Cardio and resistance same work out?

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to the gym tomorrow. I did cardio at the gym last week and it drove my bg levels down a bit. I also want to build a bit of muscle and Ive heard that can have the opposite effect. Can I balance the drop in bg with the rise in bg? If I do equal amounts of both in the same session, will they equal each other out or not? Thank you.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've found that when doing both, cardio brings my levels down more than the weights push them up. Guess you need to try it out to see what works for you.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, it's not as simple as half and half unfortunately. If I gave the time I look at cardio to get my bloods to 5 then weights as it will go up. Then cardio again if I'm climbing with a bit of insulin as needed. But test often.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@ChrisMaleType1 The experiments that Swansea Uni have done on timing of different types of exercise suggest the following:
  • Aerobic followed by anaerobic reduces the risk of lows post exercise.
  • Anaerobic followed by aerobic can increase the risk of post-exercise hypos.
It's worth noting that they also found that whilst two sets of 8 at about 70% of single rep max resistance training pushes levels up, continuing with a 3rd and 4th set causes muscles to suck glucose from the blood for fuel and bring the glucose levels down (all be it more slowly than they might have gone up). I saw this effect last night when doing Chest and Back weight training.

Ultimately, @Mrs Vimes is correct and you will need to test it out for yourself. What I've found is that some of the sessions I do have a significant impact on my bloods going up and others don't, usually when I've got a tiny amount of IOB left after a meal (and we are talking tiny, at the 3.5 to 4hr mark.

Reactions: 2 people

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks a lot for the replies. It turned out quite well in the end - started at 4.1, had some carbs went to 5.4 at middle of exercise, and then was 5.2 after exercise. Because it started low, I started with a little anaerobic, then did aerobic, and then finished with anaerobic. It was altogether quite tiring and I doubt it'll be quite that smooth in future but it was a good start for me.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This evening (between 6.30 and 7.30) I did a resistance session at about 70% of max doing 4x6s. The resultant liver dump and fuel suck back can be seen in the picture below:
44cdc712c6de3434343a8632f6c01b3d.jpg

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello Tims-2000s, how you measure your BS on your phone? how this graph was drawn? can you explain?

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
wow. this is a good post. I google it and found that we need to inject the sensor once and it will do the graph continuously. How painful is the first time insertion of sensor? I saw this on Amazon selling around 30USD, want to gift it to my bro and sis. Is it safe? Tim2000s - can you do a quick overview and a review? Is it safe for using? how accurate? what else we need to operate - like batteries and cables? there is one usb cable it seems. can we put the data on computer?

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
but Amazon reviews say that it is the normal type prick, draw blood and apply and then touch the sensor? no graph showing there? something amiss here. I am seeing wrong product? amazon does not quite have the same face of the product.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Generally speaking cardio isn't such a great idea if you want to build muscle. That said what do you hope to gain out of cardio and what kind of muscle gain are we speaking of? Also what is cardio for you? Is low intensity or high intensity, long duration or short ...

I think you can use some routines that include cardio to some extent but i think they're usually not done in the same day.

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it? I'm doing mainly low intensity cardio, to improve my overall fitness and hopefully improve my asthma. Short duration usually and low intensity. I'm a skinny person and Ive never had much muscle. I'd like my body to look a better.

Most articles advise on doing cardio and resistance on different days or at least starting with the one you want to concentrate on.

Last edited by a moderator:

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
low intensity cardio, to improve my overall fitness
it is the secret of keeping fit. Most people ignore low intensity workouts. You need to do slowly and around 12 - 15 reps will give excellent results. Keep it going. For running, you can google and read on 'developing aerobic base' - then folks can believe about low intensity

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it? I'm doing mainly low intensity cardio, to improve my overall fitness and hopefully improve my asthma. Short duration usually and low intensity. I'm a skinny person and Ive never had much muscle. I'd like my body to look a better.

Most articles advise on doing cardio and resistance on different days or at least starting with the one you want to concentrate on.

I'm not an expert on asthma so i can't say anything about it. But generally speaking to build muscle you need a proper diet. Remember that muscle is build in the kitchen not in the gym. Also cutting some corners here but you'll need more calls than you burn to gain muscle (remember really cutting corners here) and loads of protein. When doing cardio even low intensity you're burning calls thus making it harder to gain muscle. Though it's not impossible to gain aerobic fitness while improving muscle mass. For me i try to cycle to work as much as possible while increasing strength and i'm successful so far. Even dropped some weight in the process (<1kg) while increasing muscle mass and strength. I monitor it by weighing myself once a week and taking measurements once every month.

A "new" way of doing stuff is DUP (daily undulated periodization) and i would figure you can easily incorporate cardio in a weekly routine. Basically you concentrate on something different on a daily basis. You like cardio so why not a split that goes cardio - muscle - cardio - recovery ... and continue. Put about 5 seconds of thought into that last one so don't pin yourself down on it but just to show there is a way. Also the key is to increase intensity/weight or you won't have results in the long run.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, i've had one to many beers to explain it properly to be honest .. especially in a foreign language.