Whey protein whats best

kevinf1967

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thinking of using whey protein to add to healthy smooties any recommendations?

Any recipe's that people use ???

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning,

I use the stuff from My Protein..... the chocolate mint is lovely. I don't add it to smoothies, but I do use it as the occasional meal replacement. I've tried a few but this one is well priced and good quality. I did try the Holland & Barret own brand but really didn't like the taste.

Reactions: 2 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also like My Protein True Whey - my favourite is Straciatella, tastes like ice cream! Sadly, nowadays it's only an occasional treat as my BG gets slightly elevated by it :(

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So, two things. When you use whey, always go for the one that contains as high a percentage of Whey Protein Isolate that you can. This is the most refined form of Whey and My Protein sell a version.

Secondly, whey protein can raise blood glucose levels in diabetics as it causes an insulin reaction with no carbs, due to the amino acid levels. This also solicits a glucagon release and T1s see noticeable increases, T2s usually see some increase, though it varies for different T2s.

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@tim2000s - From your comment, would you choose the 'Impact Whey Isolate' (23g protein per serving) over the 'Impact Whey Protein' (21g protein per serving) - also would you bolus the same as normal protein (1/2 bolus)? Thanks

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@tim2000s - From your comment, would you choose the 'Impact Whey Isolate' (23g protein per serving) over the 'Impact Whey Protein' (21g protein per serving) - also would you bolus the same as normal protein (1/2 bolus)? Thanks
Yes, I use the My Protein "Impact Whey Isolate" - the Salted Caramel flavour is good.

In terms of bolusing, yes and no. Generally, yes I do bolus the same as normal protein, but be wary as if you are taking it after training, your muscles may be in glucose suck back mode and you can cause a low, so it's worth making sure that you test carefully to make sure you understand how it affects you.

Reactions: 2 people