LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

tracydowse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At last I can actually feel included in the lchf success stories. My BGs improved immediately on starting this diet but no weight loss. Last week I decided to calorie count with it. As the same time I was prescribed canagliflozin 100g.
I've now lost 12lb hurray! :)

Well done. After 10 years as type 2 I have managed to improve my blood sugars to almost pre diabetic levels (and dropped most meds) by trying not to eat more than 100 grams of carbs a day. I have also tried to stick to around 1500 cals a day and have now lost 4 stone since last January. I cannot tell you how much better I feel. Persevere and the results will speak for themselves.

Reactions: 14 people

tracydowse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you use the free diabetic cookbook recipes from this site at all?
I used diabetic recipes from this site and diabetes.org. I could not have done without them as many are complete meals. I printed many off and put them in a folder and then planned and cooked the meals I fancied. I also cooked double portions and put them in the freezer for when I didn't have time to cook. This really helped me and the results are more than worth it and I am still using my folder and enjoying the meals one year on.

Reactions: 7 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well done. After 10 years as type 2 I have managed to improve my blood sugars to almost pre diabetic levels (and dropped most meds) by trying not to eat more than 100 grams of carbs a day. I have also tried to stick to around 1500 cals a day and have now lost 4 stone since last January. I cannot tell you how much better I feel. Persevere and the results will speak for themselves.
Thank you. Your post is just what I need at the moment. Thanks for your support. :)

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thyroid is working more for it's self so if still the case in 3 months time we are reducing my levothyroxine. I'll see Wednesday if any more weight loss. :)

Reactions: 2 people

November1115

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I just have to add my story here.... was diagnosed in November last year.... when I was sent for my "blood tests" I realised what my GP was suspecting. So I googled reversing diabetes and read everything on dietdoctor as well as watched videos on diabetes. I launched myself into low carbs (diagnosis confirmed hba1c 5.6, embracing pork meats etc ..... last week my hba1c was 51. . hooray!! :D Nowadays I eat duck, pork, beef and sausages..... .. :)

Reactions: 8 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I enter this here because I believe it is due to my following the LCHF diet. Today I had my appointment for diabetic screening, i..e. bloods, lipid panel, weight, height, urine etc prior to GP annual MOT next week. For the first time in 6 years my U sample was 100% clear ( so to speak). No glucose, no protein, no infection. Hooray !. Added to that my weight, which has fallen 2 kg per 6 months for some time now, has remained static even though I am low carbing. I have to wait for lab results to see how my cholesterol has gone, but when I told the practice nurse I had stopped the statins, she reckoned my LCHF diet was working well and agreed it should also send my lipids in the right direction. She seemed to understand what the diet does, and I feel I have found another ally. I had reservations over LCHF, but these are being demolished one by one, and I am happy to recommend it in my postings. The last hurdle comes next week with the GP, but I think my last HBA1c should seal it.

We had a lovely Christmas, and used the DCUK XMAS Cookbook for our snacks and main meal. Yes, it did push up my bgl for that week, but I recovered within 1 day of starting LCHF again. The main point is that ALL the LC recipes we used were well received by all the family, including my fussy daughter and son, and we are continuing to use this diet for all of us.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No weight loss last 3 months but I lost then added over christmas. Arrr!
Next Christmas hopefully will be different.
So off to low carb prepare. :)
Looking forward to next hospital appointment.
I might not weigh myself til then.
Just remembered I have FLO asking once a week. :-\

Reactions: 6 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
After reading a few posts here I realise that I'm going to have to calorie count as well as LCHF I have been stuck at same weight for 2 months now despite getting lots of exercise. Having bloods in "normal" range is most important to me but I'd also like to shift that extra 2 stones! Here's hoping!

Reactions: 9 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
After reading a few posts here I realise that I'm going to have to calorie count as well as LCHF I have been stuck at same weight for 2 months now despite getting lots of exercise. Having bloods in "normal" range is most important to me but I'd also like to shift that extra 2 stones! Here's hoping!
@13lizanne I might go back on myfitnesspal it really helped me keep on the straight and narrow. Then I judged what I needed but xmas has confused me.
I think some people have to calorie count too.
Cheese is very fatty but then it hasn't affected my cholesterol but hasnt reduced it either.
Eating to my meter today.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Last time I counted calories was in the 1990s :) I know that my portions are too big and, like yourself and many others I'm sure, I let down my guard over Christmas. I do love cheese and have been eating loads, not weighing or even measuring by eye. In fact, I'm off to get some now :)

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am doing LCHF. But counting the carbs is too difficult, Its a nightmare to weigh every thing. I wonder how to count calories too. for carbs i just make a guess.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I guess carbs. I just eat as low as I can.
Myfitnesspal can help alot. Only as accurate as you imput though.

Reactions: 4 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am doing LCHF. But counting the carbs is too difficult, Its a nightmare to weigh every thing. I wonder how to count calories too. for carbs i just make a guess.
Hi, you can find lists of calorific content for foods if you Google calorie counter. Or, you can buy a booklet in Newsagents there are several different ones, some give branded foods calories as well as basics. It is a faff though counting calories, good luck if you decide to go down that road.

carpcatcher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lots
on 19/08/15 weighing 16st 12lb was diagnosed t2 put on metformin 500mg x2 after reading various post on diabetes forum decided to go for a low carb diet and cut out the lagers kebabs and the like last saturday had hb1ac taken again and on wednesday was told to come the meds as my bloods were normal so low carb a sensible exercise and general life style change can alter your diabetes weight now after 5 months 13st 8lbs and still falling (huge smile on my face right now ;-) ) good luck peeps for the future

Reactions: 10 people

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Oh thank you so much I am ordering that book tomorrow.

honda 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
old age
We have endless debates and arguments about what constitutes a healthy diet. It seems one man's carb is another man's poision.
One common concern, however, is that newly diagnosed visitors will get mixed messages from the conflicting opinions. I have therefore decided that it's time for a wee census. I know of many members who have gained control of their condition by adopting a low(er) carb diet, but then found no further use for the forum, taken their normal blood sugars and disappeared. I would like us to gather statements from diabetics who have found success by restricting their carbohydrate intake, by whatever amount.
So please let us know if you have succeeded in managing your diabetes by restricting your carbs.
If you can supply before and after figures for diet, blood sugar readings, HbA1c, weight, weight or lipids it will all help to build a picture of how real people are getting on.
Oh, and the arguments won't be tolerated here but can be continued elsewhere!

All the best,

fergus
We have endless debates and arguments about what constitutes a healthy diet. It seems one man's carb is another man's poision.
One common concern, however, is that newly diagnosed visitors will get mixed messages from the conflicting opinions. I have therefore decided that it's time for a wee census. I know of many members who have gained control of their condition by adopting a low(er) carb diet, but then found no further use for the forum, taken their normal blood sugars and disappeared. I would like us to gather statements from diabetics who have found success by restricting their carbohydrate intake, by whatever amount.
So please let us know if you have succeeded in managing your diabetes by restricting your carbs.
If you can supply before and after figures for diet, blood sugar readings, HbA1c, weight, weight or lipids it will all help to build a picture of how real people are getting on.
Oh, and the arguments won't be tolerated here but can be continued elsewhere!

All the best,

fergus

Reactions: 2 people

honda 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
old age
on 19/08/15 weighing 16st 12lb was diagnosed t2 put on metformin 500mg x2 after reading various post on diabetes forum decided to go for a low carb diet and cut out the lagers kebabs and the like last saturday had hb1ac taken again and on wednesday was told to come the meds as my bloods were normal so low carb a sensible exercise and general life style change can alter your diabetes weight now after 5 months 13st 8lbs and still falling (huge smile on my face right now ;-) ) good luck peeps for the future
Hi everyone and well done to those on a low carb diet, my weight was 13 stone 8 pounds, height 5 ft 6 in,
Hb1a 55, bmi of 30.7, now weigh
10st 7lbs ,hba1 of 48,bmi of 23.7
Try to have 80 to 100 carbs per day.
P's I could not have done this without
The help of the carbs & Cal's app on my phone, it's great.
Keep trying you will get there
Roy.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Following on....
Diagnosed on 29.6.2006 HbA1c was92 (10.6) 13 stones went on to low glycemic load diet and Metformin carried on like that for 9yrs gaining + losing a few pounds all the time
HbA1c on 13/8/2016- 65 (8.1) Blood Pressure 140 over 80 found this forum started lchf diet on 22/8/2016
HbA1c on 25/11/2016- 40 (5.8) Blood Pressure 101 over 59 weight under just 11 stones.
They didn't test lipids cholesterol etc but I have been off medication since early November and am lchf diet and exercise controlled now. So far, so good. My BG readings are pretty steady ranging from 4.7 to 7.8 but usually in the 5s to 6.4 range. If I eat higher carb anytime - my BG readings shoot up. LCHF works for me I've never felt so well

Reactions: 10 people