LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

honda 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
old age
Following on....
Diagnosed on 29.6.2006 HbA1c was92 (10.6) 13 stones went on to low glycemic load diet and Metformin carried on like that for 9yrs gaining + losing a few pounds all the time
HbA1c on 13/8/2016- 65 (8.1) Blood Pressure 140 over 80 found this forum started lchf diet on 22/8/2016
HbA1c on 25/11/2016- 40 (5.8) Blood Pressure 101 over 59 weight under just 11 stones.
They didn't test lipids cholesterol etc but I have been off medication since early November and am lchf diet and exercise controlled now. So far, so good. My BG readings are pretty steady ranging from 4.7 to 7.8 but usually in the 5s to 6.4 range. If I eat higher carb anytime - my BG readings shoot up. LCHF works for me I've never felt so well
Well done keep it up

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My weight loss has come to a stop. I blame a carby xmas eve and day. I'm hoping it will start again.
I have been able to reduce my humulin m3 insulin jections from 3 to 1.
I was having 30, 30 then 60 units a day. I now use 40 units with a late dinner to suppress a high morning fbg. Dinner is my problem. If it's fatty but low carb I don't get hungry but don't lose weight either.
I'm working on this problem now I buy the right food and keep it stocked up in tins or in the freezer.
I hope one day my struggle will benefit many.
I also hope I never again have a carby xmas. It was out of peer pressure and I was losing weight nicely. Bit annoyed.
Fingers crossed my weight starts losing again. I'll keep you posted. -:)

Reactions: 6 people

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For those who are finding it difficult to count or keep track of carbs and/or calories, I think the Carbs and Cals app on my phone is brilliant! If you don't want the app, there's also a book. It's so easy - I look after a number of T1s at school and they all use it with ease.

You are supposed to be able to add in your exercise, but there is a problem with this part of the app - supposed to be sorted shortly. It will be amazing then!!

Sorry if it has been mentioned before.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had my 6 monthly diabetic smart appointment ........(now reduced to 12 monthly because of my results) :)

Diagnosed 2013 and from memory my stats were hbA1c of 58, cholesteryl of 5.9, blood pressure of 140/95 +

meandered on til the end of last summer (hba1c was 64 I think), sometimes good with diet sometimes bad, got very bad at the end of sept with bloods in the high teens to 20.........

started to get neuropathy in my big toes , so had to bite the bullet and a lifestyle change was in order..............

Have never been a runner or liked walking or cardio much but have always lifted weights so just modified them a bit (lighter weights/higher reps/ increased frequency)....................
LCHF with carbs under 40g a day
Went teetotal (ish)

Had a blip over Xmas but todays results

HbA1c = 6.2% (44)
Chol = 5.4
Good Chol =1.5
BP = 128/80
Weight = 111kg (down from 124kg)

I put it down to mostly LCHF as I went teetotal a year or so before for 3 months and have always lifted...:) and did not get anywhere near these results..........

And my nurse was quite happy with me doing LCHF but just warned me not to cut them out completely.........

Another couple of stone to go but all good so far :)

Reactions: 12 people

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still new - but successful so far!

Diagnosed Oct 2, with an A1C of 7.2%, and a fasting BG reading of 7.6 mmol/l.

I was told to check occasionally 2 hours after eating and make sure it was below 10 mmol/l.

Within a few hours of research (that same day), I switched to low carb. I've switched some of the protein I was eating the first few days for fat - but since diagnosis I've eaten fewer than 50 net carbs a day - generally no more than 20 in any 3 hour period. I have a carb cap of 20 net/3 hour period, 50 net per day, a protein goal of 60 grams per day, a calorie cap of 1200 (I'm very short), and whatever is left in the calorie cap I fill up with fats.

I struggle to eat 1200 calories most days because I find most of what I am able to eat so unappetizing. I prefer my fats mixed with sugar, or conveyed to my belly on top of a slab of whole grain - and the thought of adding fats just for the sake of meeting my calorie goal without exceeding carb or protein is a pain.

I can count on one hand the readings I've had above 7.7, and on 2 hands the number of readings above 7.2 (out of a total of around 360 readings). My testing average is 6 mmol/liter. Because I intentionally look for highs, I expect my A1C to be below 5.39% - since my true average is lower than 6 mmol/liter.

I was 89.5 kg at diagnosis. I am now 74.4 kg, with a goal of 59 kg (I'll likely hit that around June).

My cholesterol was on the high end of the non-diabetic ranges before diagnosis - but since diagnosis slashes what is acceptable, I was instantly in trouble on cholesterol (I don't have the numbers handy). I expect the weight loss will resolve that - I'l know in March when I am scheduled for my next set of testing (including an NMR testing, so that we're evaluating the size of particles as well as the quantity).

Exercise will have to wait until summer (aside from climbing the stairs to my office). I have a job that requires close to 80 hours a week during the spring semester - so I will be watching what stress and lack of sleep do to my BG readings (I already know that lack of sleep influences it).

Reactions: 15 people

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Too early to call myself a success, but I am now officially overweight (as opposed to obese) for the first time in 10 years. I am due a HbA1c over the next few weeks, but my own BS measurement suggests I am getting down close to target. I have to be honest and say I haven't really struggled with the diet. I no longer crave for high carbs. The challenge is fitting in with the family and a social life.

Reactions: 10 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My weight loss has come to a stop. I blame a carby xmas eve and day. I'm hoping it will start again.
I have been able to reduce my humulin m3 insulin jections from 3 to 1.
I was having 30, 30 then 60 units a day. I now use 40 units with a late dinner to suppress a high morning fbg. Dinner is my problem. If it's fatty but low carb I don't get hungry but don't lose weight either.
I'm working on this problem now I buy the right food and keep it stocked up in tins or in the freezer.
I hope one day my struggle will benefit many.
I also hope I never again have a carby xmas. It was out of peer pressure and I was losing weight nicely. Bit annoyed.
Fingers crossed my weight starts losing again. I'll keep you posted. -:)
Unfortunately canagliflozin gave me very bad thrush and after suffering nearly 3 yrs with it in recent yrs I couldn't put up with it. I've added 6lb and adding due to stabilizing bgs on more insulin.
I'm pleased to add I've now stabilized and looking forward to losing again with lchf and insulin. I lost 2 stones in the past on metformin but it doesn't agree with me either. Hum.... I wonder if I should ask to try it again now on a better diet?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately canagliflozin gave me very bad thrush and after suffering nearly 3 yrs with it in recent yrs I couldn't put up with it. I've added 6lb and adding due to stabilizing bgs on more insulin.
I'm pleased to add I've now stabilized and looking forward to losing again with lchf and insulin. I lost 2 stones in the past on metformin but it doesn't agree with me either. Hum.... I wonder if I should ask to try it again now on a better diet?
Hi Ickyhun. Are you aware that the FDA in America issued 3 safety notices in 2015 for Canagliflozin. one for increased risk of CVE and stroke, one for increased risk of ketoacidosis, and one for decreased bone density leading to fractures. in addition it appears to increase LDL and decrease HDL which is going the wrong way.

They have not withdrawn the drug, but have requested further studies that should report later next year. These safety notices cover the family of meds, and thus probably apply also to Forxiga, which is the one I was put on for a short while. I too suspended it when I got severe thrush, i am not aware of any warnings in place in this country.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thankyou @Oldvatr. I didn't know but wow it makes sense of my leg/ foot numbness which has now gone. Neither wonder I was sent to A&E via out of hours doc. Mind u I was tested for DVT. Thank you for the heads up. :) :) :)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou @Oldvatr. I didn't know but wow it makes sense of my leg/ foot numbness which has now gone. Neither wonder I was sent to A&E via out of hours doc. Mind u I was tested for DVT. Thank you for the heads up. :) :) :)
I don't like being the messenger of doom, but because i was on a similar med myslf, I was shocked at how this information is missing from our doctors knowledge. I had the same goings on when i managed to get the trials report on Rosiglitizone, which quite clearly showed an invreased risk of strokes, but the summary report given tio the FDA had this info redacted so the drug trial was deemed to be safe. We know different now. We have the same situation with statins.

i am no longer on a glitizone or a statin, and have stopped Forziga.

I wondered why you had gone quiet on this forum this last couple of weeks, Hope things are better now. LCHF seems to be a good way to go, it works for me, but I need to keep my weight static, which it seems to be at the moment.

darkazana

Hi
I was diagnosed type 2 in November 2014. Scared the pants off me but read everything I could lay my hands on as doctor was pretty useless, just told me to go away and control it by diet, and do at least 6000 steps a day. I weighed just over 11 stone.
Found a book called The Reverse Diabetes Diet Book, mainly about becoming a vegan but had some pretty good tips in it, also got the Carbs and Cals book, mentioned above and the Collins Gem GI how To Succeed Using A Glycaemic Index Diet book. All excellent resources. Anthony Worrall Thompsons Diabetes recipe books are excellent too.
Joined My Fatsecret on the web as they too have excellent resources for tracking your meals, and can be very supportive, and hubby bought me a Fitbit One for Christmas. I was totally dedicated to changing my lifestyle, which I didn't think was that bad, I always home cook my food and always thought our meals were well balanced. My problem was portion size and that a box of chocolates could disappear in a night, so it was mega cut back time. I also swapped a lot of foods, wholemeal bread to soya and linseed, semi skimmed milk for almond milk, ordinary potatoes for sweet potatoes, though usually I just have extra veg and no potatoes, white rice for brown, and bulking dishes out with beans and pulses. More oaty breakfasts, I make my own muesli as I know what goes in it, all stuff I learned from the books I mentioned above. I kept to the GDA recommendations of Fat 70g Sat fat 20g Carbs230g Sugars 90g fibre 24g and protein 45g, I walk for at least 30 minutes a day at a brisk pace (use the treadmill when I can or Wii fit fitness coach dvd, and sometimes yoga.) getting in at least 6000 steps a day.
Next check up sugars and cholesterol were back to normal and weight was coming down.
Last check up in November 2015 doctor told me I was basically diabetes free and had lost 3 stone on the way (back to a size 10 which I never thought I would see again). Treated myself, threw away all my old clothes and got new wardrobe so that I have no comfortable clothes should I start to stray.
I know that I shall be regarded as diabetic now for the rest of my life, and shall have to still have regular check ups and in a way that is good as it will keep me focussed. And I love me now as I am.
I now have the occasional cake, chocolate or pudding treat but temper it with the rest of my meals for the day, and actually find that I feel ill if I now eat too much of the sweet stuff.
I just wanted to put this on to show that if you want it enough it can be done, but you do have to be very single minded about it and get your family to support you. My husband has been great, tried new, not always successful, recipes and he too now eats some of my healthier options such as soya and linseed bread.
Be Strong. It can be done :)

Reactions: 2 people

SugarJunkie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is really inspiring. I'm eight days into zero processed sugar and low carb. I way 14st 7lb and this has been a very difficult week. I've done it though and I'm determined to keep going.

How do you manage away from home? I travel a lot for work and end up eating out. I'm away next week and worried about it a bit

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
@darkazana that's great . Fab.
I have a similar story to you except for the carbs , I reduced mine most of the time ( below 100 unless I have a blow out ) , 230g would be far to much for me. Just goes to show that everyone is an individual

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
This is really inspiring. I'm eight days into zero processed sugar and low carb. I way 14st 7lb and this has been a very difficult week. I've done it though and I'm determined to keep going.

How do you manage away from home? I travel a lot for work and end up eating out. I'm away next week and worried about it a bit
Hi @SugarJunkie .
The best way is to buy what you like but throw out the window all the rules of dining. For example. I buy starters for my main and main without carb for my starter. I push the carb to one side or onto an empty small bowl/plate. Or my o/h or one of the kids have it. Or order a few starters or side orders to make up your meal. Give it a go!

Reactions: 8 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done @darkazana, excellent results on HbA1c and weight loss! I know what you mean about clothes, my waistline has been decreasing. I was wearing 36" size trousers last August, and I'm now wearing 30" trousers and looking for 28" sizes now which aren't easy to find, but it's a good problem to have! :)

Reactions: 3 people

darkazana

I work away from home 8 months a year as we work for the Caravan Club, and so live in our caravan most of the year, which has its own limitations. But eating out I settle for the low carb options on the menu, usually its the vegetarian option though they tend to be high in fat, usually having starters rather than a dessert if I want more than the main. This is also where the Collins gem GI Diet book comes into its own, as it is pocket sized and advises on all eating out aspects, from takeaways to restaurants, I ususally have a look at it before going out so if I know what kind of food I'm going for, eg Chinese, Curry, Pub Meal.

It is hard, but the thought of my health and the implications of diabetes kept me going.
Good luck and stay strong.

SugarJunkie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys, I'm still really trying with the low carb, still no processed sugar, no sweeteners and real food. I'm using my fitness pal to carb count and was surprised today that I was over 50grams. I checked it out and it says 12grams of carbs for a latte, is this right? I thought full fat dairy was ok?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, I'm still really trying with the low carb, still no processed sugar, no sweeteners and real food. I'm using my fitness pal to carb count and was surprised today that I was over 50grams. I checked it out and it says 12grams of carbs for a latte, is this right? I thought full fat dairy was ok?
Depends on which dairy you're talking about - butter, cream, cheese are all usually very low in carbs. Full fat, unflavoured Greek yoghurt is usually reasonably low carb. Milk is a different story as it contains quite a lot of lactose, ie. a carb.

RobPL

I'm nowhere near my target yet but been doing low carb for a month and I'm now class 1 obese instead of class 2. Really happy!