Canadian Diebetes. can you believe this

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's strange, though, that even when they see patients who reverse their diabetes, they don't get it. I tell my diabetes nurse what I eat and I don't think she gets that the way I eat is why I don't have diabetes any more. And, of course, it must be frustrating when your patients get progressively worse despite all the advice you give them. They must think most patients ignore their advice and lie about it.

Yes. I hear you. Strange indeed. Tim Noakes (I think it was, in SA) talks about 'cognitive dissonance' and I agree with him. You, sitting there with your fabulous BG control/reversal, and the only way they can make sense of it, even with you telling them how to do it, is to.... go very very quiet. Not see you. Not hear you. Not hear what you are saying. Because what you are, what you saying, and your dietary treatment does not fit with the party line. (That happens to me here in NZ too.) (Not in Sweden. But they don't have the high numbers of diabetics either. And they have admitted the LCHF truth! If I can sound a bit religious here.)

I'm lucky that I have a sister who is a nurse here, and she does see me, and hears me. (And she is borderline prediabetic, so she has her own interests! And a daughter who may have inherited a particular fat storage pathway...) And she gets training in the party line in diabetes management, or managing diabetics lol. But I am pretty sure what I say and what she sees gets through to the diabetics she meets in her job, if the topic of dietary management comes up. Because of my numbers (and as we know - the talk is about the numbers which stands for what is happening in our livers and pancreas) she cannot help but be impressed, even convinced. (We talk about it.) There is hope!

And I had a fabulous diabetes nurse in Sweden, who never came out with any nonsense. And lead VLCD groups, and LCHF groups. Which is accepted as part of the treatment options by the state. Gives me hope we will get there! And the cognitive dissonance will be cut through, eventually...

Reactions: 2 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
First time ever I read this: toxic? Do you have any source of this for me?

yeah sure. But I will get back to you with my source and references (Mr Svea is beginning to chomp at the bit! We must go out!)

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So what kind of diet did you follow to control your diabetes?
I didn't do anything special. I've always used Becel margin, lots of stirfries, chicken etc . I never paid much attention until I had eye issues in 2000. All my tests were good.
I just had 2 Hardshell beef tacos for lunch, Chili cheese fries and a diet coke. Took 18 units NovoRapid and my BG is 6.4. I eat tacos and Mexican food a lot.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I didn't do anything special. I've always used Becel margin, lots of stirfries, chicken etc . I never paid much attention until I had eye issues in 2000. All my tests were good.
I just had 2 Hardshell beef tacos for lunch, Chili cheese fries and a diet coke. Took 18 units NovoRapid and my BG is 6.4. I eat tacos and Mexican food a lot.
Sorry, I thought you said you tried to control your diabetes with diet. My blood glucose never goes above 5.7 these days. I mostly eat bacon, eggs, and ribeye steaks.

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, I thought you said you tried to control your diabetes with diet. My blood glucose never goes above 5.7 these days. I mostly eat bacon, eggs, and ribeye steaks.
I did but it was not really changing my diet which was a good diet most of the time.
Most experts claim you can't reverse duabetes
http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/newly-diagnosed/getting-started/can-you-reverse-diabetes
I'm not sure but I tend to believe that they are right. There may be a window of opportunity but once you are full blown diabetic it isn't possible .
I often am in the 5 range.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I did but it was not really changing my diet which was a good diet most of the time.
Most experts claim you can't reverse duabetes
http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/newly-diagnosed/getting-started/can-you-reverse-diabetes
I'm not sure but I tend to believe that they are right. There may be a window of opportunity but once you are full blown diabetic it isn't possible .
I often am in the 5 range.

Yes, most "experts" say type 2 can't be reversed and will always get progressively worse. My own diabetes nurse believes this, even though I now have non-diabetic blood glucose levels. However, lots of people on this forum have gone from type 2 diabetes to normal blood glucose levels by changing their diet, even after years of being diabetic. Of course, this doesn't work for everyone. The big caveat is that you generally can't go back to eating the way you did before without it coming back, although some people do go back to eating what they did before without it coming back. My average blood glucose level is 4.3.

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, most "experts" say type 2 can't be reversed and will always get progressively worse. My own diabetes nurse believes this, even though I now have non-diabetic blood glucose levels. However, lots of people on this forum have gone from type 2 diabetes to normal blood glucose levels by changing their diet, even after years of being diabetic. Of course, this doesn't work for everyone. The big caveat is that you generally can't go back to eating the way you did before without it coming back, although some people do go back to eating what they did before without it coming back. My average blood glucose level is 4.3.
Yes my friend who is going to NZ on Sunday said she reversed her T2 . She is back on insulin. She followed a diet which seemed to work but not for that long.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was wondering if the diabetes would start attacking protein conversion if carbs not there? Only time will tell.
If the diabetes is an autoimmune version then it's possible?
I feel we're in new territory and the human body evolves.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I was wondering if the diabetes would start attacking protein conversion if carbs not there? Only time will tell.
If the diabetes is an autoimmune version then it's possible?
I feel we're in new territory and the human body evolves.
What do you mean by protein conversion?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
First time ever I read this: toxic? Do you have any source of this for me?

This is a good thread to reference this - as the poster boy doctor and researcher for hyperinsulinemia work is Canada's own Dr Jason Fung. This youtube video is not so great quality (there is a lot of cutlery clanking sounds in it for instance) but the theory and the research is well illustrated in the very good slides throughout the lecture.

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I find Dr Fungs's hypothesis interesting but many conclusions contrary to what I believe. I had my cardivascular issues after being on Metformin and Diamicron for 30 years. It was when I asked to go on insulin that I was given my 3rd stress test in 20 years that the blockages were found. I had great non medicated cholesterol levels . All previous stresstests were negative for blockage. My risk factors were at the lowest level. I disagree with many Of his conclusions.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I find Dr Fungs's hypothesis interesting but many conclusions contrary to what I believe. I had my cardivascular issues after being on Metformin and Diamicron for 30 years. It was when I asked to go on insulin that I was given my 3rd stress test in 20 years that the blockages were found. I had great non medicated cholesterol levels . All previous stresstests were negative for blockage. My risk factors were at the lowest level. I disagree with many Of his conclusions.
It is well known that type 2 diabetics have higher rates of cardiovascular disease.

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It is well known that type 2 diabetics have higher rates of cardiovascular disease.

That is true but Fung concludes that insulin causes Diabetes and a higher risk Of cardio events. He also concludes that Metformin is less likely to cause cardio issues. I was never on insulin when my blockages were found.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarabas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dr. Fun has interesting statistics and hypothesis. But - I don't see the whole hour - there where no medical proof or explanation in it. IMHO.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr. Fun has interesting statistics and hypothesis. But - I don't see the whole hour - there where no medical proof or explanation in it. IMHO.

Fung's presentation includes slides of references (difficult to see, because of camera position), but he has a very comprehensive website and has participated in many studies. He also publishes. So well worth you watching the whole thing and looking for his work and website online.

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
He had the usual assortment Of studies but makes several leaps to conclusions. How many times havevthese studies been proven inaccurate?
Our immune system is a complicated thing that I was told attacksvthe cells that produce insulin causing type 2 diabetes.
Our body produces insulin to conteract glucose and when you don't produce enough you deveope diabetes.
If Fung's conclusions are correct, why don't all obese people develop diabetes?

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Fun also concludes that a low A1c below 6 also puts you at higher risk Of cancer. Also that the use Of insulin to get A1c to 6 or lower equals higher risk Of cancer.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He had the usual assortment Of studies but makes several leaps to conclusions. How many times havevthese studies been proven inaccurate?
Our immune system is a complicated thing that I was told attacksvthe cells that produce insulin causing type 2 diabetes.
Our body produces insulin to conteract glucose and when you don't produce enough you deveope diabetes.
If Fung's conclusions are correct, why don't all obese people develop diabetes?

Well, i think you need to re-watch the video, for a start. You have misquoted Fung in the post i have quoted, and seem to be confused about at least some of his statements.

You also seem to be confused between the cause of T 1 and T2 diabetes.

I realise that you like having these opinions because they support your world view, but you would be more convincing if you used fact, not fiction to argue your case.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My trick is to test which foods send my blood sugar to dangerous levels, and then not eat them.

The result is non-diabetic blood glucose levels. No medication. No cost of medication. No side effects of medication.

Chance of developing diabetic complications = the same as a non-diabetic.

Works for me.

Is it really the same chance as a non-diabetic?

I hope so but I haven't seen any evidence to that effect.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Is it really the same chance as a non-diabetic?

I hope so but I haven't seen any evidence to that effect.
Unfortunately there aren't enough type 2 diabetics with non-diabetic blood glucose levels to provide the evidence.
However, I'd wager that it's likely true.