Good news and not so good...Fatty liver

letsy

I have raised enzymes for my liver and gp has said non-alcoholic fatty liver. I haven't been for scans or anything to identify if there is inflammation. Fatty liver scares me a lot more than a dx of diabetes. I guess there is so much message about diabetes being manageable but fatty liver feels like there are already complications and I'm petrified about it. I'm hoping losing weight will help.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have raised enzymes for my liver and gp has said non-alcoholic fatty liver. I haven't been for scans or anything to identify if there is inflammation. Fatty liver scares me a lot more than a dx of diabetes. I guess there is so much message about diabetes being manageable but fatty liver feels like there are already complications and I'm petrified about it. I'm hoping losing weight will help.
Yes it will help, as will reducing the amount of carbs (particularly fructose) that you consume. Fatty liver and diabetes (Type 2) and insulin resistance all tend to go hand in hand, though of course there are exceptions.

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Juicyjan
What kind of liver scan did you have? I'm asking my doc for a dexascan next week to see if he can confirm that's what is causing my pancreatic misfunction. Watching Dr Jason Fung's lectures he believes that fat around the liver and pancreas is the root cause of many of our insulin problems.
Hi Bulkbiker. I had an abdominal ultrasound scan because my blood test indicated raised something or other (can't remember!), which was how it was diagnosed. I'm certainly concerned about it, it came as a further shock after trying to get used to the fact that I have diabetes. I'm floundering a bit if I'm honest; that's out of character for me. Pancreas is a thing that I worry about as my dad had pancreatitis and was also T2. The outcome was not good.
Good luck with your request for a dexascan, let us know how you get on. Jan x

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi letsy. I know, it feels like a bit of a kick in the teeth although I understand that there are thousands of people that are unaware that they have it, and it doesn't necessarily cause a problem. I suppose its better to know and be able to deal with it :rolleyes: good luck. Jan x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bulkbiker. I had an abdominal ultrasound scan because my blood test indicated raised something or other (can't remember!), which was how it was diagnosed. I'm certainly concerned about it, it came as a further shock after trying to get used to the fact that I have diabetes. I'm floundering a bit if I'm honest; that's out of character for me. Pancreas is a thing that I worry about as my dad had pancreatitis and was also T2. The outcome was not good.
Good luck with your request for a dexascan, let us know how you get on. Jan x
Will do.. seeing doc this week so will report back..

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
I have type 2 recently diagnosed and I have gone to great lengths researching diet, lifestyle changes etc (mostly from these forums) and have felt fairly confident that all was well for me, and I had a handle on it all. I received a meter and strips from my GP without any trouble.:) I went to the dietitian expecting a bit of a battle but nope, that was fine too. :)Then I had a liver scan and it seems I have a fatty liver - this is obviously not so good. :dead:I've done some research on various websites and it is not uncommon in people with diabetes, although I'm not and never have been, obese. I'm on Metformin, 3 X 500 a day and trying low carb medium fat diet.

I wondered if anyone has had this and how they have dealt with it. Also if anyone has tried milk thistle for this condition.

Jan x
I have type 2 recently diagnosed and I have gone to great lengths researching diet, lifestyle changes etc (mostly from these forums) and have felt fairly confident that all was well for me, and I had a handle on it all. I received a meter and strips from my GP without any trouble.:) I went to the dietitian expecting a bit of a battle but nope, that was fine too. :)Then I had a liver scan and it seems I have a fatty liver - this is obviously not so good. :dead:I've done some research on various websites and it is not uncommon in people with diabetes, although I'm not and never have been, obese. I'm on Metformin, 3 X 500 a day and trying low carb medium fat diet.

I wondered if anyone has had this and how they have dealt with it. Also if anyone has tried milk thistle for this condition.

Jan x

Hello

How did you get on? What worked? I

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

How did you get on? What worked? I
Hi Ross. Still working on it. I think that I'll be requesting a further liver scan after say, 6 months, to see where I'm at with it. I have to say that Dr. Michael Mosely expounds the benefits of the low carb diet in helping with getting rid of visceral fat, so here's hoping :rolleyes: