Weight loss and type 1

Bethgabs

Hi all,
Has any one got any affect ways to diet with diabeties?
Im joining weight watchers again , but just wondering if any one has any tips what has worked for them

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't diet but I've found reducing carbs can help. Obviously, you'll need to adjust your insulin too if you do that. So, for example, if lunch is normally a sandwich. Cereal bar, fruit and yoghurt, trying cutting out the cereal bar and reducing insulin accordingly.

Walking is also a great way to lose weight and keep fit. I sometimes go for a walk after meals and can reduce my meal insulin if I'm doing that.

Whatever you do, always be cautious and do extra blood tests :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think you will find a low-carb diet is the best approach. Be aware that some WW foods can be high'ish carb so avoid or minimise those. Fat is better than carb for us. Protein is fine.

novoguy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
I am t1 and on insulin and my Dr put me on victoza, that drug made an incredible difference to my weight and my eating habits it's the best drug I ever used, I know it may not suit you but ask your Dr. Just a thought.

Reactions: 2 people

novoguy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
@novoguy what dose of Victoza are you on? Does it affect bgl much?
I am on 12 units, it's hard on you in the beginning as it can make you feel a little I'll, but it will only last a few weeks, beleave me it's worth it, it's a great drug

Reactions: 3 people

brendan101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Novoguy,
Firstly are you UK based as Victoza is not licensed for Type 1 diabetics? Secondly I am using Victoza myself off-license and have had an amazing result in terms of stable BG levels and I certainly do not feel as hungry as I used to as one of the effects of Victoza is to slow down the emptying of the stomach making you feel fuller on less food. I eat a similar amount of carbohydrate but my total insulin dose per day has dropped by 20% overall and my energy has gone up. This brings me to the second effect of Victoza as normally applicable to a Type 2 diabetic which is to slow down the release of glucose from the liver especially when fasting or before a meal and helps with a flatter glucose after eating. All good for me.

To go back to Bethgabs question, anything that can reduce the amount of insulin you need to inject has the potential to reduce weight so reduced carbs and exercise definitely helps.
Novoguy I do not understand your dosing suggestion here in units as Victoza is measured in milligrams mg and comes in a standard 0.6mg, 1.2mg and 1.8mg although clicks between these can be administered too. It definitely stops the spikes happening in Type 1s and is very valuable for this reason since glycaemic variability can cause complications. It's not just about Hba1c. I am wondering if you have any connection to Novo Nordisk the manufacturers of Victoza?

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Novoguy,
Firstly are you UK based as Victoza is not licensed for Type 1 diabetics? Secondly I am using Victoza myself off-license and have had an amazing result in terms of stable BG levels and I certainly do not feel as hungry as I used to as one of the effects of Victoza is to slow down the emptying of the stomach making you feel fuller on less food. I eat a similar amount of carbohydrate but my total insulin dose per day has dropped by 20% overall and my energy has gone up. This brings me to the second effect of Victoza as normally applicable to a Type 2 diabetic which is to slow down the release of glucose from the liver especially when fasting or before a meal and helps with a flatter glucose after eating. All good for me.

To go back to Bethgabs question, anything that can reduce the amount of insulin you need to inject has the potential to reduce weight so reduced carbs and exercise definitely helps.
Novoguy I do not understand your dosing suggestion here in units as Victoza is measured in milligrams mg and comes in a standard 0.6mg, 1.2mg and 1.8mg although clicks between these can be administered too. It definitely stops the spikes happening in Type 1s and is very valuable for this reason since glycaemic variability can cause complications. It's not just about Hba1c. I am wondering if you have any connection to Novo Nordisk the manufacturers of Victoza?
Hi Brendan,
I read your post with interest. I have just been prescribed Victoza. I am type 1 but struggle with weight and insulin resistence. I am not sure exactly what criteria was ticked to allow them to prescribe this drug to me, but I do know that I am unusual ( the only type 1 at the Edinburgh Infirmary on Victoza). I have just moved up to the 1.2 mg dose. Fingers crossed for minimal side effect and lot of positives.