What do you wish you were told? (T1D)

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I think it is better not to have high LDL. My doctor would like to see my LDL at 2.5 but I am currently at 3.15 (3.0 being the limit where I live). Do you think 2.5 is a target to aim for? I am not sure if I can do it on diet alone though.

By the way, your BG control seems excellent!

Thanks, my strenuous daily exercise regime really contributes to good BG control.

I can't comment on your LDL values, we use different measurements here mg/dl. My LDL alone was around 192 mg/dl
(the max upper limit being 150 mg/dl) within 2 months my LDL was 103 mg/dl through the artichoke and plant sterols consumption.

Reactions: 2 people

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Amazing. Thanks for sharing that info on artichoke tablets, I should give them a try.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish they would have told me about Low Carb diets.. The first thing the dietitian did was tell me i needed to eat something like 180g of carbs each day! I never understood why no one saw the connection between no carbs - no insulin - no highs/lows! lol

Reactions: 4 people

xxAJxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dude I feel it too!

I've only been injecting for 8 weeks ish and I'm already noticing lumps in my lower abdomen,

the feels...
Use upper arms, upper thighs, love handle bits and bum(slightly more awkard to reach) aswell as you abdomen, always change your sites, keeping atleast an inch between each site, this should avoid the lumps, i can no longer inject into my love handle bits :(

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wish I had been taught systematically how to REDUCE insulin for exercise. Not just stuff more carbs down. I wish I had been taught how to check my basal. I wish I had been taught there was such a thing as an insulin:carb ratio. I wish I had been taught that there was a correction factor. I wish I had been taught not to reuse needles. Frankly, it would have been nice to have been taught anything at all.

I was diagnosed very young, and I realize now that doctors and nurses assumed I knew it all. I knew nothing.

Gaztheoldpunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there, this is my first post on here, sooo... I wish I was told about carb counting, the damage booze and fags can do and the complications that can occur in later life..

Tarabas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Two things for me.

1. You need to tell the DVLA about your diabetes, and ALSO your insurance company. I got told about 5 different times about the DVLA part but never the insurance bit.

2. What rotating sites actually means - you get told it's important, but every time I've asked for how to do it I just get told it's to stop lipohypertrophy. Does that mean I can use the same site several times in a day and then move somewhere else tomorrow? Move site everytime? How soon can I go back to an existing site - a week later? A month later? So far I haven't managed to get a clear answer on this from any nurse or doctor.
At least there is a rotation pattern from DB http://www.bd.com/de/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=19104&id=31959