Rotator Cuff Surgery - Complications with T2?

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had surgery 12 weeks ago to repair a rotator cuff and have really been struggling with recovering full range of motion. The physiotherapist says that diabetics are at greater risk of developing frozen shoulder after this type of surgery. Has anyone had any experience with this?

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 for 36 years on insulin. I had rotator cuff operation 12 years ago after a fall and damaging muscles and tendons. I can still remember remember the pain and the slow recovery. At the time I thought I would never work again I was off work for 3 months and had physio for a further 6 month. Whilst it did get better , full strength and movement has never returned to as it was. Things like throwing a ball ,or even playing darts are still painful . I've just learned to live with it. My diabetes has not led to any further complications. I well remember just having a shower, and lifting my arm enough to wash under was agony at the time. Can laugh about that now,but not funny at the time. I had a very physical job at the time and my surgeon said I would not be able to carry on doing what I did. I did return to the same job just adapted to how I did things . It will get better, it's just a very slow process. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

goose64

I didn't have the op but I did have a rotator cuffi njury that developed int frozen shoulder, eventually the physio worked & I'm fine now

Apple tree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had surgery 12 weeks ago to repair a rotator cuff and have really been struggling with recovering full range of motion. The physiotherapist says that diabetics are at greater risk of developing frozen shoulder after this type of surgery. Has anyone had any experience with this?
I have just been discharged mon from the consultant that done my op same as you last February,I am type 2 have been left with a little plastic peg in there to hold things down very slow recovery but don't be disheartened I thought I would never get better but although still can not lift anything too heavy have got almost full range of movement,the consultant said it would never be 100, and be careful what I still do because it can tear again, but so worth having it done, but I didn't think that for many months,was off work for 5 months has I am a checkout op so was very difficult ,I couldn't move arm at all they didn't want me to I had sling on 24/7 for six weeks,then phisio with sling on for another couple of months when I went out, very very painful procedure there was times like you I thought I would never get there but you will,really,just keep at it,good luck xx

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been discharged mon from the consultant that done my op same as you last February,I am type 2 have been left with a little plastic peg in there to hold things down very slow recovery but don't be disheartened I thought I would never get better but although still can not lift anything too heavy have got almost full range of movement,the consultant said it would never be 100, and be careful what I still do because it can tear again, but so worth having it done, but I didn't think that for many months,was off work for 5 months has I am a checkout op so was very difficult ,I couldn't move arm at all they didn't want me to I had sling on 24/7 for six weeks,then phisio with sling on for another couple of months when I went out, very very painful procedure there was times like you I thought I would never get there but you will,really,just keep at it,good luck xx
Thanks for sharing your experience. It is slowly improving but have swelling in my hand and arm still and difficulty holding small objects like a pen. Back to work half time and pretty tired by the end of that but trying to keep a positive attitude.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 i had manipilation under anasthetic and took nearly a year of physio to recover most of the range. Decided to let my other shoulder run its course as cure does seem to be more limiting than the original problem.

Boating

Type of diabetes
Type 2
one week to go for my shoulder surgery, wish I didn't find this forum well maybe, hope for full recovery for those who went before my.
Anything special I should ask before going in???

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
one week to go for my shoulder surgery, wish I didn't find this forum well maybe, hope for full recovery for those who went before my.
Anything special I should ask before going in???
Just remember that what I experienced does not necessarily reflect what you will so try not to worry. Age has a lot to do with it and of course the severity of the injury to the shoulder as well. I had surgery on my other shoulder back in 2009 before I was diagnosed and definitely didn't have as long a recovery period though the direction of the incision was the exact opposite and I didn't need any screws put in to hold things in place last time so perhaps it was not realistic of me to expect the same healing time. Hope all goes well for you.

Boating

Type of diabetes
Type 2
they did both on me as well what is the purpose of lighting the end of the needle they use for acupuncture it was a little hocus pocus for me.