Type 2 Blood pressure

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Hi all been for my blood pressure check as was still a little high at my clinic app in dec. Still a bit on the high side 148/89 iv got to record twice a day for a week then go see doc. Anyone got any tips how to lower, as i know the implications with having diabeties.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was elevated BP reading that led to blood tests (because of the potential implications for kidney health) that led to my diagnosis. Although my BP was elevated at diagnosis, it wasn't as bad as the diagnostic readings suggested as my own monitoring demonstrated a nice profile for White Coat Syndrome (WCS).

As I got my blood results into the zone, and trimmed up, my blood pressure fell back too, and these days I normally run about 100-110/65-75, depending on what I'm up to.

WCS is still a bit of a pain though, as on a recent pre-op assessment my reading was elevated, but not by as much as on admission when it was something like 210/110. Allegedly, they don't operate over 200/100, but when I talked it through with the anaesthetist he reckoned the best approach was to just get me to sleep and let them get on with it. (Phew)

Your own readings could be informative, but otherwise do you have any trimming up to do, and how are your blood scores?

Erm,........ Obviously telling you not to be stressed wouldn't be helpful as that's not a voluntary thing, usually. :cool:

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Amanda,
Often doctors do not know the reason for htn.
Hence they call it, essential htn.
I assume you are not on bp meds? If you eat a lot of sodium (salt) you can easily see of it's the cause if you cut down for several (4) days.
It took 30 years for the medics to find my reason for having htn and get the right meds and I tried everything but I have an adrenal hormone problem so for me it was problematical . :)

I would try doing a lot of walking and if you drink alcohol cut right back as well to see if it is a factor.
Going low carb often helps diabetics cut their bp.
regards
Derek

Hi all been for my blood pressure check as was still a little high at my clinic app in dec. Still a bit on the high side 148/89 iv got to record twice a day for a week then go see doc. Anyone got any tips how to lower, as i know the implications with having diabeties.

Last edited by a moderator:

lindisfel

Expert
Hi andbreathe, it appears if you are bp meds you may be over medicated. There is apparently a bathtub curve that shows the best average systolic , depending on age , to be in low 120s, as I recall.
regards
Derek

It was elevated BP reading that led to blood tests (because of the potential implications for kidney health) that led to my diagnosis. Although my BP was elevated at diagnosis, it wasn't as bad as the diagnostic readings suggested as my own monitoring demonstrated a nice profile for White Coat Syndrome (WCS).

As I got my blood results into the zone, and trimmed up, my blood pressure fell back too, and these days I normally run about 100-110/65-75, depending on what I'm up to.

WCS is still a bit of a pain though, as on a recent pre-op assessment my reading was elevated, but not by as much as on admission when it was something like 210/110. Allegedly, they don't operate over 200/100, but when I talked it through with the anaesthetist he reckoned the best approach was to just get me to sleep and let them get on with it. (Phew)

Your own readings could be informative, but otherwise do you have any trimming up to do, and how are your blood scores?

Erm,........ Obviously telling you not to be stressed wouldn't be helpful as that's not a voluntary thing, usually. :cool:

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks brunneria that was really helpfull x

Reactions: 2 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi, bloods doing ok & coming down nicely as is my weight have lost 2 stone since july and am on a low carb diet. Will be interesting 2 see my own readings! My job is very stressfull though

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi andbreathe, it appears if you are bp meds you may be over medicated. There is apparently a bathtub curve that shows the best average systolic , depending on age , to be in low 120s, as I recall.
regards
Derek
It is impossible for me to be over medicated as I take absolutely no medication for anything. I have never taken any medication for BP, diabetes or any other long-term condition. I am a completely meds-free old bird.

My body is doing it's own thing, which I like. :)

lindisfel

Expert
Good for you, my better half is exactly the same. I must have nine lives and I have got through most them! :) ;)
bet wishes
Derek

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, bloods doing ok & coming down nicely as is my weight have lost 2 stone since july and am on a low carb diet. Will be interesting 2 see my own readings! My job is very stressfull though

:D
I think the best thing I got out of that link is to appreciate that doctors are now habitually treating high bp as the issue, when it is actually a symptom and not the cause.

Certainly my doc never made any attempt at all to discover the reason my bp had shot up sky high over a 2 month period - just wrote out a prescription, via the nurse, without asking me a single question.

But once I got to understand the cause, and it was dealt with, the bp seems to have resolved itself. :)

But I am very aware that now I have reached middle age, my body has decided to handle stress by raising bp - and will bear that in mind when next I hit a stressed period!

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hi there

Do you have any free time?? Have you ever thought about joining a yoga class or a meditation group? I teach both and they are clinically/scientifically proven to help lower blood pressure. When we are stressed, as you probably know, all sorts of biochemical changes occur in the body to help us (Fight or Flight). We are designed to come back into balance once the reason for the stress has been dealt with. But if we are constantly in Fight or Flight mode we begin to get health problems - such as high blood pressure, raised BGs, raised cortisol and adrenaline levels. The immune system is compromised and our well being suffers.
Just 10 minutes of meditation a day(I teach Mindfulness) can begin to reduce stress levels.
Hope this helps. I am convinced that yoga and meditation are helping my Type 2 control.
Good luck!
Cath

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

Do you have any free time?? Have you ever thought about joining a yoga class or a meditation group? I teach both and they are clinically/scientifically proven to help lower blood pressure. When we are stressed, as you probably know, all sorts of biochemical changes occur in the body to help us (Fight or Flight). We are designed to come back into balance once the reason for the stress has been dealt with. But if we are constantly in Fight or Flight mode we begin to get health problems - such as high blood pressure, raised BGs, raised cortisol and adrenaline levels. The immune system is compromised and our well being suffers.
Just 10 minutes of meditation a day(I teach Mindfulness) can begin to reduce stress levels.
Hope this helps. I am convinced that yoga and meditation are helping my Type 2 control.
Good luck!
Cath

Yup :D
I meditate daily, usually for extended periods. So my 'issues' were in spite of meditation. Dread to think what they would have been like without it.