SWEETENERS

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have discovered another 100% natural sweetener, which to me tastes like the real thing, PLUS it has a GI of 7, as opposed to 100 for sugar! What a find! It's called Xylitol (pronounced Zyl-it-ol). I know it sounds like a chemical name, but it IS completely natural. It is found naturally in fruits like strawberries, raspberries and plums, and trees such as birch. Xylitol is also produced in our own bodies! (and it also helps reduce tooth decay.... no, it won't make your tea for you in the morning...lol) If you want to check it out, read more about it, the website is www.naturallysweet.com.au. You can even order online, that's how I get mine - 2kg at a time!

Why the soft drink companies don't start using either of these, instead of their chemical equivalents, is beyond me.That stuff''ll kill ya!
The problem with Xylitol is that is highly poisonous for dogs, so you shouldn't use it if you have dogs or visiting dogs.
That might be the reason why it is not used in soft drinks or processed foods.

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I didn't like sweeteners at first, but my palate has adjusted to them now and I don't miss sugar at all.

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi. I use Splenda Sweet Mini's (contains 100) in Tea & Coffee.:)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debmcgee are you still using sugar?! You really need to try alternatives. It is poison for diabetics. You do get used to doing without it.

Lol god no!!! I've never really been into the white stuff but always relied on sweeteners. I think too much and since seeing that they can raise bg to diabetic levels I am thinking I need to seriously cut down or quit! X

josebelo

Hello can anyone recommend a Sweetner for use in a coffee, before type 1 I use to love a coffee and I still like the very occasional cup but I substitute it for food to have two spoonfuls of normal sugar, there must be something else, I can't stand the little tablet sweetners they make it disgusting?
xylitol is the best tastes good and does not spike the sugars

Linda7752

Hello can anyone recommend a Sweetner for use in a coffee, before type 1 I use to love a coffee and I still like the very occasional cup but I substitute it for food to have two spoonfuls of normal sugar, there must be something else, I can't stand the little tablet sweetners they make it disgusting?
Hi, I use silver spoon tablets but I agree the little tablet sweeteners can make coffee disgusting. I still add about 1/8th of a spoonful of sugar with the sweeteners and the coffee tastes fine.

Billy Ruffian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I switched from sweetex to Truvia. I wanted to remove aspartame from my diet and many of the sweeteners contain this. I love the taste and a little sprinkled on my weetabix it is lovely... It has the same texture as sugar.

Truvia contains little Stevia, but a fair amount of the sugar alcohol, erythritol (sp?). It may suit some people. - I like the taste but it makes me f**t like a trooper. In fact, I think all the sugar alcohols do the same thing to me. They end in -ol, as in erythritol (above) and xylitol etc. I know that this is individual and some people are fine with them. http://www.foodrenegade.com/is-truvia-healthy/

Last edited by a moderator:

Bulldogbuddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Truvia contains little Stevia, but a fair amount of the sugar alcohol, erythritol (sp?). It may suit some people. - I like the taste but it makes me f**t like a trooper. In fact, I think all the sugar alcohols do the same thing to me. They end in -ol, as in erythritol (above) and xylitol etc. I know that this is individual and some people are fine with them. http://www.foodrenegade.com/is-truvia-healthy/
Erythritol is a natural sugar but has no glycemic effect. It belongs to a class of sugars called polyols. It is 70% the sweetness of sugar and can be used in cooking plus there is no off taste. The crystalline form it is less soluble than the powder. The availability of the crystals is great and the powder is difficult to find. A coffee grinder with metal grinders works well to grind the crystals into powder. I have a grinder we use for erythritol exclusively. The brand that is available in my local vitamin store is "NOW". It says it is powder on the label but it is crystalline. My wife's repertoire of carb free desserts is amazing. We make cheesecake, fudge, chocolate mousse, egg custard and many more. All are carb free. I am a physician type II diabetic for 18 years living on the California Central Coast. I'm diet controlled and my A1C is 5.2 now off all medications for diabetes.

Reactions: 8 people

GNFord

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors and medication
Hi all,
I use Agave Syrup as a sweetener, works for me.
It does not cause that dryness of the mouth and leaves no after taste, also natural.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you checked your bloods after having agave? I'm sure it's not great for metabolising x

Andybiker12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there I love tea and coffee I use a sweetener from Morrisons called slimmer it's tablets and they don't have cards or calories they are £1 FOR 1000

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with Xylitol is that is highly poisonous for dogs, so you shouldn't use it if you have dogs or visiting dogs.
That might be the reason why it is not used in soft drinks or processed foods.

Sadly, some brands of peanut butter have started using xylitol - and many dog owners give peanut butter as a treat.
http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/xylitol-now-found-certain-peanut-and-nut-butters

I have no idea if any of these brands are sold in the UK, but it is a very useful reminder to read every label.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
agave is mainly fructose, I believe, so very bad for T2s, since it is proven to increase the risk of having a fatty liver. I expect it is bad for everyone, for the same reason. I believe many brands are 'diluted' with high fructose corn syrup, too. Just like many honeys are 'adulterated' to make the manufacturing cheaper.

I use erythritol.

The real answer is to kill your sweet tooth and do without fake sweetness at all, but since we live in the real world, I have gone for erythritol, despite the silly-high price, because it offers the best compromise of nil carb absorption, flavour, no chemically aftertaste, minimal processing, least phaff.

I get it from Amazon, and there is always a good deal available.

Reactions: 6 people

Billy Ruffian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="

I use erythritol.

The real answer is to kill your sweet tooth and do without fake sweetness at all, but since we live in the real world, I have gone for erythritol, despite the silly-high price, because it offers the best compromise of nil carb absorption, flavour, no chemically aftertaste, minimal processing, least phaff.

.[/QUOTE]
In my case, a lot of phaff - and worse :oldman:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any tips for getting rid of sweeteners?! Ive quit Diet Coke and am seeing if it affects FBG x

Maya192

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I seriously need to quit
Hi! I was "proclaimed" per diabetic last year and it put the frighteners on. I dropped all my favourites - sugar, cakes and very sweet coffee. After some time I started looking for sweeteners - half a saccharin tab made me want to p--- so I did a bit of research and came across Erythritol sold under NKD Living brand. NO calories, NO GI 100% natural and apparently the body produces it and its in fruit and veg too. It does not contain aspartame. It is not as sweet as sugar though so may take getting used to. Only downside is it is fairly expensive but still worth a try.

Reactions: 5 people

OldFatface

I see no one's mentioned Xylitol so far. I hate the other sweeteners as not one tastes good and most have horrible aftertaste.
Xylitol doesn't and can be used in all baking and cooked (except making meringues!) So if, like me, you have an issue with other sweeteners, try Xylitol.