324 KB · Views: 282
  • Sheet 4-2.pdf
    418.8 KB · Views: 302

MasterDoctor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This looks like a really good idea, I myself as a 14 year old would find this really useful. What exactly would you like me to give feedback on? Or have I already jncluded the required feedback?

plandolfi

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This looks like a really good idea, I myself as a 14 year old would find this really useful. What exactly would you like me to give feedback on? Or have I already jncluded the required feedback?

any think you would improve or parts you do like :) thank you

MasterDoctor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it would be fitted to stomach and take readings all day at set mins apart that technology is already out there
I know that bit but how would it actually check? For example would it take blood for testing and how, would it use IR?

plandolfi

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know that bit but how would it actually check? For example would it take blood for testing and how, would it use IR?

there would be a small inserted needle taking bloods as all it has to do is be 0.8 mm under the skin to take readings and yes IR so will directly detect insulin resistance

MasterDoctor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
there would be a small inserted needle taking bloods as all it has to do is be 0.8 mm under the skin to take readings and yes IR so will directly detect insulin resistance
An issue is that a lot of people are allergic to that but I think it could work

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I was your assessor! Spell check, get a friend to read out loud and sort out the grammar/wrong words, their/there, trials/trails etc use the right ones. Why talk about a waist device and then jump to watches. The age appropriate ideas sound right as does the slide on the different actors and their involvement. Much harder for parents and kids these days as they actually have the ability to test and control. In my day was a single shot of Monotard and off you went for the day (with or without your dextrose in the school bag). On the kid front personnally i hated being labelled as diabetic and being made to wear that in case of emergency bracelet, I still think its important to kids not to be seen as different from their friends.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ps. All in spirit of helping put in best piece of work you can.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its the adhesives people are allergic to. The Dexcom/libres are an interim phase - if you dig around you will find stuff o. The implantable sensors that run for 6 months which are being trialled. That fits with a waist mounted transmitter and your watch as a display which people do now with Dexcom/xdrip/pebble etc.

MasterDoctor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have got a collection of concepts I had previously put together for something I would work on in the future, so if you want to take a look at those, I have a PowerPoint attached that might offer some helpful information. I have modified and condensed some of the concepts to be related to the project you are working on.
If you would like it in a different format, just let me know.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxRRDTkcTG5wc0FqQV95R3lYM1E/view?usp=docslist_api

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the first PDF -

if Peter is on a basal/bolus regime, it's unlikely he'd have to have meals at set times. The point of basal/bolus is that it's more flexible.

Also, he wouldn't have had to have paid for a pump if he was in the UK.

In addition, you said the pump "didn't work". What does that mean?

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the third PDF, it's not clear how the device can tell Peter the amount of insulin he has to take. Does he have to input his carbs into it? How does the device know to adjust for exercise, for example? Will it recommend a correction dose?

Maybe Peter would have been better off keeping his pump...

Reactions: 2 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not a parent, so my feedback may not be that useful to you, but:

1) proof read - it's really difficult to proof read something you have worked hard on for ages, so maybe see if a friend can help out with this (I will definitely make a typo, or 7, in this post so it's not intended to be a criticism, just a tip)

2) I'm not sure I really understand how this is that different from a dexcom g5 - continuous glucose monitor which will send the real time readings to a number of iPhone/pad/watch devices. What do you see as the key difference between your idea and what is already available? I absolutely accept that, because I'm not a parent, I'm probably missing something on how this would work for kids! But my main thought was a lot of your good ideas on helping kids use the information themselves could be done by developing a "child friendly" dexcom receiver.

3) how much do you know about the reality of nhs funding? It seems like the key hooking factor for your idea is the ability for this device to synch up with nhs systems. Unfortunately, in the vast majority of cases the nhs is not willing to fund continuous glucose monitoring (at least for adults, it may be more likely for children). Have you actually spoken to a GP about whether they would be interested in this?

4) are the parts in quotes really quotes? Or is it accepted as part of this project that this is a "mock up"? If not, I would be wary of using the quotations.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
PDF 4 says the GP will be contacted if things go wrong, but a child with Type 1 is far more likely to be cared for by a consultant.

How long would the sensors last? How much woukd they cost? Would they have to be moved on the body? Are they waterproof? What improvements do they offer over existing systems?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

0.8mm? Is that right? That's a tiny depth. Wouldn't it get dislodged or be ineffective

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@plandolfi I don't want to rain on your parade, but there's a lot of prior art in the space. Have you seen Nightscout?

There are already a lot of people using this to remotely monitor their kids at school, and by giving the child a Pebble watch, the kid can see the data on their wrist. While it is not immediately designed for a child, it provides the same level of information. It uses the Dexcom G4 Sensor technology and if you build an xDrip doesn't require a Dexcom receiver. Or you can use the DexCom G5, which will shortly be available on an Apple Watch.

All of the data input to manage a child on MDI can be input via the CarePortal in NightScout.

In addition, the majority of children are now encouraged on to pumps, which provides a much more flexible routine. Very few young children are on fixed insulin doses and therefore have specified eating times.

Reviewing your PDF from a critical perspective, it looks as though the real innovation in this could be in packaging up the NightScout product and delivering a more child friendly monitoring product and software package. Personally, if I was to be doing this, that's the approach that I would take.

If the intention is to package it all up into a watch receiver, to which the sensor will talk, consider the battery issue that plagues many smart watches now. Given what you are trying to do, you might want to consider a different way of getting the data to the network.

I don't know who is assessing your project, so I can't say whether they would have knowledge of what is out there, but if they have any knowledge of the #WeAreNotWaiting movement, then I'm afraid that they may see this as copying that, so I would reference it up front and consider how I might address it in my concept.

I'm happy to have a chat with you about this, in a private chat if you want it.