Freestyle Libre reaction and gimmicky Compad trick

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using Freestyle Libre since it was released in January 2015.
The first 4 sensors did not create any allergic reaction however, on the 5th sensor my skin started to react.

The itch was unbareable and the site was weeping so badly; it looked like a very bad burn (with blisters and fluid.)
On the 6th and 7th sensor my skin had cracked open and had started to bleed.

I found a solution using medium size Compeed pads.
The photos demonstrate how I do it.

I had read that I didn’t need to open a hole on the pad but, I wasted 2 sensors like this.
The sensor’s needle is rather elastic and cannot penetrate the Compeed pad.
I honestly suggest that you line around the sensor for accuracy and then, cut a small hole on the Compeed for the needle to get through (in order to avoid wasting a sensor).

I know it is gimmiky and it looks a bit sloppy but, it does the job.

Regards
Josephine.

FullSizeRender (18).jpg
FullSizeRender (19).jpg
FullSizeRender (15).jpg
FullSizeRender (16).jpg
FullSizeRender (20).jpg

Martin864

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much for posting Josephine, the photos are really useful. I have exactly the same problem to the extent I'm taking a short break from the Libre.

I've ordered some skintac wipes to see if they help but your solution sounds great. How does the compeed hold up to showering and bathing over a fortnight, do you have to protect it?

Martin

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Similar experience here though I found that the compeed plasters only stuck for a week before they fell off.

Disappointing, if I had only lost a day or two of the sensor then I could live with that but effectively paying £50 per week just pushed it up a bit too high for me.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is what I do too (exact same reaction pattern as well). Interestingly, for the first six months or so, firing straight through the Compeed was absolutely fine and since then, as you found, it doesn't work at all so now I cut holes.

The the falling off - agree - it's hard to make Compeed stick for longer than 7-10 days - I almost always overtape to hold them on now and they almost always last the distance.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Similar experience here though I found that the compeed plasters only stuck for a week before they fell off.

Disappointing, if I had only lost a day or two of the sensor then I could live with that but effectively paying £50 per week just pushed it up a bit too high for me.

I just tape over mine (when I need to) to hold them on. It looks a bit messy, but it does the trick.

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone.
I am happy that you found this useful.

The Compeed pad stays in place for about 5-6 days. After the 7th days I can detect that it starts to peel off (probably from the warm water during baths and showers.
Likewise, I use surgical tape to secure it in place.

What I haven’t tried to far (and I am interested to check) is if the Freestyle Libre sensor is accurate if placed in areas other than the arm, like the hip or the upper thigh… The arm is a difficult area for me as, sometimes, my handbag’s strap slides off my shoulder and gets caught on the sensor. Last week, my car’s open door accidentally closed on me (as I was placing things at the passenger’ seat) and hit on my sensor… That did hurt…

Regards
Josephine.

CathytheChef

I get tegaderm dressings on nhs prescription to cover my sensor. They're large transparent dressings that cover it completely and I haven't had any sensor falling out issues since I got them :) they would cover your compeed too - might stop them coming off after a week?

Reactions: Seeps