correction factor or ratio?

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you figure out if your correction is out or its your ratio? I will be speaking with my team but always find it useful to hear everyone else's opinion on here?

Last edited by a moderator:

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep the 100/TDD rule works for me to adjust BG. Was a bit of a shock to realise my 1u to 3mmol was completely wrong, unless I'm exercising and then it all changes again!

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Corrections differ at different times for me, with my normal correction being not far off the 1:3 ratio, however, for three or four hours after exercise it's nearer 1:4.5 and between waking and first eating, it's typically about 1:5, unless I ate late the night before...

Not always straightforward!

Reactions: 6 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do you tell the difference? If you go into a meal high, say 10mmol. You inject at your usual ratio, and two hours later your blood sugar is not higher than 13mm. Four hours later you are back at 10. Your ratio is correct. Your blood sugar still too high but your ratio is correct. You can then try a correction independent of the original bolus, which is no longer effective.

If your blood sugar is correct two hours later, then you managed to correct as well - you injected more than you needed just for the food. If your blood sugar is too LOW, you over-corrected.

The way you work this out is through trial and error. You need to write down everything to see your pattern.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If my blood are too high, ie 10 or above I will generally overcorrect to get a faster return to lower BGs and then take some carbs to balance any excess insulin thats still active.