SWEETENERS

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I see no one's mentioned Xylitol so far. I hate the other sweeteners as not one tastes good and most have horrible aftertaste.
Xylitol doesn't and can be used in all baking and cooked (except making meringues!) So if, like me, you have an issue with other sweeteners, try Xylitol.
Xylitol has been mentioned before (see posts #41 and #47 above). I use Xylitol, but it is highly poisonous for dogs and shouldn't be used if you have dogs or visiting dogs.

Billy Ruffian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see no one's mentioned Xylitol so far. I hate the other sweeteners as not one tastes good and most have horrible aftertaste.
Xylitol doesn't and can be used in all baking and cooked (except making meringues!) So if, like me, you have an issue with other sweeteners, try Xylitol.

But, as someone has pointed out, keep it away from your dog, if you have one.

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes definately, my daughter has a dog and I have warned her not.to feef him any of my.baking.

Scott_Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I love sweet tea, which I had to give up because of my type 2, until I found Luzianne sweet tea concentrate made with
sucralose. it's wonderful, sweet with NO after taste, one pack makes a gallon. A lot of sweeteners are made from sucralose with other additives,but I find this the best, so here are some facts, or just google sucralose for yourself.
God bless and good luck

What is sucralose?
Sucralose adds sweetness to foods and beverages without adding calories or carbohydrates. As an alternative to sugar and other calorie-containing sweeteners, it can play a role in weight management programs that combine sensible nutrition and physical activity.

While the process to make sucralose begins with sucrose, or table sugar, the final product is different from sugar. Sucralose is made by replacing three select hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sugar molecule with three chlorine atoms, resulting in an intensely sweet, no-calorie sweetener.

Unlike sugar, the body does not break down sucralose into calories for energy. Yet, both sugar and sucralose activate the same taste buds on your tongue.

Most of the sucralose people consume is not absorbed and passes through the body. The little that is absorbed is excreted in the urine, and doesn’t accumulate in the body.

Sucralose is available in tabletop sweeteners (one well-known brand is Splenda®) and also as an ingredient in many products, including a variety of beverages, baked goods, desserts, dairy products, canned fruits, syrups and condiments. Sucralose is 600 times sweeter than sugar, and it can be used in place of or combined with sugar in cooking and baking.

Sucralose has been studied extensively and has been found to be safe by experts and researchers around the world. Government agencies worldwide, including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), have also reviewed the science on sucralose and found it to be safe for human consumption.

Can people who have diabetes consume foods and beverages containing sucralose?

Yes. Sucralose has no effect on blood glucose or insulin levels in people with diabetes, and therefore it is safe for them to consume. Foods and beverages sweetened with sucralose provide sweet options that are lower in carbohydrates, which are helpful for people who have diabetes, who must monitor their carbohydrate intake.

As with any nutritional concern, people who have diabetes should talk to a registered dietitian, health care provider and/or diabetes care professional for advice on incorporating foods and beverages containing sucralose into their diets.

Reactions: 2 people