no added sugar Thornton chocolates

gypsy64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning. How many of you used to have the odd chocolate No Added Sugar, from Thorntons. I had some for Xmas and read the ingredients which contained Polyols which allows us type 2 's to have a treat and lovely chocolates they were. As we all know, polyols is the stuff that can cause a laxative effect if we have too much products containing it. But that is up to us how much we choose to eat, and I,m sure we all eat sensibly when it comes to our treats. I went to Thorntons yesterday. No added sugar has been removed and is now 30% less sugar and the reason for this I was told, is because the Diabetes UK have said we can have all things in moderation ( no we can't) and they asked for the polyols to be removed from the chocolates. I read the nutritional info and of course guess what, we type 2,s cannot have their chocolates any more if we are on low carbs. It reads like ordinary choc bars but with 30% less sugar. I was so infuriated when I was told it was the DB UK who made that decision. Not only do they try and kill us off with the carb laden well being plate, now we can,t have our treats. Boots were asked to remove the word Diabetic from their labels. They are now called No Added Sugar and guess what, they have Polyols in them. How long before they get told to change the recipe !! Rant over this morning. Enjoy your day folks and remember, no choccies for us from Thorntons. Go to Boots.

Reactions: 2 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm with Diabetes UK in removing the description "diabetic" from food packaging. This gives the often false impression that it is good for diabetics and safe to eat in any quantity. One of the first things I as told on diagnosis was not to buy over priced stuff with "diabetic" on the label but to just eat real food. So "lower sugar" has my vote as an accurate(ish) description although this is certainly not the same as "low sugar". Proper labelling would class sausages with 99% pork as "diabetic sausages with no added sugar" for instance.

Polyols are an interesting subject - they seem to be better than sugar but do have some side effects. I understand that there are developing concerns over all artificial sweeteners because they can trick the body into reacting as if they were real sugars. Perhaps this is why Diabetes UK is against them?

RobynBelfast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They're full of sorbitol / similar sugar alcohols which are infamous for causing explosive diarrhoea episodes and other types of digestive disruption . There's no benefit over consuming chocolate sweetened with the above vs regular sugar sweetened. If anything because of the likely laxative/ ill effects of the "diabetic" choc there are more disadvantages .. As it tends to be much pricier those who are seduced by the gimmick are essentially paying a premium for an interior product.

Regular choc (if you can tolerate lactose, of course) in moderate amounts is best.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I haven't tried "diabetic" chocolate, but did once have those Ricola sugar free sweets. The side-effects were brutal!

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never tried diabetic chocolate - it really doesn't appeal, and I've heard of the possible side effects. Since starting LCHF I've found that I'm not actually that fussed about having chocolate these days (I never thought I'd be able to say that!), but if I do, I have a bar of Lindt 85% dark chocolate in the cupboard and I have a square of that. It doesn't seem to do anything much to my sugar levels either, which surprised me as I'm usually very carb sensitive.

Reactions: 4 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
well I agree with
gypsy64I was told almost the same apart from I was told was the government that said they had to stop selling the 30% less sugar and think it is wrong seeing as I love their toffee as a treat they adviced me before Christmas to stock up with it ...so have a few bags stockpiled/////but why what is the reason behind this I wonder ?????

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sainsbury's do a range of "No Added Sugar" chocolate - 80p for a massive bar, very reasonable. It's got polyols in it, but I've never had the aforementioned symptoms! I have a few squares at a time.

My favourite though, is Lindt 85% dark chocolate.

jddukes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not all polyols are equal. Most "diabetic" chocolate is made with malitol which a lot of people find spikes their bs indifferently to sugar or at least very close to sugar.

Personally as a t1 on low carbs I wouldn't touch anything sweetened with malitol. Xylitol is better, erythritol the best personally.

bmorgen

Good morning. How many of you used to have the odd chocolate No Added Sugar, from Thorntons. I had some for Xmas and read the ingredients which contained Polyols which allows us type 2 's to have a treat and lovely chocolates they were. As we all know, polyols is the stuff that can cause a laxative effect if we have too much products containing it. But that is up to us how much we choose to eat, and I,m sure we all eat sensibly when it comes to our treats. I went to Thorntons yesterday. No added sugar has been removed and is now 30% less sugar and the reason for this I was told, is because the Diabetes UK have said we can have all things in moderation ( no we can't) and they asked for the polyols to be removed from the chocolates. I read the nutritional info and of course guess what, we type 2,s cannot have their chocolates any more if we are on low carbs. It reads like ordinary choc bars but with 30% less sugar. I was so infuriated when I was told it was the DB UK who made that decision. Not only do they try and kill us off with the carb laden well being plate, now we can,t have our treats. Boots were asked to remove the word Diabetic from their labels. They are now called No Added Sugar and guess what, they have Polyols in them. How long before they get told to change the recipe !! Rant over this morning. Enjoy your day folks and remember, no choccies for us from Thorntons. Go to Boots.
It's time we put a stop to Diabetes UK. They are killing us with their mis-information. Their motives may be pure but they have devolved into an extension of the NHS bureaucracy that has been letting us down for over a decade. We need to stand up and be counted. Responsible researchers no longer recommend their high-carb diet. There are drugs available now that slow or, sometimes halt, the progression of type 2 but Diabetes UK is not helping us get them.<newline><newline>Diabetes UK perpetuate the lie that type 2 is a lifestyle disease and that it is our fault that we have it. My mother was diagnosed with type 2 at exactly the same age as I was. That is not good evidence for a "lifestyle diseases." Quite the contrary.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chris lowe

I didn't like the Thorntons anyway, always had a nasty aftertaste& just one would affect the bowels. Like others I have 85% dark choc or the Lindt choc truffles but just one occasionally

bercul

It's time we put a stop to Diabetes UK. They are killing us with their mis-information. Their motives may be pure but they have devolved into an extension of the NHS bureaucracy that has been letting us down for over a decade. We need to stand up and be counted. Responsible researchers no longer recommend their high-carb diet. There are drugs available now that slow or, sometimes halt, the progression of type 2 but Diabetes UK is not helping us get them.<newline><newline>Diabetes UK perpetuate the lie that type 2 is a lifestyle disease and that it is our fault that we have it. My mother was diagnosed with type 2 at exactly the same age as I was. That is not good evidence for a "lifestyle diseases." Quite the contrary.
My chocolate treat. Aldi or lidl 90% chocolate melt carefully in microwave.Add according to taste about 3 drops of pepermint essense this eases the bitterness .You can also add ground or flaked almonds put into little sweet holders .they can be stored in the freezer for the odd treat.

Reactions: 6 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Heres a couple of previous threads; it's interesting to compare!
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diabetic-chocolate.38652/#post-361020
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diabetic-chocolate.30482/#post-286318

Diabetes UK has had this policy for several years. I fully support them on this ( To say 'we' must put a stop to them is a bit presumptuous since I certainly don't agree!) I wonder if the pressure from them is the full reason.
I'm cynical and think that manufacturers are now seeing a new way of marketing a similar product. Putting reduced sugar on label may appeal to a greater population in today's climate.

Reactions: 5 people

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some years ago there was a product called cool mints . Full of sorbitol. I well remember the the terrible stomach cramps ,and dire consequences of eating to many of those

Pagetbabs

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been told about CHOCOLOGIC. I am T2 has anyone had experience of this product?

Tapatia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I react to the 'alcohol' sweeteners. My face gets pink! Strange! I like putting a teaspoon or tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa in two tablespoons of peanut butter or almond butter with a teaspoon of water or almond milk sometimes. It is good. Or, just have a couple of squares of bitter or semi sweet reg. chocolate. I have not tried the chocologic.

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sainsbury's do a range of "No Added Sugar" chocolate - 80p for a massive bar, very reasonable. It's got polyols in it, but I've never had the aforementioned symptoms! I have a few squares at a time.

My favourite though, is Lindt 85% dark chocolate.

I'm savoring some Lindt 85% as I write this. I've seen these No Sugar chocolates in the supermarket, lots of them, but I ignored them as they contain sugar substitutes like maltitol. Some had warnings that they may act as laxatives. So I thought if I am going to consume them in moderation to avoid gastric problems, might as well consume the 85% Lindt, in moderation, 2 squares.

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to just eat normal chocolate and make sure that check my levels to make sure I can eat it! But my cousins brought me a box of thorntons no added sugar chocolate box for Xmas. Lovely of them. They were alright

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
OP, get yourself to Hotel Chocolat and buy a box of their 'less sweet' chocolates, granted they are not the cheapest but they are real chocolates with no polyols or anything, just higher cocoa and less sugar. If you don't want the full box there are numerous bars or selectors of higher cocoa chocolates or sweets, if you like marzipan you're in for a treat.

That's the way to do it IMHO. I won't have chocolate from anywhere else these days.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Simply shows that it's best to be well informed about food and read food lables carefully - the ingredients list / small print, not the slogans on the front. I prefer to eat smaller quanities of good quality chocolate, rather than spend the same amount of money on cheaper chocolate.