Gumby finger prick mistake.

MathMel

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
New to blood testing. Tonight the oven timer went off and I was reading and with all good intentions of getting up I kept reading and then forgot. Finally remembered so jumped up and quickly blood tested (bit more towards the front of finger than normally do) then started cutting all my chicken up on the bench. Went to sit down and had been pressing so hard with the fork there was quite a bit of a mess to clean up. Luckily the chicken was ok!!!

Lessons learned - always have two timers on; don't use my fork or pen finger; test more than 3 seconds before cutting; and stop relying on my dog who normally waits by the oven and barks when it starts smelling good because she fell asleep.

Ok - back to my book. And in Brisbane every 6 months Lifeline has a massive bookfest with really cheap second hand books and it's my favourite day of the year. Like I normally fill my boot for less than $100. Can't wait :) I have my granny trolley ready to go to cart all my books and I normally have to make several trips to the car. I'm buying a new bookshelf on the way!

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lol - definitely a lesson learned and don't blame it on the poor dog...:clown:

I hope you pick up some great books. I had to have a massive clear out last year and gave away about 300 books. They're creeping back up again! I never believed that I would want a kindle because I love my books but my husband bought me one and I love it- I've now got about 300 on it being added to the very week. :rolleyes: Jan x

MathMel

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
The bookfest was great! Yes I need a new kindle too. The old one gave out after many years of much use so might look around for one this week. And we have a holiday Tuesday and Monday I only have to be available from home if something goes wrong so 2 extra reading days!

It's also my dog's fault that I went to work one day with different coloured shoes. When they get messy she lines them up in pairs near the front door. I had a black pair and silver pair in the same style and I didn't even realise until I'd been at work a few hours because she was so good at putting them in pairs. :D she's the sweetest dog ever :)

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The bookfest was great! Yes I need a new kindle too. The old one gave out after many years of much use so might look around for one this week. And we have a holiday Tuesday and Monday I only have to be available from home if something goes wrong so 2 extra reading days!

It's also my dog's fault that I went to work one day with different coloured shoes. When they get messy she lines them up in pairs near the front door. I had a black pair and silver pair in the same style and I didn't even realise until I'd been at work a few hours because she was so good at putting them in pairs. :D she's the sweetest dog ever :)
So she's colour blind too...? :joyful: X

zacthedog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injections,
One word of caution! Raw chicken and an open wound, even a pin prick has the chance of contamination from raw poultry, i have started wearing disposable gloves now, since i tried to slice a finger last week, shame was there was not enough blood to do a test!!!

MathMel

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thanks Zacthedog. Hadn't thought of that. This time it was after being cooked but good to note for future. Oh no - missed testing opportunity.
I'm still figuring out the right amount for a test. My meter should allow a second draw on same strip if you don't get enough but I haven't got that to work, so I overdo it because I don't want to waste expensive strips (not diagnosed yet, but got started lcfh & exercising before back to dr next week for results and even if I don't meet criteria I am concerned about how long during the day my levels were above about 6 (all the time) and above 8 (prob nearly all the time) - so I don't get discounted strips).

MathMel

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Jan I think all dogs are colour blind so I should probably give her a pass on that one hehe :D
She was just so good at it!