How much milk can I drink?

fattyme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went on a diabetes and me course and all I remember is them saying you're not allowed to drink milk. I think that resonated with me because I love to have a glass of milk at least once week. Is this still OK, or should I cut it out. I am trying to manage my diabetes by diet only at the moment and need to get my blood sugar levels down in the next 4 months, to continue on this management. Any help would be appreciated.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Are you testing your blood glucose?
Different people have different reactions to milk, so all I can really suggest is that you test your bg before and after drinking, and see how high you rise.
Sorry, but that is the only way you will know for sure.

Personally, milk sends my blood glucose way higher than I would like, so I avoid it as much as possible. No longer even have it in tea.

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello there. If you ant milk for drinking straight (rather than in drinks) have you tried any of the nut or soya milk? It's a bit of an acquired taste. Jan x

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or possibly consider full fat lactose free milk - full fat has less carbs than the lower fat versions.

Robbity

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A lot of diabetics and those with blood glucose disorders have an intolerance to lactose of which is a sugar, which contains too much glucose for most. The higher the full fat the less the carbs!

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
The carbohydrate in Milk is the complex sugar Lactose. Complex sugars cannot enter the blood stream unless broken down by the digestive system.

30% of adults of northern european stock don't break down the lactose in millk into the simple sugars that enter stream and raise glucose level.
For other genetic groups the figure is higher 70% in adults from the rest of the world where dairy has not been traditionally part of the diet don't breakdown lactosse.

Of those adults who don't break down lactose most can drink sensible amounts of milk with no unpleasant effects and are probably completely unaware of it. However some adults cannot tolerate lactose without getting unpleasant effects mainly flatulence, tummy cramps frequent visits to the loo.

Lactose intolerance is not an allergy and lactose is not a poison, lactose is simply a food that many people cannot break down and use.

Last edited by a moderator: