Type1 too embarrassed to inject....

S

Shar67

I felt like screaming when she said she thought she would only start having problems when she was in her 50s. So it's ok then is it, life is over after 49. I would love to speak to her when she hits 50 to see if she feels really old.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Why should we be embarrassed to inject,women who breastfeed in public don't get embarrassed. It's the people who glare who have the problems not us.those who inject shouldn't do it in public toilets,those in town are very unhygienic ide rather up a corner out of sight.you still get some nosey ****** who looks and scoures. Just ignore them.

Reactions: 2 people

susyross

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who don't make the effort to be healthy
I am sorry she felt that way - I was diagnosed type one when I was going on 18 and I have travelled all over the place , had 2 wonderful kids, been to school have a great career, have my issues which I am sure most people with diabetes can relate to... it is not something to be ashamed of. I have a pump and 2 monitors now to prevent me untimely hypoglycemic comas. But I have NEVER ben ashamed of having to deal with an unpreventable condition. Back in the day with glass syringes.. I would just go ahead and do what I needed to do... no going to a bathroom or anything like that... people hardly even noticed.. then we moved on to disposable syringes , then pens, then pumps. I have always just gone about my business, testing , injecting or using my pump... nobody pays any attention, the less fuss you make, the less people notice! If anyone has a problem with it ( like they are scared of needles) they don't have to watch!!! - I am 56 and going strong :)

Reactions: 20 people

SteveGladden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i'm with the 'publish and be damned group' on this one!
Type 1 since aged 9, now in my 63'Rd year so you do the math. I have never been nervous about blood tests or injections, on the street, in shops (where you can use product shelves to rest your kit on or chairs to sit)! I'm not lucky enough to be on a pump so do 7-10 tests a day with (lantus included) at least 5 jabs each day.
I used to think people might say something, but reality is no one notices, honestly they don't and the ones who might can't engage in conversation!

Reactions: 6 people

jharps11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Being diabetic since I was 3, and going through all that social fear (especially in school) associated with injecting in public, and worrying that I was being inappropriate injecting in public, whilst worrying about peoples reactions to it, having had a tough time in primary school.

This all impedes on your self-confidence, and un-rightly so! Growing in self-confidence and opening up with having diabetes in a manner that it is your condition that you deal with when, and how you wish, and expecting people to appreciate that has changed my own experience in diabetes, and since adopting this attitude I haven't experienced really any negative stigma with injecting in public, if anything, I have had people relate to me injecting (for example random people on the London tube). And the very few examples of negative responses, just ignoring the perpetrators as insensitive idiots. It can make someone really unhappy to have to shield their medication or health problem, and we really don't need that stress on top of managing our diabetes!

Reactions: 4 people

Lazell123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being diabetic since I was 3, and going through all that social fear (especially in school) associated with injecting in public, and worrying that I was being inappropriate injecting in public, whilst worrying about peoples reactions to it, having had a tough time in primary school.

This all impedes on your self-confidence, and un-rightly so! Growing in self-confidence and opening up with having diabetes in a manner that it is your condition that you deal with when, and how you wish, and expecting people to appreciate that has changed my own experience in diabetes, and since adopting this attitude I haven't experienced really any negative stigma with injecting in public, if anything, I have had people relate to me injecting (for example random people on the London tube). And the very few examples of negative responses, just ignoring the perpetrators as insensitive idiots. It can make someone really unhappy to have to shield their medication or health problem, and we really don't need that stress on top of managing our diabetes!
Good for you jharps11. I too have been type 1 since the age of 3, and I totally agree with you. Those who can't deal with it don't have to look. They really don't realise just how lucky they are do they?

Lazell123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am sorry she felt that way - I was diagnosed type one when I was going on 18 and I have travelled all over the place , had 2 wonderful kids, been to school have a great career, have my issues which I am sure most people with diabetes can relate to... it is not something to be ashamed of. I have a pump and 2 monitors now to prevent me untimely hypoglycemic comas. But I have NEVER ben ashamed of having to deal with an unpreventable condition. Back in the day with glass syringes.. I would just go ahead and do what I needed to do... no going to a bathroom or anything like that... people hardly even noticed.. then we moved on to disposable syringes , then pens, then pumps. I have always just gone about my business, testing , injecting or using my pump... nobody pays any attention, the less fuss you make, the less people notice! If anyone has a problem with it ( like they are scared of needles) they don't have to watch!!! - I am 56 and going strong :)
Well done susyross. My story is very much like yours. I think we've done very well and will carry on doing so!!

robertwt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Rudeness, bad driving, incautious use of English
Hi everyone
I've been 'stabbing' for twenty years.

Mostly I get a good reaction. Occasionally not.

One episode springs to mind. I was having dinner with a dozen colleagues and I was stuck between the only two of them who objected to my taking my insulin. I was doing my novorapid and levemir, as one does, and I got a seriously negative reaction. The person then had the temerity to suggest that either I go to the toilets (I told her where to shove that suggestion) or to my car - ten minutes walk away (that suggestion got kicked into touch too). When she kept on (and on and on and ...) I suggested that the Disability Discrimination Act covered my keeping well (requiring someone with diabetes to leave the table etc). No answer to this.

I don't think she ever spoke to me again, until she left the company. Her loss.

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject all the time in public. I do it discreetly so no-one really sees me. I usually inject in the car or in a washroom stall but ocasionally in a restaurant booth.
I use a meter with no strips so it is easy to test in public.
I try to avoid stares because people may be Squimish.

whitesnake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never been embarressed to inject its society's problem not mine nobody's ever had a problem with me doing it in all the 26 years I was doing it but if they had I wouldvhavecsaid dont look then. I'm in my first six months of having a pump so don't need to inject now .

susyross

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who don't make the effort to be healthy
Once upon a time long before pumps - I was in a train going to Sweden with my inter-rail pass and since it was time to do the whole getting the glass serine out ... I was in kinda close quarters - so I said nicely- ":excuse me - I have to do my insulin injection, if it bothers you, can you please look away" I think it is the only time I had to actually address the situation in public... and it didn't bother any of my fellow unknown travelers!
In more recent times - I have had my pump beep in public and had people say - oh is that an insulin pump?? and off goes the conversation - my aunt, my mum, by cousin or the person asking the question either have or know someone with a pump or diabetes... it is nothing to be ashamed of... be proud that we are accomplishing a lot more than anyone ever expected us to!
OK gotta get back to work - hugs to all you "sweet" people :)