Hello from returning member whose had a serious loss of control over 2015

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dont worry @Dougie22 I used to eat that amount of carbs as well, it has taken me almost 2 years to sort my food issues out. We are all different and we each have to do it our own way to figure out what level we are happy with. You are on the right track and you're doing great.

Thanks for that. I'm quite happy with my plan at the moment. Staying on it is the key for me.

BTW, how do you do that thing with the /User? I can't find an icon that lets me do that.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm a serial relapser and this time I've ended up at my highest weight ever and **** bg readings that put me in t2 category.

But I'm back now and reforming good habits and more importantly determined not to let this get the better of me.

I'm facing the scary stuff tomorrow A blood test!!

The prob with diabetes is that it's s slow killer do we can start again tomorrow but it can't perpetuate.

Let's do it all together!
D x

If the blood test is for HbA1c, that will give you a really solid starting baseline that you can use as an excellent measure of long term improvement. Depending on the reading, ask them when they expect to do the next one. This gives you a longer term target to aim at. In my case, my December reading was 65 and my doctor has given me a target of getting below 58 by the end of March or increasing the medications I'm on. I truly intend to get below 58 and that is, for the moment, my principle motivation.

You've made the best start you can by getting back to sensible eating habits. Well done.

Reactions: 2 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Good news. At the "Waist Winners" this morning, I'd lost 2.4kg (around 5 pounds) in the first week. Probably mostly water but a very pleasing result nonetheless. Been ok today too, but going to visit my son (4 hours away) for the weekend with all the eating dangers that means and, as a result, I'll miss next weeks meeting.

Carry out Pizza, eating out at Chinese, Prosecco and salty snacks?

As the robot says in Lost in Space, "Danger, Danger, Will Robertson!"

Reactions: 6 people

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been very good today. Yesterday I went to the boat yard. Everyone standing around unable to commit or go home. Is it too cold or too still? After an hour everyone went home without disturbing the ducks. Then I realised my boat had a flat tyre, tried to lift it on to bricks to get the tyre off. It was too heavy on my own but someone saw and helped out. So today I stayed in bed, too difficult to raid the kitchen. That's one way of not eating during the day and keeping my BS low. Might do the same tomorrow. Alas the wine is downstairs

Reactions: 4 people

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news. At the "Waist Winners" this morning, I'd lost 2.4kg (around 5 pounds) in the first week. Probably mostly water but a very pleasing result nonetheless. Been ok today too, but going to visit my son (4 hours away) for the weekend with all the eating dangers that means and, as a result, I'll miss next weeks meeting.

Carry out Pizza, eating out at Chinese, Prosecco and salty snacks?

As the robot says in Lost in Space, "Danger, Danger, Will Robertson!"
What does your son think about your diabetes

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've been very good today. Yesterday I went to the boat yard. Everyone standing around unable to commit or go home. Is it too cold or too still? After an hour everyone went home without disturbing the ducks. Then I realised my boat had a flat tyre, tried to lift it on to bricks to get the tyre off. It was too heavy on my own but someone saw and helped out. So today I stayed in bed, too difficult to raid the kitchen. That's one way of not eating during the day and keeping my BS low. Might do the same tomorrow. Alas the wine is downstairs

Whatever works Brenda! ;);)

I'm guessing you live a long way south of me in Glasgow. You would have needed an icebreaker here.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Thanks for that. I'm quite happy with my plan at the moment. Staying on it is the key for me.

BTW, how do you do that thing with the /User? I can't find an icon that lets me do that.
Hi @Dougie22 you type in @ followed immediately by the posters username and it comes up as a tag e.g. @Dougie22

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What does your son think about your diabetes
I

I don't want to be hard on him (and I was no different) but he is so self absorbed in his demanding job, his wife and two young boys, that he has no time to spare to worry about my problems. I would imagine that, if pressed, he'd say that dad's his own worst enemy. He's probably got plenty of evidence to support this as he's seen me stuffing myself when I've been out of control and thinks I do that all the time. I think most people consider diabetes to be a fictional disease. Only those who have it really understand it. That's why the forum is so valuable.

Bit heavy there....sorry.

Also, I think most children think their parents are indestructible and are just kidding on when they say they are getting older.
Two examples:
1. Oldest son (37) "I'm going for a 10k run tomorrow morning Dad. You should come."
2. Middle son (35) "I'm challenging you to a step challenge using my new fit monitor."
Something's wrong if they cant beat a 18 stone, 62 year old!

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
they might be just trying to coax you into more exercise or just showing off

I think it's more of a competitive thing with them. It's a bit like when you haven't seen a relative for ten years and you're surprised they've grown up. They're kind of stuck at a point in time when they left home when we were still playing football etc. In a way it's a good thing that they think we're equals, as opposed to the generation gap we had with our own parents.

I'm going to enlist my wife's help in trying to avoid the carry outs, etc.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just had to get on here and tell the world......my two hour reading tonight was 8.1. I didn't believe it so I took another one....8.3.
First time my two hour has been below 8.5 for a long time!

Reactions: 8 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had quite a good weekend at my sons eating wise. Just went with the flow but watched portion sizes like a hawk. Biggest problem is getting a sensible lunch at motorway services areas but managed to find M&S sandwiches which were reasonable. Very good day today. Had to meet someone at 12.00 in a McDlonalds. I was in there for 20 minutes and only had a coffee. Bloody hell!
Reward tonight was a two hour of 8.3 and a three and a quarter hour 7.2, the lowest since I started measuring again in December. Excellent.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A poor week, failed to record my eating Tuesday to Friday and put a couple of pounds on as a result. Back on the wagon Saturday and Sunday, though so might be just about break even at tomorrow's weigh in. As on previous occasions, not really sure what happened to kill my motivation. Just a poor attitude for a few days. Haven't tested my bloods for a while either. Will start again tomorrow evening.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @Dougie22 - We all have those "days"!! And really I don't think it does any harm. But, your back now on form. :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its easier than you think to go off track @Dougie22 I find I go off track quite easily especially if Im doing really well. When I got my Hb result of 34 instead of staying on track I went into 6 weeks of depression and going off the rails. As long as you get back on track dont worry too much, you are doing great.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well the weigh in wasn't too bad. At least I'd gone down instead of up! Just shows what you can do with a couple of really strict days. So I'm a bit happier weight wise at least.

A bigger problem is that although I've lost a total of 5kg since the start of the year, my BG levels aren't coming down as fast or as much as I thought they would. I'm still getting two hour readings in the 9s and low 10s and 3 hour readings in the high 8s. This is better than it was but not where I really want to be. Might have to consider more drastic carb control.

How quickly would people expect their BG levels to respond to changed eating? (Instant, a couple of days, a couple of weeks or longer?)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A poor week, failed to record my eating Tuesday to Friday and put a couple of pounds on as a result. Back on the wagon Saturday and Sunday, though so might be just about break even at tomorrow's weigh in. As on previous occasions, not really sure what happened to kill my motivation. Just a poor attitude for a few days. Haven't tested my bloods for a while either. Will start again tomorrow evening.

I know what you mean. I fell off at the weekend and have struggled to get back on track. Before I was really strong and nothing tempted me but now it takes a lot of self talk in my head to step away. I'm trying to make myself think about the long term effects of that poison in my body....bloody hard tho...

Reactions: 3 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends how much you are restricting your carbs and also your body determines a lot do it can vary from one person to another.

Reactions: 3 people