How old were you when you first diagnosed with type 1?? And how long do you have it??

kev1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was given a box of glass syringes by the hospital doc who had no further use of them. He said I might find the large needles interesting.....
Started straight on the plastic syringes and now use a pen.
Blood sugars have been pretty good all along but there's always the unexpected highs and lows to contend with.
As for monitors I use a mix of the Freestyle Libre system and blood test strips.
I used to despair at some of the articles in the Balance magazine when I was first diagnosed in Jan 1983; "dont do this, you cant do that..." well you can (for most things) if you take care and plan. Mountaineering (some high altitude) and caving have all been done for years - though not so much now. Dont ever let anyone put you off.
Over the last few years I've had laser treatment for retinopathy and in between sessions one of the blood vessels that had been 'zapped' bled and in a matter of 5-10 minutes my vision in one eye went from 100%-zero. With my consultant it was agreed to let it try and clear naturally instead of an operation and eventually after a few months all was well.
Never a dull moment as they say!

Reactions: 7 people

Emosi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 25 and diagnosed last July, but I had all the symptoms on and off for over a year before I took myself off to the doctors.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Born in 1962. Diagnosed in 1968. No significant complications yet, touch wood.

Reactions: 2 people
S

Samblease73

Diagnosed on 21st December so I'm one month in... Aged 42... Had no idea you could get type 1 so late in life, assumed I was type 2 when they told me it was diabetes!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars... and fig rolls
I'm 17 years old and was only diagnosed 7 weeks ago. Still not used to it :p Was severe DKA and dropped around 25kg. Fairly terrifying!

NiallMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm T1 aged 16 and I was diagnosed only 4 days after my birthday. I have now had diabetes for 7 months.

Powell2410

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 27 and was diagnosed with type 1 a week before my second birthday.
I'm not going to lie and say it's plain sailing because it's not believe me. I get depressed quite often about it just thinking "why me" or "it's not fair" or "I'm sick of feeling tired or weak or low" but trust me it could be so much worse.
I rarely take blood tests but I try to make sure that I'm as controlled as possible. I get that you feel confused or upset or even angry because I've been there. I even feel embarrassed if I have a hypo and end up in hospital but it's something we all have to live with.

Just know there are people there to help you. Your diabetic nurse or your local doctor can provide support and even if you feel you can't talk to them you can talk to a very helpful group of people in your position.

Always here if you need. Hope everything gets better for you. I'm here if you need myself

SteveT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 13 when I was diagnosed type 1 & I'm now 40 I lead a very healthy lifestyle doing triathlon & a mostly healthy diet. I do worry about getting older with diabetes would like to meet others as I have never met another diabetic. Bexhill East Sussex

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 6,diagnosed in 1976.Things were very different back then,a lot easier to be diagnosed now i would imagine.Attitudes are different also.I was tortured as a child and have had a chip on my shoulder ever since.I hate people knowing,never test in view of people and would die rather than inject in front of any but a handful of people.I hope children wouldnt get bullied these days just for having diabetes.
Me too...... Aged 7 in 1976. I still don't test, inject or treat a low in public. I don't like the attention and get annoyed when people do know and try to tell me what's caused my diabetes through what they've read in the Daily Mail. .1. I didn't sit eating syrup as a child 2. I was never obese 3. It's not contagious. 4. My son doesn't have it strangely enough. 5. If I just have one jab a day it's like taking a multivitamin, you just forget it. 6. I need insulin if I'm hypo. 7. If I'm within 50 yards of a biscuit tin it needs hiding from me. 8. I'm not deemed to be capable of choosing my own foods. 10. I've 'got sugar.' Bet that rings a bell with a few of you? Oh and I can still remember that 2/3 of a slice of bread is 10 gms and 2 Morning Coffee biscuits are 10 too xxx

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 13 when I was diagnosed type 1 & I'm now 40 I lead a very healthy lifestyle doing triathlon & a mostly healthy diet. I do worry about getting older with diabetes would like to meet others as I have never met another diabetic. Bexhill East Sussex
It's nice to meet others on here. I like it because there's the full range - good, good most of the time, good but could do better and bad ! I swing between both ends so it's nice to know about other peoples struggles. I've just emerged from a bit of a fed up blip ( not depressed as I know what causes it, just bored and frustrated ) so it's lovely to give and receive advice on here. X