Hello, from newly diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You're welcome. Also take out a H&B loyalty card as you get discounts and email notification of offers with it.
Ill definately get one of these!! I didnt know they did them and I LOVE my rewards cards!! Always trying to save money, Im going to be asking the nurse tomorrow if Im entitled to free prescriptions or foot care but I doubt it so need to save money wherever possible. Thanks again. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi again. I get Diprobase on prescription and it's free because I'm over 60 (it's about the only benefit of getting old...!). :rolleyes:However, I believe if you have been diagnosed with diabetes that you will receive ALL your prescriptions free, which happens with most chronic health issues; my daughter gets all hers free because she has epilepsy. Check this out in your local pharmacy, I think it's simply filling a form in. In my GP practice you self-refer for podiatry but I don't know if this is commonplace. I would get on to it because, as you know, feet problems are a higher risk for diabetics. Since diagnosis I've also had a retinopathy test on my eyes, so you'll probably get that too.
It's all a lot to get your head around isn't it? I have to say that food hasn't been too bad. I have fairly simple foods like fish, chicken, eggs, veggies and some fruit. I particularly like Greek yogurt and also nuts. You fairly quickly get used to checking food labels for carbs. You will settle in to it eventually I promise. Take care, Jan x
Hello again, Im going to ask the nurse tomorrow when I get more results about my feet as its worrying me and they also hurt when I walk to work. Im going to check about the prescriptions too. My eyes have become so blurred in the last few months, from almost 20/20 vision all my life to nearly having to stand a few inches in front of what I was trying to read. I have been collecting the Daily Mail supplement this week but don't know if its worth bothering as I don't think I could manage on 800 calories per day :eek: and I have got a lot of information off this site to help me try to start lowering my carbs and hopefully my blood glucose. Ill see how I get on at the nurse tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again for your help and advice :)

Reactions: 4 people

TrevorFisher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was also down for a while after being diagnosed, it's the realisation that life as you know it has to change..
However, look after your diet, and exercise, it's not so bad.......
Metformin, I had no prob sat all, my daughter who is pre diabetic did have a bit of probes, mostly bad tummy.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi again. I get Diprobase on prescription and it's free because I'm over 60 (it's about the only benefit of getting old...!). :rolleyes:However, I believe if you have been diagnosed with diabetes that you will receive ALL your prescriptions free, which happens with most chronic health issues; my daughter gets all hers free because she has epilepsy. Check this out in your local pharmacy, I think it's simply filling a form in. In my GP practice you self-refer for podiatry but I don't know if this is commonplace. I would get on to it because, as you know, feet problems are a higher risk for diabetics. Since diagnosis I've also had a retinopathy test on my eyes, so you'll probably get that too.
It's all a lot to get your head around isn't it? I have to say that food hasn't been too bad. I have fairly simple foods like fish, chicken, eggs, veggies and some fruit. I particularly like Greek yogurt and also nuts. You fairly quickly get used to checking food labels for carbs. You will settle in to it eventually I promise. Take care, Jan x

Hi Jan, hope you don't mind me mentioning - the free prescriptions are only for those who are diagnosed AND taking a diabetes medication, the diagnosis itself does not give entitlement to free scripts. As for the chronic health issues, I have chronic and severe asthma which I've had all my life and it doesn't entitle me diddly squat unfortunately, although I do get free scripts now. It's only certain conditions that are deemed worthy apparently. Certainly not insinuating that epilepsy isn't in the slightest by the way x

To the OP - it's normal to feel down to begin with. If I could give you one piece of advice above all other, it's to self test. That puts you in control, you can see what affects you badly and what affects you less so. After my diagnosis, I cut out all bread, spuds, rice and pasta for about three months and my levels dropped. Out of those, I can now eat small amounts of three of them, bread I can't touch because it affects me badly, and I also feel lousy if
I do eat anything high carb! Pastry is another one that makes me feel ill so I don't even bother now. I know all this seems overpowering and especially if you are struggling financially, even more so. So let's forget almond flour etc for the moment, and just work on getting your carbs down and replacing with veg, cheese, meats. It can all be really tasty, promise. We will help you step by step x

Reactions: 6 people

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Jan, hope you don't mind me mentioning - the free prescriptions are only for those who are diagnosed AND taking a diabetes medication, the diagnosis itself does not give entitlement to free scripts. As for the chronic health issues, I have chronic and severe asthma which I've had all my life and it doesn't entitle me diddly squat unfortunately, although I do get free scripts now. It's only certain conditions that are deemed worthy apparently. Certainly not insinuating that epilepsy isn't in the slightest by the way x

To the OP - it's normal to feel down to begin with. If I could give you one piece of advice above all other, it's to self test. That puts you in control, you can see what affects you badly and what affects you less so. After my diagnosis, I cut out all bread, spuds, rice and pasta for about three months and my levels dropped. Out of those, I can now eat small amounts of three of them, bread I can't touch because it affects me badly, and I also feel lousy if
I do eat anything high carb! Pastry is another one that makes me feel ill so I don't even bother now. I know all this seems overpowering and especially if you are struggling financially, even more so. So let's forget almond flour etc for the moment, and just work on getting your carbs down and replacing with veg, cheese, meats. It can all be really tasty, promise. We will help you step by step x
Hi ladybird. No problem at all - I stand corrected :happy: and I'm glad that you now get them free. X

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was also down for a while after being diagnosed, it's the realisation that life as you know it has to change..
However, look after your diet, and exercise, it's not so bad.......
Metformin, I had no prob sat all, my daughter who is pre diabetic did have a bit of probes, mostly bad tummy.
Thanks for your reply. I am getting more and more down after realising that I am no longer "Normal" when going out for a meal or just eating any meals at home! I have a lot of "falling forward/dizzy" spells and dont know what sets this off as I cant get a machine until after payday. Ill measure it as soon as possible.
Hi ladybird. No problem at all - I stand corrected :happy: and I'm glad that you now get them free. X

Hi JuicyJan, Thanks for your help about the free prescriptions advice, I've been to see the nurse tonight and she says I am entitled to them as I'm going to be taking Metformin and Iron as Im also anaemic. o_O

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Ladybird64, not sure if your message to "OP" was for me but have been eating low carb for a couple of weeks now and am just trying to find new things to compensate for what I shouldnt have or need to cut down on, hence the almond flour question. We also got paid nearly 6 weeks ago at work and I cant wait to go and shop with my new knowledge gained from this forum. :happy:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi welcome to the group
It really is not as bad a you may think and there is plenty you can eat. As you see by Ladybird64's post that some of us just cut out the starchy carbs like bread potatoes pasta and rice and stop eating all sugar foods which is a bit harder if you had a sweet tooth but it will make a big difference to your BG levels. Please stop thinking you are not normal anymore you are still a normal person who happens to have diabetes that can be controlled

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your reply. I am getting more and more down after realising that I am no longer "Normal" when going out for a meal or just eating any meals at home! I have a lot of "falling forward/dizzy" spells and dont know what sets this off as I cant get a machine until after payday. Ill measure it as soon as possible.

Hi JuicyJan, Thanks for your help about the free prescriptions advice, I've been to see the nurse tonight and she says I am entitled to them as I'm going to be taking Metformin and Iron as Im also anaemic. o_O
That's great news, I'm so pleased for you. I know that scripts can add up very quickly. Sorry to hear you're still troubled with the dizzy spells. I suppose it could be a combination of the anaemia and the diabetes and may settle down once you're able to get control of your blood sugar. Take care, we're all rooting for you :smug: Jan x

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hello everyone, I've been glued to this website since I was told just over 2 weeks ago that I am type 2 diabetic. I had a blood test in August 15 but didn't get the results until recently. I had been left a message from the dr telling me that my blood test results were fine and nothing to worry about, just slightly anaemic. I have been thirsty a lot and panic if I don't have a water bottle with me, especially at work if we have any meetings. It does get embarrassing. I have also been feeling like I am falling forward a lot, even when sitting down. I am due to see the nurse this Friday after work to discuss things. She has written me a prescription for metformin, but I havent taken it yet as I work full time and apparently it gives you a very bad stomach? I would also like to buy a testing machine and see if I can lower my blood glucose with a low carb diet? I have seen many ideas on here for this and am keen to get a machine as soon as I am paid next week. I want to find one with the cheapest replacement strips though. I must admit I am very confused and am finding myself looking at a cupboard full of food that I daren't eat now. I used to eat low fat (when I could stick to it) but have yo yo dieted for years now, losing 3 stone and putting it back on. Now my ryvitas at approx 7 carbs per slice seem bad :( I also love bananas and went around Sainsburys today checking the carbs of various fruit and veg and was mortified to see that a banana has about 20 carbs in it :bag: I also love crisps and used to buy the baked wheat or grain kind and now see that a bag of these has about 17g in it:arghh:. I walk from the city centre to where I work every day which is approximately a 25 minute walk, but I am going to try to walk from home to work which is about 1.5 hours. The only problem is, my feet have always been very dry and have quite a deep crack in one at the moment which gets worse when I walk much on it. I had my 50th birthday this year, and wanted to be fit and fifty and feel very depressed now. Does anyone else know if metformin always upsets their stomach? Also, I like to go for a drink at the weekend and apparently this makes you very sick with Metformin. Sorry to go on and moan but am feeling very down at the moment. :shy: I think the nurse said my blood was 17 and should have been about 5-7. Im not sure which test this was taken from though and will check this Friday.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Jal 16 We all know how you feel believe me, I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. What a shock!! I went into a low state, didn't know what to eat even went into a supermarket and stood and cried in despair of what to buy. £ weeks on with eating salads fruit bran flakes eggs more or less the same as Juicyjan 53 eats. You will be able to vary your food as you get to take it all in I was BG 19.3 now 3 weeks on 8 this morning before lunch 6.8. Look forward not back. I have had lots of stress over the last few years my husband is now disabled through a motorbike accident then my son got killed in a motorbike accident, now I have this diabetes to cope with too, but guess what If you fall get up and try again. You are not alone keep on this site its very supportive

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Jal 16 We all know how you feel believe me, I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. What a shock!! I went into a low state, didn't know what to eat even went into a supermarket and stood and cried in despair of what to buy. £ weeks on with eating salads fruit bran flakes eggs more or less the same as Juicyjan 53 eats. You will be able to vary your food as you get to take it all in I was BG 19.3 now 3 weeks on 8 this morning before lunch 6.8. Look forward not back. I have had lots of stress over the last few years my husband is now disabled through a motorbike accident then my son got killed in a motorbike accident, now I have this diabetes to cope with too, but guess what If you fall get up and try again. You are not alone keep on this site its very supportive
Hi Amgrundy, Thanks for your support. I' so sorry to hear about your son, you must be devastated, I'm glad that although your husband is now disabled at least you still have his support. Thank you for bothering to support me along with all your other stress over the past few years. I think the people on this site are fantastic. :)

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's great news, I'm so pleased for you. I know that scripts can add up very quickly. Sorry to hear you're still troubled with the dizzy spells. I suppose it could be a combination of the anaemia and the diabetes and may settle down once you're able to get control of your blood sugar. Take care, we're all rooting for you :smug: Jan x
Thanks Jan. I'm not sure what my blood sugar level is now, Ill try to locate the converter on this site. My hba1 reading was 100 last August and then 80 this January. I think my eye site has improved since eating lower carbs. The dizzy spells seemed to be a bit worse after starting the low carbs but I havn't had one in a couple of days. I'm still learning what to eat and am going to click on the link for the monitor that was recommended on here and see how much it is. I've finally been paid since 17th December!! :D

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are doing great. You have found this forum and have been taking note of the way forward, looking at carb content of your foods, buying a meter, and intending to try to control this disease. That is an excellent start!

You can get the SD Codefree starter pack from here http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/ and extra test strips from here http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/
They are about the cheapest on the market, and many of us on here use it. There is a discount code if you buy 5 or 10 packs of extra strips.

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
Hello again, Ive just looked at this link to order a monitor and wondered if you know or if it matters whether you order the mg/dl machine or the mmol/L? Also, are the lancets really painful to use? I may have to get someone else to do it :arghh:

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello again, Ive just looked at this link to order a monitor and wondered if you know or if it matters whether you order the mg/dl machine or the mmol/L? Also, are the lancets really painful to use? I may have to get someone else to do it :arghh:
Hey Jal. The only advice I can offer is never prick the 'pad' of your finger, always on the side where there are fewer nerve endings :) honestly it's not as bad as you may think. Jan x

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello amgrundy. I'm so sorry to hear about the shocking things you've had to deal with and I just wanted to say I admire your positivity. Jan x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

If you are in the UK you need the mmol/L version. The mg/dl units are used in the USA and a few other countries.
I don't use the Codefree lancets so I can't tell you if they hurt or not, but I can't imagine they are any different from any other sort of lancet.

Reactions: 3 people

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you are in the UK you need the mmol/L version. The mg/dl units are used in the USA and a few other countries.
I don't use the Codefree lancets so I can't tell you if they hurt or not, but I can't imagine they are any different from any other sort of lancet.
Hi thanks for your help, Im going to order one of those I think. Although on this site there is a monitor you can pay quarterly for the replacement strips and lancets but I dont think I´ll need that many. It works out about 30 pounds per quarter? Seems quite a lot of money, Although I dont know how many lancets you need to buy and how much they are? It says that the replacement strips are cheaper for this machine but do you have to keep ordering more lancets? Also can you use different makes of lancets? Sorry for all the questions, Im just trying to be sure before I buy one :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for your help, Im going to order one of those I think. Although on this site there is a monitor you can pay quarterly for the replacement strips and lancets but I dont think I´ll need that many. It works out about 30 pounds per quarter? Seems quite a lot of money, Although I dont know how many lancets you need to buy and how much they are? It says that the replacement strips are cheaper for this machine but do you have to keep ordering more lancets? Also can you use different makes of lancets? Sorry for all the questions, Im just trying to be sure before I buy one :)

You can use any lancets you like with any meter. It doesn't matter which brand.
Be aware it isn't the cost of meters that counts. Many, many are given away for free. It is the cost of the strips that matter. Just make sure you aren't paying more than £6 for 50 strips.
Why do you think you won't need many? Are you talking about strips or lancets? You can use as many or as few lancets as you wish, I certainly don't change mine very often. But certainly initially you will need a LOT of strips.

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can use any lancets you like with any meter. It doesn't matter which brand.
Be aware it isn't the cost of meters that counts. Many, many are given away for free. It is the cost of the strips that matter. Just make sure you aren't paying more than £6 for 50 strips.
Why do you think you won't need many? Are you talking about strips or lancets? You can use as many or as few lancets as you wish, I certainly don't change mine very often. But certainly initially you will need a LOT of strips.
Hi, I wasnt sure if the lancets were like needles that are packaged and get thrown away each time? Like in hospitals, clinics etc. Ive just watched some guidelines on testing your blood. Im not sure what you have to do or anything any the moment, so thanks for replying so quick :):) Im going to order this machine and then can get started!!o_O I presume you throw each strip away after using it once though?