Newbie / 20 / Diabetic T1 12yrs

ONash987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in Derby, have been diagnosed for 13yrs. Pretty rubbish control. I know no one in Derby with diabetes and would be great to have a chat! x

Also have a few questions:
>any recommendations for set meals for lunch?
>under 10g snacks?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jems7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rudeness and ignorance!
Hey I'm Jemma, 22 and have been diabetic for 14 years do you know what's causing your poor control (just out of interest!) under 10g snacks that I've found by the way, is some Kellogg's cereal bars and a lot of fruit packs (although they contain natural sugars too)! X

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in Derby, have been diagnosed for 13yrs. Pretty rubbish control. I know no one in Derby with diabetes and would be great to have a chat! x

Also have a few questions:
>any recommendations for set meals for lunch?
>under 10g snacks?

Welcome! How are you? I'm Amrit, been diagnosed for just over a year now. For lunch, it depends i tend to have a sandwich everyday however something like pasta with tuna and sweetcorn may work? Snacks under 10g there are a lot. Carrots, cucumber, chicken, boiled eggs, packet of popcorn etc... the list is endless. Try out meats or vegetables as they are the best for me. Hope that helped ☺

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey ,

I'm 24 , I've had diabetes for 16 years now . Nice to talk to people at similar ages .
I've got ok control , let slip slightly over christmas lol , got a beautiful baby boy too .

What about things like ryvita crackers for a lunch , and for snacks nuts .

Whats everyone's hba1cs ?

x

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys - @ONash987 , @Jems7 , @Amrit1712 and @Cloe-1992 how are you all doing?

Diagnosed April 2015 so still learning lots each week, especially foods to have and to avoid.

Snacks for me - few brazil nuts, cucumber slices, celery sticks, hard boiled eggs...usually I don't need snacks as feel full from one meal to the next.

I'm from Stoke-on-Trent.

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys - @ONash987 , @Jems7 , @Amrit1712 and @Cloe-1992 how are you all doing?

Diagnosed April 2015 so still learning lots each week, especially foods to have and to avoid.

Snacks for me - few brazil nuts, cucumber slices, celery sticks, hard boiled eggs...usually I don't need snacks as feel full from one meal to the next.

I'm from Stoke-on-Trent.

Been doing pretty well thanks; how do you think you're coping? I've been diagnosed for about a year and a month now so still learning as well. I can't go without cucumber and carrot sticks!

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's going okay @Amrit1712, thanks. Low Carbohydrate is definitely the way to go for me...preserving my honeymoon that little bit longer because of it!

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@teacher123

Hey , :) .

Oh wow you really haven't been diagnosed long , how are you finding it all . There's so much to try and take in a get your head around isn't there , I think we all learn daily with diabetes . Fun fun fun lol .

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
Hey :)

28..T1 almost 19 years (in 2 months I think!)

I also used to have awful control - my consultant thought I was the devil incarnate! But I got a pump a year ago & it's changed my life :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

28..T1 almost 19 years (in 2 months I think!)

I also used to have awful control - my consultant thought I was the devil incarnate! But I got a pump a year ago & it's changed my life :)

Wow devil incarnate lol that must of been bad :hilarious: , I've had diabetes for 17 years this year and I'm 24 . Had ok control with my diabetes .
That sounds really good that the pump has changes your life sounds like it really worked for you .

:)

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty

Wow devil incarnate lol that must of been bad :hilarious: , I've had diabetes for 17 years this year and I'm 24 . Had ok control with my diabetes .
That sounds really good that the pump has changes your life sounds like it really worked for you .

Haha I really was! I just didn't care!

It really has! I haven't felt this good about my diabetes ever! :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha I really was! I just didn't care!

It really has! I haven't felt this good about my diabetes ever! :)

I've just seen your tag Percy aye ;) I love that you've named your pump lol !!
So good your feeling better , what where your previous hba1cs to what it is now on the pump

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
Haha yeah, I figured I needed to do it, he's my little mate, goes everywhere with me!

Now they're down to 8, but I'm working on that. Whereas before...you don't want to even know!!!

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha yeah, I figured I needed to do it, he's my little mate, goes everywhere with me!

Now they're down to 8, but I'm working on that. Whereas before...you don't want to even know!!!

I love that lol , I should name my pens but there disposables ones and I can't come up with that many different names doesn't work out quiet the same :hilarious: .
that's good then it's going in the right direction , and ought oh I won't ask lol !! :p x

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
I love that lol , I should name my pens but there disposables ones and I can't come up with that many different names doesn't work out quiet the same :hilarious: .
that's good then it's going in the right direction , and ought oh I won't ask lol !! :p x

I usually name most inanimate objects in my life; my pump, my car...I once had an Iphone that was so terrible, I named him Ivan!! :joyful: but then I'll give names to ridiculous things too - like the spider that lives in my outside light on my porch!

Yep, probably best - I'd shock you! I'm more shocked myself that I'm still functioning with both feet and hands & the full twenty digits after my high blood sugar schenanigans! :eek:

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually name most inanimate objects in my life; my pump, my car...I once had an Iphone that was so terrible, I named him Ivan!! :joyful: but then I'll give names to ridiculous things too - like the spider that lives in my outside light on my porch!

Yep, probably best - I'd shock you! I'm more shocked myself that I'm still functioning with both feet and hands & the full twenty digits after my high blood sugar schenanigans! :eek:

That is one lucky spider , firstly by you letting him actually live there and secondly giving him a name he must feel important :hilarious:
I'm curious as to what they used to be now , Yourll have to tell me eventually. :p

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
That is one lucky spider , firstly by you letting him actually live there and secondly giving him a name he must feel important :hilarious:
I'm curious as to what they used to be now , Yourll have to tell me eventually. :p

Haha yeah, me & Basil get on pretty well - so long as he stays outside & eats the flies!

Well just off the top of my head there was...

Pedro Punto
Larry the Logo
Pepe the Peugeot
Samson the Sorento
Clifford the Clio (my current vehicle)
Oh, and Billy-Bob. Billy-Bob was my massive Ford Ranger pick up truck, which supposedly made me look like a hillbilly, hence the name not fitting in with my alliteration pattern!!:joyful:

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha yeah, me & Basil get on pretty well - so long as he stays outside & eats the flies!

Well just off the top of my head there was...

Pedro Punto
Larry the Logo
Pepe the Peugeot
Samson the Sorento
Clifford the Clio (my current vehicle)
Oh, and Billy-Bob. Billy-Bob was my massive Ford Ranger pick up truck, which supposedly made me look like a hillbilly, hence the name not fitting in with my alliteration pattern!!:joyful:

I did mean your previous hba1cs lol :hilarious: , but the names are just as good I'm surprised you can remember them all lol !!
Think my favourite would have to be billy bob lol just for the reason behind it , I just recently had my eye screening , how are your eyes with your past blood readings lol , if your lucky to still have all your fingers and toes have you still got two eyes :nailbiting: ?

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
I did mean your previous hba1cs lol :hilarious: , but the names are just as good I'm surprised you can remember them all lol !!
Think my favourite would have to be billy bob lol just for the reason behind it , I just recently had my eye screening , how are your eyes with your past blood readings lol , if your lucky to still have all your fingers and toes have you still got two eyes :nailbiting: ?

Ohhh. Whoops! :oops::oops: Well lets just say...it was in double figures! :arghh:

I had my last one only a few weeks ago, after having one not 2 months before that (they messed up the paperwork so I got two lots of funky eye drops, yay!)
Surprisingly, very surprisingly they're not too badly damaged! Imean, when I was 18 I had perfect eyesight...10 years on & I have to wear glasses all the time because I can't see in focus more than 3 feet ahead of me :( though thankfully, all my screenings seem to be coming back ok. I haven't been told any different by the doctors, so taking that as a good sign!

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ohhh. Whoops! :oops::oops: Well lets just say...it was in double figures! :arghh:

I had my last one only a few weeks ago, after having one not 2 months before that (they messed up the paperwork so I got two lots of funky eye drops, yay!)
Surprisingly, very surprisingly they're not too badly damaged! Imean, when I was 18 I had perfect eyesight...10 years on & I have to wear glasses all the time because I can't see in focus more than 3 feet ahead of me :( though thankfully, all my screenings seem to be coming back ok. I haven't been told any different by the doctors, so taking that as a good sign!

Sorry my fault not asking properly :hilarious:
Oh dear lol ! It's good it's going in the right direction now though , you've done well considering what they used to be ! :) Wow that's amazing that they seem to be ok bet your happy with the outcome there , I have to wear contacts / glasses but not diabetes related lol . What made you change your mind and start controlling your bloods ect ?