Lantus injections?

alicerebekah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

Me again (I'm sure you'll soon get sick of me asking questions )

But basically I inject my Lantas into my thighs and that stings enough as is it. But the last couple of nights I've noticed that I'm starting to bruise?

Does anyone else get this? My thighs are so sore, I don't think I can go on much longer!

I've only been diagnosed for 2 months and have sort of been left to figure things out on my own so I'm not sure if there are any other places I could inject for my night time insulin?

Thank you all for your help, you're all amazing x

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Why your thigh? Using a pen? Small needle? Why not in your belly?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What length need are you using? I think it does take a while to get the injection technique perfected.

Silly question, but do you choose your spot carefully - that is, have a look at your leg and avoid visible blood vessels?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could try doing the Lantus in your buttocks (maybe not the part you sit on!)

You can also inject in your midriff and arms (though I was never keen on using my arms).

Powell2410

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on the pump now for 12 years (I'm 27) but I was on injections since I was diagnosed a week before my 2nd birthday. I've never really had a problem with injections. But...
My stomach was favourite as it was the easiest if I was out and about. But when at home or in a private place I used to prefer the top of my arms or my thigh or my buttocks. Never really felt sore because o was only using the 6mm needles but if I used the same site too often that area would get hard and start to swell and hurt if I continued injecting.

alicerebekah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What length need are you using? I think it does take a while to get the injection technique perfected.

Silly question, but do you choose your spot carefully - that is, have a look at your leg and avoid visible blood vessels?

I'm using 4mm at the minute. I do try check before I inject. I'm just putting it down to not having enough experience yet

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
4mm sounds good :) I've never used Lantus as I've been on a pump for 12 years, but when I did basal injections I always used my thighs. I used one one night, one the other, and made sure to work my way systematically down and across the bit of the thigh that's good for injections.

If you really feel it's the Lantus itself, then you could maybe talk to your DSN about trying a different basal.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I use lantus and inject on my right side of my stomach... I tend to inject apidra on the other side. It works for me that way.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @alicerebekah
I injected for 43 years before starting on a pump last september.

I injected Lantus for 18 years and normally rotated between my thighs and the top of my buttocks.
One of the techniques to assist injecting is to "pinch an inch" with thumb and forefinger and pop the needle in to the soft hollow created between the two.

I injected my novorapid into my upper arms and stomach.

if you are getting a lot of bruising it would be good to talk it over with your DSN.
Lantus does have properties that can cause it to sting so perhaps another basal might suit better.

all the best !!

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could be wrong but I seem to recall @tim2000s writing quite a bit about reactions to Lantus...maybe he can advise.

jsmith8196

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes!!
I was going to put a post similar to this! Ive been injecting for just over a year now and find the only place that doesnt sting is my belly. But recently my lantus is causing the most horrific bruising! I look like ive been beaten! Its horrible! Ive never bruised this easily before.. Glad to see im not the only one though! Xx

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was never able to do Lantus in my thighs without bruising. I just don't seem to have enough fat there - didn't matter what size of needles, it always stung and I'd get big bruises. I moved to using my buttocks and found that a lot better - minimal stinging and never bruised. Obviously that's where I keep all my fat!

Reactions: 4 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was never able to do Lantus in my thighs without bruising. I just don't seem to have enough fat there - didn't matter what size of needles, it always stung and I'd get big bruises. I moved to using my buttocks and found that a lot better - minimal stinging and never bruised. Obviously that's where I keep all my fat!
Exactly the same for me - always got bruises on my thighs and have been using buttocks for last 10 months with no issues at all.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Can't comment on the bruising. May be because you need shorter needles.

On the Lantus sting though, that's fairly normal. It's acidic so that it crystallises when injected to form the reservoir and acids sting when injected.

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hate people who think they know about T1D, but they really don't
There is more than one place you can do Lantus because I take it too. You can take it in you thigh (like you do), in your arm, near your shoulder, in your stomach, at least two to three months inches away from your belly button, and in your upper butt cheeks.

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same problem with a lack of fat on my thighs and couldn't inject without drawing blood and injecting in the buttocks was a pain in the ..... I started to inject lantus into the right side of my stomach and novorapid on the left. Been doing it for a few years now and it works well for me, even seemed to make the lantus last the full 24 hrs which it wasn't before. I just mark where I inject and move along about a cm each time.

alicerebekah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to see I'm not the only one suffering! I'll have a chat with someone today! The stinging is bad enough so maybe time to try a different basal :) xx