Blood from cannula site

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you take your cannula out and quite a lot of blood starts to come out as well, what does this mean

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When you take your cannula out and quite a lot of blood starts to come out as well, what does this mean
That when you applied the cannula you hit a capillary. You can see this in some cannulas as you can see the blood back up in the fitting.

It's nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
It's what's known as a gusher :) What does it mean? Answer a mess to clear up unless you had supplies of tissue to stem the flow. It's a bit :eek: when it happens for the first time.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's what's known as a gusher :) What does it mean? Answer a mess to clear up unless you had supplies of tissue to stem the flow. It's a bit :eek: when it happens for the first time.
My first one went all over a white shirt :(

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My first one went all over a white shirt :(
So far I have been very lucky and only one gusher in the 8 or so years I have been pumping and it was a mess as just stood and looked at it in surprise.

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers guys, was wondering why my bs levels were going down so quickly after bolusing

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I had a gusher a few months back, the blood was pouring out and made a right mess of my clothes; don't worry about it @Topher as these things do happen from time to time.