Called into the office for using my insulin in staffroom

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
As much as I agree with what you say and how angry this makes me the OP's colleagues have rights too. I've been in a similar situation and whilst nobody should have to inject or test in a toilet, an employer is only required to provide a suitable place to do these functions. I can't believe people still object to seeing us treat ourselves but once they do, an employer has a duty of care to those also.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
This is probably one of the reasons we catch illnesses from having to inject in toilets I don't think it's hygienic but we are still pushed in a dirty rotten toilet to do it can you imagine all the dirt and bad air that we inject inside our bodies they don't even think of that or don't even care people poo in these toilets for Christ sake. Sorry just mad on hygiene and hate when have to inject in toilets and it's many of times can't count.
Angela T

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Sorry if i bring this up, i read a post earlier today by a teacher who experienced same thing that happened to me this morning.

My day started, but manager wanted to have a few words, said its nothing serious, then went on to say that several people have mentioned that they feel uncomfortable when i take my insulin in staff room, i use a novapen, i eat my dinner, was my plates, then take my insulin, i feel i'm discreet, i take my jumper off and just lift my sleeve, few clicks and its gone, i don't pull down my trousers or sit with a big syringe while i draw the insulin, now i've always as many of you have struggled through life trying to be accepted as having a normal life, but to be told that i should get up and go and take it else where, means i'm hiding my problem, i'm being pushed into a corner so i don't upset peoples peace, I admit i got very angry and upset, felt like crying myself as i've worked with these people for years and felt that they all understood i had Diabetes and accepted the things i have to do, but obviously not, i now feel like i've gone back to the dark ages and struggling to find how i can work with people like this who can't even speak to me about it.
I'm deeply hurt is about all i can really say.
Know what you mean with this one have experienced it in the past myself.
Angela T

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This is probably one of the reasons we catch illnesses from having to inject in toilets I don't think it's hygienic but we are still pushed in a dirty rotten toilet to do it can you imagine all the dirt and bad air that we inject inside our bodies they don't even think of that or don't even care people poo in these toilets for Christ sake. Sorry just mad on hygiene and hate when have to inject in toilets and it's many of times can't count.
Angela T

I'd never inject in a toilet anymore... mainly because I did so once in a small one where there wasn't much room between the basin and the door (I wasn't going into a cubicle). Well some woman opened the door and whacked me hard just as I was injecting. Then she freaked out when she realised what I was doing... had to tell her it's ok and I'm diabetic. Then she apologised profusely. So ever since I refuse to inject in a toilet.... I will walk away to a quiet corner if I have to do so because of people staring at me. If I'm in someone else's house I will walk into another room and inject and then go back and eat with them.... especially if there are kids around.

November1115

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I believe that others have rights too..... of course being diabetics we are entitled to a lot but some pp do not wish to witness any injections, blood tests etc ...we are all entitled to our privacy and our colleagues and friends theirs...

Bravo2zero

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfit thin people who think all over weight people are unfit
Hi don't think I could add much more to what's already said, I test often at work due to hypo,s I did initially ask if anyone minded, they said no but to be honest it would not have made much difference I would have carried on anyway. SOD THEM, ask them to there faces who minds, bet no one will admit it too your face. Why not lie on the floor and see what the trained first aider does. Ha Ha
Take care and carry on
Dave

Reactions: 4 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
After reading some of the above posts i am unsure whether to take another employment which I have just been offered ...I am 70 years old but worked in the Social Services for many years..I loved the work and have just retired ...I have now been offered another job but before when I worked I was not Diabetic..I am now and on Insulin which I inject twice daily.. if I can not do this or if people we work for do not like you to inject in front of people then I ask myself is this not right or should it be avoided at all costs..decisions decisions :confused::wideyed:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
After reading some of the above posts i am unsure whether to take another employment which I have just been offered ...I am 70 years old but worked in the Social Services for many years..I loved the work and have just retired ...I have now been offered another job but before when I worked I was not Diabetic..I am now and on Insulin which I inject twice daily.. if I can not do this or if people we work for do not like you to inject in front of people then I ask myself is this not right or should it be avoided at all costs..decisions decisions :confused::wideyed:

will you need to work at the time of your injections? I inject at work, I just do so when others aren't watching me. If they happen to see me giving myself my injection then they're going out of their way to watch me as far as I'm concerned. It isn't their business anyhow and we need insulin to be able to eat.... unlike most of them that just eat whatever they want without having to think about injecting or taking meds a lot of the time. I inject and take meds for other conditions at each meal. I'd say just go ahead and inject as you would normally as I'm sure you will figure out how to do so without them watching.

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I wouldn't worry about it. If you have insulin pens, then injecting is very discreet. There are ignorant (and nosey) people everywhere. Don't let them dictate what you can and can't do. Testing and injecting discreetly at your desk is none of anyone else's business, and if they do notice, most people are simply curious.

Reactions: 6 people

Chris Thailand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm also a teacher, but T2, and during my learning curve when I was discovering what I could or couldn't eat I tested with my finger pricks as often as I needed to wherever I was on the school campus.
The kids were interested, the staff sympathetic and there were no conflicts at all.
I'm grateful I work at a good place

Reactions: 2 people