Weight loss

Fragilewend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with type 2 Two months ago. I started on Metformin 500mg twice a day. Before being diagnosed I weighed 12st 51b I now weigh 10st 61b has anyone else experienced weight loss while taking Metformin or should I be worried? Have stopped eating anything sweet but struggling to cut down carbs. My Glucose levels are between 4.4 and 8.2 so seems ok.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you eat?

Metformin is supposed to help suppress appetite, but I've found that the right diet - in my case very low carb high(er) fat - is far better for losing and maintaining weight. But just cutting right down on sugary food would probably be a factor in weight loss.

Robbity

Fragilewend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understand that Robbity I have lost weight in the past cutting out sugary food but not as quick as this time. Got a diabetic review next week so will discuss it with them. Thanks for your reply.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try cutting down on all carbohydrates (potatoes, flour, rice, pasta, cereals... ) not
just sugary food, as all the starchy stuff ends up as glucose too.

If you give people some idea of what you actually eat, they may be able to offer you more relevant or specific advice though.

Robbity

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Another factor to consider would be the action Metformin performs in breaking down fat stored in/around muscles which can lead to weight loss. Your GP will be able to answer that possibility for you

Goldiespring

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started on Metformin in September last year. I also started reducing carbs and calories and increasing walking. I have lost 5 stone to date. I have always had a weight problem and nothing has ever worked before as a diet. I don't know if it's the metformin or the low carb that has made the difference but not changing either until the next 5 stone is gone!

Reactions: 6 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I started on Metformin in September last year. I also started reducing carbs and calories and increasing walking. I have lost 5 stone to date. I have always had a weight problem and nothing has ever worked before as a diet. I don't know if it's the metformin or the low carb that has made the difference but not changing either until the next 5 stone is gone!

Congratulations, that is really an amazing achievement!