Newly diagnosed type 1, not a clue what I'm doing!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was diagnosed in June last year and am still on the mixed insulin, morning and before and dinner. I can almost guarantee my blood sugar is 12-17mmol 2 hours after eating and I keep getting told by the "professionals" this is normal as everyones blood sugar goes up and down during the day. Leaves me feeling awful most days with a dry mouth a few hours after most meals.

Spikes like that would make anyone feel ill, insist that you are changed to a basal/bolus insulin regime as you can control postprandial spikes better by doing simple things like getting the injection timing right.

Reactions: 2 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in June last year and am still on the mixed insulin, morning and before and dinner. I can almost guarantee my blood sugar is 12-17mmol 2 hours after eating and I keep getting told by the "professionals" this is normal as everyones blood sugar goes up and down during the day. Leaves me feeling awful most days with a dry mouth a few hours after most meals.
12-17mmol is absolutely NOT normal or acceptable and you should push for your health care team to help you adjust your doses or to switch you to a basal-bolus regime. You should tell them that you know the NICE guidelines state that type 1 diabetics should be targeting levels of 5mmol to 9mmol 2-hours after eating and you want them to help you work towards that.

You might like to print a copy of this page to show them and support your arguments. They are really letting you down!

Reactions: 3 people

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only people who get spikes to 17 after eating are traditionally managed diabetics, its not normal for anyone else. @noblehead and @pinewood are right, it needs to be sorted.

Markham_K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I can't really help, I'm newly diagnosed too, January 2016.. I'm also finding everything daunting, but my dads become an expert on everything.. It sounds like you're doing well.. I keep getting told to mess with my insulin (I'm on nova rapid & levemir) I'm doing the carb counting thing, at first it's confusing but I'd recommend it... I think you should get in touch with your diabetic nurse, they've been a god send to me.. If you need to talk about anything you're more then welcome to message me :) x

koicarp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, as I'm so new to this I didn't really want to argue my case with them but I can perfectly understand what you're saying. A few of my friends offered to test their own blood after eating (using a different tester!) so I could see what a "normal" persons sugar levels were like.

Sorry Markham_K - it feels like I've taken over your post a little

Reactions: 2 people

Dannyb87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was put on carb counting a week after meeting my nurse and dietician at my second appointment, diagnosed Xmas Eve I met them 2 weeks later (making it 3 weeks ;P) I think I'm honeymooning-I'm bang on the button for 10g carb - 1 unit insulin, no corrections so far :), but I've been warned off the gym and just sent some info today, I assume incase I don't listen before I go on a course I'm signed up for... Lol

96a75b5f48599b81f953f3ae3df8c797.jpg

37b5e4dea743c9b8eb44e3525da6b7f8.jpg

9fd828d49db2b42de5610f62c29f244f.jpg

98a2df4f3b097895999b976cda8553ac.jpg

d10394fa2b9761283fa81a83b920043f.jpg

Hope that's helpful-sorry, I've had to photograph them.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The bottom line is you're going to have to do your own research and decide what approach is best for you.

It took me less than a month before I felt comfortable on a basal/bolus insulin regimen and I learned to carb count a week after diagnosis. Granted, I read for 4+ hrs a night in that first month(and sometimes still do) but it's going to take you years if the only time you learn is during your 1hr doctor visit.

Remember, your doctor should decide WITH you rather than FOR you.
Side note: I can't see a situation where anyone should ever be prescribed mixed insulin, and I wasn't even aware Humulin was still prescribed to new patients. Humulin is 33 year old technology (1982) and I wouldn't ever come close to the stuff if it were me.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've downloaded Think Like a Pancreas onto my Kindle this afternoon. & read the first couple of chapters. Finding it interesting already :). Thanks everyone!
Another good one is "Using Insulin" - it makes a good reference manual to refer back to.