Dr Mosley and the diet that reverses type 2 diabetes.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've watched some of the progs and always come away thinking.... group / pool size, really?

Our pollsters couldn't tell us who was going to win the last election on pool +1000 and the only question they were asking was, Labour or Tory.

Maybe me.

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would definately like to see a timeline stating his journey through HIT and IF and his Hb readings at these times as well then that would give everyone a clear picture of the actual results of his efforts at every stage but I think it is very unlikely that this informaton will ever come to light.

Reactions: 4 people

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
One of the posters above says this could be because the TV docos (on fasting and fast exercise) (where he was not presented as diabetic, but as in danger - which I interpreted as borderline prediabetic - still a scary situation as it indicates early signs of insulin resistance), predates the book considerably. I don't understand this timeline, because 'the end point' of those TV progs is that he improved his insulin sensitivity and got out of the danger zone (via IF and HIT). (Hey! I loved those TV programmes! I love the 12 mins of HIT a month idea!) It could be, of course, that he then went on to cross into prediabetes, and then diabetes. But, you see my point here? What then of the methods, if he actually developed full blown diabetes AFTER IFing and fast exercising? something does not add up! My belief is, it is in the reporting of him having reversed his own diabetes. But in order to know this, we really need to know his HBA1c's eh?!

I have done some reading and I think I got the chronology figured out now. During the filming of a documentary about weightloss released in 2011,Ten Things About Weight Loss, he undergoes a ct scan, which shows that he is loaded up with visceral fat. The doctor in charge looks alarmed at the picture and is even more startled when Michael mosley casually mentions that his father had type 2 diabetes. The doctor mentions that Mosley should do something about this, but they Michael Mosley does not say he has diabetes or prediabetes,only his father story. This must be sometime during 2010 or 2011, since the this documentary is released in 2011.

In february 2012 the HIIT-training documentary is released, presumably filmed during 2011. Michael takes an Oral glucose tolerance test in the documentary, and I am not able to read the numbers on his blood test paper, but they say his test came back, just in the healthy range, this is important. He does HIIT training, improves his insulin sensivity by 24% thereby controlling his sugars. He then states that he is not able to keep the training up,and he quits.

He then states in several interviews varying versions of this story, he went to the doctor in february 2012 for a random checkup, and his blood tests came back with a too high cholesterol and the doctor tells him he is diabetic and he should be on drugs to control it http://www.dietdetective.com/diet-d...ournalist-dr-michael-mosley-author-fast-diet/ . Michael Mosley then refuses drugs, and goes on to make the fasting documentary shown on tv 2012 ,6 august, During the documentary he takes lots of tests, bodyfat 27%, and so forth, and he loses a lot of weight. During his 3 day fasting during the documentary his sugars goes from 6.2 to 4,4. At the end he has lost 20 pounds and his sugars are completely normal.

The important part for me is the meeting with the doctor in february 2012. In this interview for instanc Michael Mosley claims he was a diabetic, http://www.dietdetective.com/diet-d...ournalist-dr-michael-mosley-author-fast-diet/
, diagnosed by his doctor and made to go on drugs right away. In other interviews he has always talked about how the doctor advised him going on drugs. I have seen interviews where others have said that he was diagnosed in the "diabetic Range", others as with prediabetes, and I have also seen himself say he was diagnosed in the diabetic range, or as a diabetic. He has also been saying that the doctor said I was heading towards diabetes, so it seem you can chose your pick. But he calls himself a diabetic and also says that he has been diagnosed with prediabetes, so it seem Michael Mosley is a most casual fellow when it comes to being explicit about his numbers! So every man can now decide for themselves if Michael Mosley is worthy of calling himself a diabetic!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately the more I hear the more sceptical I become. Why not just be upfront and state numbers instead of all the mystery. The problem when people are being vague is they're not very believable. I get the impression that he was only ever at the high end of being pre diabetic but as he was out of the non diabetic range he classed himself as being diabetic. I could very well be wrong but personally that is the impression I get.

Reactions: 5 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have done some reading and I think I got the chronology figured out now. During the filming of a documentary about weightloss released in 2011,Ten Things About Weight Loss, he undergoes a ct scan, which shows that he is loaded up with visceral fat. The doctor in charge looks alarmed at the picture and is even more startled when Michael mosley casually mentions that his father had type 2 diabetes. The doctor mentions that Mosley should do something about this, but they Michael Mosley does not say he has diabetes or prediabetes,only his father story. This must be sometime during 2010 or 2011, since the this documentary is released in 2011.

In february 2012 the HIIT-training documentary is released, presumably filmed during 2011. Michael takes an Oral glucose tolerance test in the documentary, and I am not able to read the numbers on his blood test paper, but they say his test came back, just in the healthy range, this is important. He does HIIT training, improves his insulin sensivity by 24% thereby controlling his sugars. He then states that he is not able to keep the training up,and he quits.

He then states in several interviews varying versions of this story, he went to the doctor in february 2012 for a random checkup, and his blood tests came back with a too high cholesterol and the doctor tells him he is diabetic and he should be on drugs to control it http://www.dietdetective.com/diet-d...ournalist-dr-michael-mosley-author-fast-diet/ . Michael Mosley then refuses drugs, and goes on to make the fasting documentary shown on tv 2012 ,6 august, During the documentary he takes lots of tests, bodyfat 27%, and so forth, and he loses a lot of weight. During his 3 day fasting during the documentary his sugars goes from 6.2 to 4,4. At the end he has lost 20 pounds and his sugars are completely normal.

The important part for me is the meeting with the doctor in february 2012. In this interview for instanc Michael Mosley claims he was a diabetic, http://www.dietdetective.com/diet-d...ournalist-dr-michael-mosley-author-fast-diet/
, diagnosed by his doctor and made to go on drugs right away. In other interviews he has always talked about how the doctor advised him going on drugs. I have seen interviews where others have said that he was diagnosed in the "diabetic Range", others as with prediabetes, and I have also seen himself say he was diagnosed in the diabetic range, or as a diabetic. He has also been saying that the doctor said I was heading towards diabetes, so it seem you can chose your pick. But he calls himself a diabetic and also says that he has been diagnosed with prediabetes, so it seem Michael Mosley is a most casual fellow when it comes to being explicit about his numbers! So every man can now decide for themselves if Michael Mosley is worthy of calling himself a diabetic!
So if one makes a reasonable assumption he was borderline diabetic at most because of insulin resistance due to too much visceral fat and most likely he had not worn out or killed off a big chunk of his beta cells.

Just an FYI, long term HIIT exercise in your late 40s and beyond is very difficult to maintain both mentally and without injury.

IMO, LSD is better long-slow-distance with anaerobic thrown in for spice.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Unfortunately the more I hear the more sceptical I become. Why not just be upfront and state numbers instead of all the mystery. The problem when people are being vague is they're not very believable. I get the impression that he was only ever at the high end of being pre diabetic but as he was out of the non diabetic range he classed himself as being diabetic. I could very well be wrong but personally that is the impression I get.
Very good points, but even in scientific studies they don't include numbers unless you really dig and you find out that tight control is A1C of 6.5 or less and according to Dr. Bernstein most of us will develop long term problems at that high of BS.

For me he can call it whatever he wants or claim whatever he wants. I know that eating a LCHF diet ( focusing on veggies ) and regular exercise with weight loss ( most difficult for me as any fat goes straight to my internal organs ) works and I don't require as much insulin.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
hey,

I am reading his book the Fast Diet, from 2013, and on page 46, he states that he had a fasting bloodsugar of 7.3 on his bloodtest, page. He says this again on page 48.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So if one makes a reasonable assumption he was borderline diabetic at most because of insulin resistance due to too much visceral fat and most likely he had not worn out or killed off a big chunk of his beta cells.

Just an FYI, long term HIIT exercise in your late 40s and beyond is very difficult to maintain both mentally and without injury.

IMO, LSD is better long-slow-distance with anaerobic thrown in for spice.
HIIT is not suitable for people with lots of extra weight, I agree, but if the weight is low, I belive even old people can do it. Michael Mosleys way of cycling is the best, but swimming would be great to.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
HIIT is not suitable for people with lots of extra weight, I agree, but if the weight is low, I belive even old people can do it. Michael Mosleys way of cycling is the best, but swimming would be great to.
Good points. We never considered swimming part of HIIT. It was like burpees, kettle ball squats, jump rope, mountain climbers, etc all at 90% plus for max of 15-minutes. It was physically and mentally hard. I'd rather go for a long jog or lift or hike than do it over years and years.

Dr. Bernstein and my brother both swear by the recumbent bike.

Last edited by a moderator:

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I tried HIIT I think it would kill me, I will stick with walking I think, that and Im thinking of borrowing my mother in laws stationary bike. Im too old for intense anything, especially with a stuffed achilles tendon.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hey,

I am reading his book the Fast Diet, from 2013, and on page 46, he states that he had a fasting bloodsugar of 7.3 on his bloodtest, page. He says this again on page 48.

Well, I have had two fasting blood glucose tests over 7 but neither my doc or nurse seem in the slightest bit interested in diagnosing me. And they certainly haven't advised me to do anything about it - or given me drugs.

NICE recommends a prescription of metformin at (I believe) and HbA1c of 53, with further drugs added if that doesn't work.

Mosely does seem a bit 'fluid' with his medical history, doesn't he? I would have thought clear details and numbers would have been selling points.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mosley has been on TV almost constantly over the last 2 or 3 years doing any number of weird and wacky things to his body in the name of "medical science". I don't remember any mention of diabetes before this series/book.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you guys are really fixated by this, then why not contact him and ask him directly? He's incredibly easy to find.

His Twitter name is: DrMichaelMosley
His website is: thefastdiet.co.uk
And he is on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael...cmpt:primary,VSRPnm:true,authType:NAME_SEARCH
He is even on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Michael-Mosley-418966418298875/?fref=ts

There seems little point spending hours of time digging into scraps of information, trying to fill in the blanks, when you could contact him. I'm sure a polite approach might garner useful information.

Reactions: 9 people

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding, from reading articles when 5:2 was first publicised, is that before attempting 5:2 Michael Mosley had a few high fasting results that his GP was keeping an eye on and then had a fasting result of 7.0 or 7.1, I can't remember which, and his GP was about to put him into medication. 5:2 brought his levels down and the HIT even more so.

I have been 5:2ing off and on for about 4 years and when on it, it works, my problem is that I stopped when my Mum died and sugar shot up, tipping into diabetic levels with an Hba1c of 49. With 5:2 alone this did drop to 46 in 3 weeks but it did get to the point where this was not enough and low carbing reduced it to 43 in October.

I have nothing to lose by giving this a go. I am on day 17 and going well. Fasting levels this week are lower than last week (5.5, 5.6, 5.6) and hopefully will be lower next week. Also my 7 day averages were 6.2 week 1, 6.1 week 2 and so far this week 5.9. I have lost 5.25 lbs giving me a total loss of 36.25lbs since starting 5:2 12 months ago.

If it doesn't work, then I know I have given it my best shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 people

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It strikes me that this book is a rehash of Roy Taylor's Newcastle diet (?) that I've been on for 8 weeks. I've lost 1stone & 12.lbs (with another 3st to go) but my Body & Visceral Fat levels are still high. When my VF level is normal I hope my pancreas will recover.

Reactions: 6 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It strikes me that this book is a rehash of Roy Taylor's Newcastle diet (?) that I've been on for 8 weeks. I've lost 1stone & 12.lbs (with another 3st to go) but my Body & Visceral Fat levels are still high. When my VF level is normal I hope my pancreas will recover.
Yes, the diet is based on the Newcastle diet, but using real food instead of the meal replacement shakes.

Reactions: 10 people

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Yeah, the foreword is written by Roy Taylor, and the first 25% of the book covers the theory behind the diet, and it is basically a lots of stats and figures how about diabetes, and a conversation with Roy Taylor about how he developed his theory. So yeah, Roy Taylor was mery much involved in this book!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

How are you settling into your scales? Do you find the data useful? And finally, have you found anything that helps ascertain the measures for VF? I find the 1-9 a bit arbitrary.

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I am very interested I now you measure VF. I have lost 2st 10 over the past 12 months, BMI is now 23.2.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I am very interested I now you measure VF. I have lost 2st 10 over the past 12 months, BMI is now 23.2.

My scales have a go at calculating VF. I have the Omron BF511: http://www.omron-healthcare.com/en-gb/products/weightmanagement

When researching scales, I did a fair bit and concluded it's important to choose a machine with hand grips as well as foot pads, as the former only calculates the VF of the upper and lower body respectively, and some of us carry our weight in different places. I like these scales.

I do know that the number on the scale reduced as I got skinnier, but I can't find any meaningful explanation of the metric (a numerical value of 1 - 9) values, relating to health.

Alternatively, you could have a DEXA scan, but I have my doubts your GP would refer you for this on the NHS. They are available, commercially, in some centres around the country if you Google it.

Reactions: 5 people