My low carb/IF Diet - BG and progress

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Deb - I may have missed it, but did you have your bloods done the other day?

You seem to be getting right back into the swing of things. :)

Yes! Last Monday I went for the tests and have a review tomorrow evening to face the music.....I'm a bit excited although I'm not sure why. My snazzy scales arrived today so I jumped o them tonight. Hate them - apparently my body age is 52 so I need to stick to this forever now!!! I'll do a proper weigh in tomorrow, then track progress from then. I think they're more sensitive than old ones too so no getting away from reality.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes! Last Monday I went for the tests and have a review tomorrow evening to face the music.....I'm a bit excited although I'm not sure why. My snazzy scales arrived today so I jumped o them tonight. Hate them - apparently my body age is 52 so I need to stick to this forever now!!! I'll do a proper weigh in tomorrow, then track progress from then. I think they're more sensitive than old ones too so no getting away from reality.

Good for you getting your bloods done.

Ooooooh, your scales sound very snazzy. Mine either don't do age, or they're too afraid to tell me! My scales measure to 0.1kg, so 100gr. I don't know about the imperial scale as I've never set it that way. Which did you buy in the end?

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was t particularly hungry today....

L: crayfish avacado salad. Cheesecake fluff dollop. Water.

D: courgetti Bolognese. Babybel. Tea (with half a sweetener less than normal....trying to ween myself off gently )

Cold is kicking in. I looked awful today and the kids all noticed. Did nothing for my self esteem!! I really hope I can sleep!

Next week I finally have drugs review with doc and I'm going to ask if I can get off the gabapentin as its a known weight gainer...

And that's about it! Decided I will go out for my birthday but for a sensible meal, so we're off to the Harvester. I'll have ribs and will allow myself to have a sundae for dessert. I will not drink either....
Xxxx

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@andbteathe. After having hunt around and being shocked at the cost of this gadget, I opted for a cheap one (£23) off eBay. It links to Apple health app too so I can track it all as I progress. I thought it told more info than what Ive found so far but no idea as instructions are in Chinese!! Seems to be working ok though...

I really feel like I'm turning my life back on track again. I just read some diet doc stuff about eliminating dairy and artificial sweeteners. That's my next point of focus.

Then I'll be on the mint tea again.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@andbteathe. After having hunt around and being shocked at the cost of this gadget, I opted for a cheap one (£23) off eBay. It links to Apple health app too so I can track it all as I progress. I thought it told more info than what Ive found so far but no idea as instructions are in Chinese!! Seems to be working ok though...

I really feel like I'm turning my life back on track again. I just read some diet doc stuff about eliminating dairy and artificial sweeteners. That's my next point of focus.

Then I'll be on the mint tea again.

Can you find a more Deb-friendly manual for your scales on the web?

Have you noticed the Ch4 programme at 8pm is looking at the High Fat and Paleo diets, as well as other?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so I'm back from diabetic review with nurse. She was really pleased with my results although I know better!!

Good news is, in the time I went off the wagon, I've only added 0.4 to my hba1c which came back as 6.8.

All my cholesterol levels are good, as well as my blood pressure.

I'm being referred to podiatry for my dodgy toenail so not sure what that'll entail.

Thank you everyone for making me go. I really need to stay on the wagon now and remain focused. I asked for a retest form for three months which she's given me.

I feel slightly relieved but know I need to get more done. I am determined to get my stats down.

Was also interesting that she told me you don't need any sort of medical qualification or training to qualify to be an expert trainer!! So that explains why it's a lottery . She said I should do it!!!!!

So onto food today...

L: double cheeseburger (no bun), cheddar cheese melts. I really fancied them but wish I'd checked the carb content before I ate them!! 18g in 5!!! Washed it down with water.

S: babybel

D: bacon and eggs. Decaf coffee.

And that's all for now! X

Reactions: 8 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Do you test at other times of the day? My fasting blood tests are always my highest because of dawn phenomenon. I find I can bring fbg down a bit by eating dinner earlier and no evening snacking. I also find there's a few minutes window between getting up and DP kicking in, if I can test in that little gap it is often lower.

Nickzzz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I dream of BS levels below 6, this mornings was 7.8
Trying to stick to low carb diet...

Diagnosed Nov 2015 with
Blood Sugar level = 26; HbA1c = 104; Cholesterol = 5

vickk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have been type 2 for around 7 years and mostly diet controlled but things have changed fast in the last 12 months going from diet control to 4 Metformin tablets per day. After my last check up I decided to buy a meter and try the LCHF .

At the start 3 weeks ago I had morning results before Breakfast of between 10 &11 these have gradually come down to around 8.5 this week.

Having a meter has given me some surprises as I have found that my recommended (by the nurse) breakfast of Cornflakes gave me a 2hr test result of 17.7 which was twice the increase that porridge gave.

I may not be doing the diet in its strictest sense as I am concentrating on taking carbs out of the main meal of the day and still having either porridge or 2 wholemeal slices of bread either for Breakfast or Lunch. Generally I find the porridge will give me a spike of between 2 to 4 as does toast and eggs, however I find that my evening meal is not causing much of a spike. The sort of readings I am getting now are 8 before breakfast 10 after, 6.5 before lunch and 7.2 after, 6.0 before dinner and 6 to 6.7 after with a last reading before bed of 6 to 6.5. On average these are 2 to 3 points lower than 3 weeks ago.

It may seem like a loft of testing but at the start I was trying out my normal foods to see what gave the highest results that I could quickly drop. I have also started some moderate exercise that I used to do but dropped off after becoming complacent that my type 2 was under control.

LizMorgan

Hi Deb, hope you don't mind me butting in - have read your blog with interest and awe - well done you. Don't be disheartened by FBG going up and down, anything can upset it. I've been doing LCHF for over 12 years now, was prediabetic but am "cured". I come off LC for special occasions LOL, but weight has crept up so am doing the fasting too now (am 53 and all those dam hormones are messing things up). Couple of tips - a nice slice of cheddar cheese with butter on (loadsa butter) makes an awesome and filling snack, plus minimise those sweeteners and fizzy drinks. Even a burger from MickeyD may have bread/wheat in it so watch for those hidden carbs too. You may find that just thinking about sweet food is enough to push up your blood sugars/insulin but certainly some people find sweeteners spike them. Test test test, as everyone is individual on how a certain food reacts in their bodies.

There is a fab Facebook group primarily for T1 diabetics called Typeonegrit, but they have loads of support, ideas and recipes for any LC diabetic.

Keep at it - you're doing the best thing for your self and your family.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook. Same here - fasting test tends to be highest. I get jealous seeing everyone's low FBG and want some of that for me

Because I'm up a lot during the night, I don't do myself any favours but can't be helped. I'm sure that also skews my results too....

L: fish pie, spinach, cauli mash topping, broccoli. Cheesecake whip and Diet Coke.

S: pork scratchings.

D: ????? Undecided. Could actually just go to bed as I'm really feeling my cold now....

vickk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Deb & All, I have read your thread with interest and like you I am disappointed at my early morning readings and the spike after breakfast so after reading some of the things on here I decided to try something out and the results have left me confused. I don't know if anyone on here could offer an opinion or if I would be better posting this as a separate thread.

Basically I tested myself before bed then when getting up 9.5 hours later and then skipping breakfast and testing myself 2 hours later. I expected the last test to go down rather than increase like it does after my breakfast.

Last Reading before bed = 7.1
First Reading after getting up = 8.3
2 hours after getting up and no Breakfast = 9.6

the last one is not significantly lower than if I had taken my usual porridge breakfast in fact looking back over the last 7 days I have had exactly the same figures with eating Breakfast.

Confused ????????????

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmmm. For me, my highest reading is generally the fasting one unless I've exercised, in which case it seems to rise that day but I get a lower FBG the next day. In the past (before I ruined my back spinning at the gym) I used to get higher readings after gymming too. Only thing I think causes it is the body is reacting to the change.

I am on extremely low carb so wouldn't dream of eating porridge (I used to and the spike was huge!!)

I remember from last time that weight has a massive influence and someone told me that once they'd lost 18-20% body weight, they drastically reduced they're BG. I am definitely overweight and am hoping once the kg's fall away, I will see a change.

I also have been doing the 18:6 fasting which is pretty easy and have only had breakfast once which made me eat more that day.

I'm still collecting trends for myself - you can track it on an iPhone which is handy - but I think I need to test more during the day. It's hard though with work.

So I'd say to you to cut the carbs a bit more and see what that does. I basically only eat veg and occasional fruit to get my carbs....

Keep at it!!! Xxx

vickk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply Deb, Can I just ask what FBG relates to. Is it F for fasting or first test of the day. In my case they could mean the same as generally my last meal is around 18:00 hrs and my first test of the morning before breakfast is around 09:30 hrs the next day with no food taken in between.