Problem!

Dannyb87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I've just finished work and went to pick up my prescription from the doctors, first one, and they won't issue it and saying I have to see the doctor again Monday- which would be fine, except I have 3 testing strips left and 4 needles (injecting 5 times a day) what am I supposed to do?

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
call the Dr to call the pharmacy, reuse needle and buy test strips on your own?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I've just finished work and went to pick up my prescription from the doctors, first one, and they won't issue it and saying I have to see the doctor again Monday- which would be fine, except I have 3 testing strips left and 4 needles (injecting 5 times a day) what am I supposed to do?

Did you tell the surgery you're very short of strips? Can they issue you some now and then more when you see the doctor?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Remind them you need to test frequently as you're on insulin, and that you also need to test before driving, etc.

I had a similar problem with my surgery and they promised me it'd never happen again (not being given strips when I needed them)

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
buy a pack of test strips and ask pharmacist for some needles - explain what has happened.

beastchips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That is so frustrating. That happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I had about 3 strips left and I test about 8 times a day. I made it a point to see a walkin doctor later that day to prescribe strips and I just didn't check as often for the day.
I got a note telling them how often I test so now they won't be rejecting me. :)

Calling the doctor to call the pharmacy also seems like a good idea though.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
This is of no benefit to your current predicament, but something for the future.

Once I had needles, strips and lancets on repeat prescription I would put the repeat in 3-4 days early each month and got away with it. Over the months, I have managed to stockpile all of these items, so if I'm snowed in or unwell and can't get out I know I'm not going to run out.

I've always been a hoarder ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Dannyb87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everyone-I contacted my diabetes nurses and they put some aside for me, only 3 hours of rush hour driving on a Friday night lol. I'm a newb at all this and I couldn't believe the stupidity of it tbh!

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its a good reason to try and use the same pharmacy regularly as they will often lend on the basis of you having that prescribing record with them.

Reactions: 4 people

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
go to your nearest hospital diabetic clinic,thell give you a prescription or thell have the test strips you need & needles

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A good rule of thumb and something I have always stuck by is to order your next set of supplies when you have 1 of said items left. So 1 box of strips left order some more. 1 vial of insulin order more etc. It just means that you have a bit of leeway and can have reassurance in case something like this happens and you can't pick them up till a later date.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks everyone-I contacted my diabetes nurses and they put some aside for me, only 3 hours of rush hour driving on a Friday night lol. I'm a newb at all this and I couldn't believe the stupidity of it tbh!

It happens Danny, be like June and start hoarding. I do it too, but would also happily share if someone nearby needed supplies.

I think there should be a link up between type 1's for this type of emergency where we can shout someone near by to 'borrow' supplies if caught short, it would be a good way to network but also help each other other in times like this.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Our surgery now has a facility that allows repeat prescriptions to be ordered online & passed directly to my nominated chemist. I can order and collect 2 days later.

I expect that it wouldn't help you at the moment, but could save that rush hour drive in the future. Also, as mentioned above, if you use the same chemist for your prescriptions, most will give you an 'advance' on a prescription that you haven't got yet.

By the way, you'll be surprised how quickly you stop being new at it all and it becomes routine...

Dannyb87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well I'd left 2 panicked messages and they got back to me 15 mins before the clinic closed lol, after I posted. I hadn't seen a doctor in my adult life until all this so I'm a real newb!

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Danny. Not sure if youre on FB but there's a group where there are other t1s who try to help each other out in situations like this. It's called 'Help I forgot my T1 kit' or something like that. You can post want you need and someone local may be able to help!

Radge21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This happens way to often

I ordered a repeat prescription earlier than normal and ended up with no items at all and had to make an appointment to see my GP.
He wanted to know why I had ordered my stuff two weeks earlier than normal.
I said because I would be in the USA during the weeks I would normally send my repeat prescription in, and it was for the stuff I needed to take to the USA with me.
The system is a shambles and the travel and bother getting away from work to get to the surgery was unreal.