Fat

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, thanks Fergus. That is a fantastic study. I have definitely filed that one under 'important information'.

The HCFS found in so much processed food and drink is certainly a huge problem these days.

The fructose in fruit is not an issue - unless you eat an awful lot of it, because it comes wrapped in the means for proper digestion, the fibre and water and other elements. Its when it comes as a large quantity of fructose without those benefits that it becomes problematic.

I have also come to realise that a lot of our problems may be down to dehydration. We may drink a lot of fluids but if the fluids themselves contain sugars and other elements that are actually dehydrating to the body then because it is having to use some or even all of the water in the drink to process the sugar and other stuff in it, the body can't get enough water to function properly and we are falling into an increasingly growing hydration deficit.

The body needs water (and minerals in real unrefined sea or rock salt so that it can be properly used by the body) for so many different processes, but generally we don't give it enough of that. Meanwhile we are continuously eating and drinking foods that are dehydrating - carbs very much so, and not making up the shortfall.

I wonder now if the stomach issues I had with Byetta might not actually come down to the fact that taking it dehydrated my body so much that that is why my digestion collapsed. There just wasn't enough water in my body to drive the stomach acids for digestion. Removing the gluten, then having to remove even the gluten-free grains and also the starches, sugars and dairy (because my digestion couldn't cope with them either) would have lessened the dehydration load on my body. I was also eating some fruit and more veg which would have helped, but still not have really addressed the underlying dehydration issue.

People these days seem to drink anything but water. It has to be flavoured with something. Even carton fruit juice is high in sugars, albeit natural ones, but a glass of neat orange juice is like eating 12 oranges without the fibre, etc., and no one in their right mind would actually do that! Very few people even bother to dilute it. We are sugar junkies!

Have I become more and more dependent first on medication and then insulin because my body is getting more and more dehydrated? Is my hair falling out because I am dehydrated? Have I had stomach issues because there is just not enough water in my body to keep driving the stomach acid production? Am I diabetic because the cells in my body aren't hydrated enough to accept the insulin???

We rarely eat just three meals any more. People often are 'grazing' all day long - their stomach acid is going at it all day! The body has to somehow keep replenishing that and provide enough fluids to deal with all the other stuff as well. The stomach and digestive issues and inability to process carbs properly, and weight issues, etc., etc., have been with me for a long time - - way before I finally became diabetic. Were they signs that my body was trying to tell me it wasn't getting enough water??

The water on its own is good, but it needs the minerals and trace elements in the salt in order to be processed properly. Too much salt without enough water is not good and will almost certainly contribute to raising blood pressure. The other thing is that much of the processed food these days is full of salt, but it is not good salt. It is cheap refined salt which contains only sodium chloride and nothing else - table salt. Good unrefined salt contains many different minerals and trace elements - all of which are necessary and give us balanced proportions of sodium, magnesium, potassium and calcium and other minerals. If we have more sodium than anything else, that too will create dehydration issues.

I have been following the protocol for just two days, and already I can see the benefits. My blood sugar was the same this morning as it was when I went to bed last night - 5.4, which is unusual. I am extremely interested to see where this goes. I will keep to the low carb (low dehydration) regime for the moment - but I would be chuffed to think that once rehydrated I might be able to cope with a little more carb here and there, and might not even react to gluten any more - who knows! I have never been a great one for drinking - not even flavoured drinks, but now I am taking the salt my thirst has kicked in properly and I am drinking, and able to drink a lot more. It may take several months to build the levels back up - I don't expect instant results, but any progress is better than no progress at all! Thirst is not necessarily a true indication, well not in our unbalanced diet these days, of the body's need for water. My body always, until now seems to have interpreted thirst as hunger. I recognised that a long time ago.

There are testimonials on the internet and experiences of people who have reversed all sorts of health problems, even T2 diabetes, and I have seen at least one of a T1 who has been able to radically reduce his insulin just by drinking the water and taking salt (half your lbs weight in fl oz - i.e. 180lbs = 90oz water, plus a quarter to half a teaspoon salt a day either a little at a time on the tongue after drinking some water and/or added to food).

Dobbs

Doczoc said:
Like Hana and Graham, I can only confirm that my lipid profile has improved markedly since increasing saturated fats. Trigs have plumetted, HDL up, LDL down and normal blood pressure after years of high! I know the accepted 'truth' is that saturated fats increase cholesterol but I haven't found that to be the case.

The most startling effect was a complete reversal of fatty liver disease in two months. The doc told me I'd have to adopt a low fat diet and it could take as much as two years. She used the words 'remarkable' when I was 'clear' two months later. When I explained my diet I was fortunate that she said, "just carry on what you are doing"

It's a tough decision to ignore the standard advice, but until my body tells me otherwise I am going to continue to reap the benefits.

Doczoc,
could you give us a bit more detail about your diet? Sounds like you're doing the right things...

Doczoc

Useless Pretty Boy said:
hanadr said:
Fat doesn't cause cholesterol to go up. Carbs do; particularly Fructose.
Look at the talk by Dr. Robert Lustig
"Sugar the bitter Truth" Google for it
Hana
Eating an apple a day is going to give me a heart attack?

OK... suuuuuuuuuuuure. :roll:

And you have the nerve to bleat about how others respond to you??? :roll:

Doczoc

Dobbs said:
Doczoc,
could you give us a bit more detail about your diet? Sounds like you're doing the right things...

I follow a typical low carb diet really. I eat as 'natural' as possible, I rarely eat processed foods, whether that be low carb substitutes, sweeteners, meats or highly processed oils and fats , preferring to cook everything from scratch. I eat good quality proteins, meat(skin on) and (loads of)fish, nuts (almonds, pecans, macadamias, brazils), lots of dairy (love my cheeses and cream), I cook with lard, butter, coconut oil, use cold pressed olive oils for dressing with good quality red wine vinegar, loads of fibrous veg, some tomatoes and onions. Occasionally have a Ryvitta. Um I'm sure there's more but basically that's it. I eat limited amounts of berries and low gi fruits usually with full fat greek yoghurt. I rarely drink these days, but if I do I drink dry red or white, but can have a few beers without too much impact on BG levels.

I understand why people are so anti fat, it is the accepted 'truth' but I appear to have suffered no ill effects and have gained a lot of health benefits.