Remission?

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I haven't been on here for a while but still read the posts for encouragement and inspiration. I've continued following the lchf lifestyle since March last year when I was diagnosed and my previous hba1c saw a good reduction in numbers.

I've just had another one carried out and I am pleased to say that my hba1c is now 33! I am totally over the moon with the result and at times it had been really hard with the occasional slip up. The nurse said that if my next test in 6 months is the same then she will remove my name from the diabetic register! I would still get a yearly hba1c to ensure my levels are still low but she would put down that I have reversed my diabetes! I'm not sure how I feel about this and guess I'm asking what this means will I no longer be classed as diabetic?. I'm guessing increasing my carb intake would get me back to square one.

I am happy honestly, I guess I just don't want to think I arn out of the water if this is just temporary and a change even moderately in eating will bring it back!

Reactions: 22 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
'm not sure how I feel about this and guess I'm asking what this means will I no longer be classed as diabetic?. I'm guessing increasing my carb intake would get me back to square one.

You might not be classified as diabetic but that's like getting out of the jail cell but not being able to scale the prison walls because if you slip up, you'll be behind bars again ..... but that is a FANTASTIC result so well done. Brilliant effort !!!

Reactions: 7 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys, I appreciate the support of this forum I couldn't have done it without the advice here. I'll still be lurking in the food forums and it definitely drives it home that I must never go back to where I was...I've had a fortunate glimpse into the future...and me no likely:)

Reactions: 10 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, @Mrsmac247
I love a success story.
I remember your posts when first diagnosed.. Your young daughter was ill? Hope she and all your family are keeping well.

Don't stop posting updates. Encourages the rest of us.

Reactions: 3 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all I haven't been on here for a while but still read the posts for encouragement and inspiration. I've continued following the lchf lifestyle since March last year when I was diagnosed and my previous hba1c saw a good reduction in numbers.

I've just had another one carried out and I am pleased to say that my hba1c is now 33! I am totally over the moon with the result and at times it had been really hard with the occasional slip up. The nurse said that if my next test in 6 months is the same then she will remove my name from the diabetic register! I would still get a yearly hba1c to ensure my levels are still low but she would put down that I have reversed my diabetes! I'm not sure how I feel about this and guess I'm asking what this means will I no longer be classed as diabetic?. I'm guessing increasing my carb intake would get me back to square one.

I am happy honestly, I guess I just don't want to think I arn out of the water if this is just temporary and a change even moderately in eating will bring it back!

Wonderful news indeed!

I like talking about T2D sometimes as an expression of 'carbohydrate intolerance' (for some T2 diabetics anyway - me included!). So why not be able to say you are no longer diabetic but you are pretty sure you are carbohydrate intolerant? And eating a lot of carbs would send you off on the path again...

(I would love to be able to say that! Sighing, with happy for you envy!)

Reactions: 5 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes indeed @Pipp she has had a long medical road but is doing very well which allowed me time to concentrate on myself. I have managed to shift 3 stone of weight and still have maybe another stone and a half to go! Really looking forward to this year!

Reactions: 13 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol I love the prison analogy as well as the carbohydrate intolerant description! I so hope I can continue on this path, I aim to anyways

Reactions: 7 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very, very well done. You had a whole bunch of challenges at one stage, so you did incredibly well to stick with it. :)

Reactions: 4 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remission, reversal, control it doesn't matter which word you use because it is your health and your hard work that has achieved this.

Really well done, brilliant news:)

Reactions: 6 people