Freestyle Libre - what's involved & is it worth it..?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't want anyone to see it and ask me questions - I'm very private about my diabetes. I was only persuaded to have a pump when I realised you could get one without tubing (the Omnipod) and therefore hide it under clothing. No one has ever noticed it! I think if I were to invest in the Libre, I'd have to know I could use the sensor on my leg, and that doesn't really seem possible from what people have said here...

So...have you found the Libre helpful then? Has it been worth the expense etc?

Understand you want your privacy @Okulu and respect that.

Have a read through the following thread discussing the Libre, it's rather long but you will get some good feedback on whether the Libre is worth the money or not:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/freestyle-libre-on-sale.65900/

I've found the Libre helpful, like you I'm using the Omnipod pump and have found the graph feature of the Libre extremely useful when basal testing, it's also been useful when bolusing for difficult meals like those that are high in fat, using the graph and looking at the trend arrows has allowed me to use the extended bolus feature of the pump better.

I can't say if it's been worth the expense as I've only been using it a few weeks, got off to a bad start with the first sensor but the next one and my current sensor have worked fine.

Reactions: 2 people

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In answer to the concerns about cost, yes it is expensive to keep going fulltime all year. However, if you can find the £150 for a scanner and two sensors then you get 4 weeks which will give you a real opportunity to see what is going on with your BGs and try out a few changes. There are more than a few libre users out there who then just buy sensors occasionally to check how things are going.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I have had an email saying I can order and am going to do it when I get paid, have just started on the Medtronic minimed and the cgm for the pump costs £550 for a starter pack so see the Libre as much better value, I am hoping to improve my control so see this as a real opportunity to do so.

johncon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
1. How helpful actually is it? From what I understand, you can scan it, and it tells you the last 8 hours of BG readings, and where it's heading - is that correct? Does it do anything else? I've been on it since June and found it extremely helpful, the sensor holds information for 8 hours. You use the scanner and that holds all the information from you're 'numerous' scans for 90 days. Some days I can scan 50 times, just depends how I'm feeling and what I'm doing, it does give you a sense of security when you know what your BG is and also which direction its going.

2. Does it mean you don't need to do any finger prick tests anymore? You still need to finger prick test, I do it before meals and bed but the number of tests I do has more than halved.

3. Is the sensor comfortable? I don't feel its on at all

4. Can you wear it anywhere other than you're arm? (Basically, I don't want anyone to see it). I think it only has a licence for the arm but plenty of others use it where they feel most comfortable

5. Availability - the website says it's out of stock at the moment. Anyone know how long you have to wait for one? And how you get on a 'waiting list'? You've got to register on the website and this puts you on the waiting list. They don't tell you how long this waiting list is and you've just got to sit tight. I waited around 4 months to get mine but I know others have waited 6 months.

6. What's the cost per year? Once you're ordering it works out around £100/month

7. Is it likely that the NHS will ever fund it? I believe that they're trying to get it funded on the nhs but that will obviously take time.

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks again everyone for all your insights. I've decided to purchase one and use it ad hoc when I want to know what's going on. Since there is a wait for it anyway, I've decided to stick my name down - that gives me a bit more thinking time too! Does anyone know how long you have after receiving the e-mail to say you can order the starter pack to when you need to purchase it?

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
I have had mine for about 7 months now. Best money I spend every month. Monitoring sugar levels is so easy. I do an occasional finger prick to check levels but so far all is good. I have been diabetic for 50 years and this is the biggest and best thing that has happened for me. HBA1c down, weight down, long term complication risks down. Well worth going without something else to get one I say. You may have guessed I am a fan!

Reactions: 6 people

Jestred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got my Libre just after xmas, Best thing Santa ever delivered. I do love my Libre I was just going to use it adhoc, but now I im sold, I can see when my my novorapid is starting to kick in and avoid the spikes and you can scan scan scan. It is a tad expensive but well worth it. the insight into your BG levels just great. Defiantly Recommended. although but is around 1mmol out at times.

Reactions: 6 people

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry, only just seen all this! Thanks again for all your responses.... Now I know I can order right-away, I'm going to have a serious think about how I will fund it before I do... Thanks anyway though!

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone know if price quoted is inclusive of Vat and deducted when purchased. Costs seem to have gone up since I originally added name to list? £159 pack and £58 for 1 patch?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
with the I claim relief from Value Added Tax box ticked it is £133.29

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I just wish mine was here :)

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it worth it? I thought I had pretty much sussed this T1 thing out, until I saw my first 24hr graph......what a roller coaster! I had gottten a tad lazy with my testing and mainly relying on my pre-meal testing which were all more or less where I wanted them but now I can see loads of areas where I can make adjustments and hopefully improvements. Best money I've spent in a long time.

Reactions: 4 people

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on the libre now and I love it...I had to wait six months waiting list on Abbots website but they contacted me when it got to my turn, and now I can reorder up to 2 sensors at a time.
The sensor is comfortable(I'm on my 3rd one now).
The placing of the sensor looks scared, but it honestly doesn't hurt at all, and is easy to press the unit onto your arm to fix securely. Very well designed.
I find I don't bother blood pricking anymore, but you should if you are going to drive to check you Ae above 6 mol. I find it's pretty close to my BG level of a finger prick, generally within 1 mmol.
The waiting list is for the reader(starter kit) with 2 sensors, and this will set you back £140. It's £39 for reader, £49 for each sensors which lasts 2 weeks each.
I hope it will be on nhs one day, as would save a lot of people going into hospital, especially young adults I reckon. My nurse reckons it's just a matter of time before it is.
So here's hoping, as me anything else about it. I love it, had no rashes, no problem leaning on it in bed either, it's pretty sturdy :)

MatildaS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

I'm Phil and my daughter's name is Matilda. She has had Type 1 since she was 3.
She's now 5.
She wears a Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm pump and tests her blood sugar 6-8 times a day.
Her HBa1C is 6.3.
So far so good.

Because she's so young we were hoping to get her to use the Libre (if only to save her fingers!), but our health insurance company (we live in Germany) will not pay for it. Until now they have paid for everything - her pump, a replacement pump, insulin, test strips, catheters etc really anything we need.

The insurance company's main reason for not forking out is that the Libre does not replace finger pricks, and also does not cost them any less. Do you think this is a valid, defensible argument? They claim to have the support of several physicians on this.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I was a little and the tracking is not to good but just had an e-mail from DPD saying it will be here tomorrow

Reactions: 3 people

Jkm2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had mine for 1 month. I had to wait 6 months but is been amazing. The first sensor failed for 4 hours and they sent me a new one straight away. I plan to eat it every 2 months and my consultant who is also type 1 said at tech the sensor and leave it 2 days before activating. This improves the accuracy ( she was one of the developers). I still use my combo and I'm on the old accucheck pump so the only downside is I have to still do a BG test if I need to correct to access the bolus calculator. Also DONT correct for 4 hours after good or you may find you give your self a hypo. Like anything use your common sense. If it's worth anything it's having the ability to see how your levels change at night and what exercise and different foods do to your glucose levels. Worth every penny but use it by monthly to keep track.

Reactions: 4 people