Music Music Music!

Thirsty

I'll bet you didn't sing it in the same key as Robeson! He's not altogether forgotten, you know; my wife and I play his songs now and then. On a good day, I can even hit notes that low as I sing along.

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
I always liked Madness and would have loved to get tickets to see Madness but couldnt afford the price .

However do get to see a lot of unsigned live bands and play and sing in a band myself so get best of both worlds I guess.

:p

Gothamgirl

Classic Rock mainly. Especially ACDC

I really like Celtic Music too whent he mood takes me - Lorenna McKennit, Clannad, etc MIke Oldfield's Voyager album is very special to me.

And Live Music rocks!

Funky Mum

First single was Cars - Gary Numan
First album - not sure but probably Adam & The Ants :lol:
First concert - Paul Young. Haven't been to many but the best was Depeche Mode - Exciter Tour. Worst was Kula Shaker, but I only went as OH liked them.
Love the smaller gigs too, The Brook in Southampton have some great bands. Paul Young does Los Pacominos now - great fun night guarenteed! Once fell asleep there seeing Dr Feelgood :oops:

Now I love Depeche Mode, Take That, 80's, Reggae.

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
oh dear oh well here goes

first single - show me your a woman by mud

first album - Simon and Garfunkel

first concert - David Bowie at Cardiff Arms Park the spider tour

ATSBod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh, dear - the first "single" I bought was "Christmas Alphabet" by Dickie Valentine , on a 78rpm record. I remember asking at the counter for it (I was about 7-8 years old, I think), at Lewis's in Birmingham.

First album, some years later, was "Please Please Me" by The Beatles.

Not been to many concerts, apart from The Who in 1970 (LOUD!), The Moody Blues 2 years ago and The Australian Pink Floyd (excellent), earlier this year.

I mainly listen to classical and New Age stuff these days, though (apart from Muse :wink: ).

... Jim

stewpid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it's about time I gave you a clue on age!

First record - "Give me just a little more time" by Chairman of the Board

First album - Diana Ross and the Supremes Greatest Hits Volume 1

First gig - Yes (Tales from Topographic Oceans Tour) - Hardrock Manchester (1970 something I think)

still listen to all this stuff from Motown to Rock, but enjoy lots of the new stuff too (Kasabian, Bloc Party, Arcade Fire and many more).

Latest gig I went to was James Taylor at the MEN Manchester about ten days ago - he was superb - a real legend.

Going to see the Eagles at the MEN this coming Sunday - always wanted to see them but never been able to get there before now - can't wait.

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
I've got some cool news re music - my bands gonna release a single to the download charts - you never know we might make the top 20 lol if we sell 4,000 downloads.
:lol:

Rushy

My tastes have always been a bit all over the place so here goes..
First single was: Joy division - Atmosphere (12" Single.. I hope that counts).
First album: Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti 2.
First concert: Dire Straits - Love over gold tour.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Did anyone else enjoy Wednesday's Prom Concert when the "Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain" were playing :?: :D

foxy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Expect this will stump a lot of you.
First music was a vynl of Winifred Atwell on her piano. and played it on our wind up gramaphone.
First Cd was Queen.
First concert was Emmie lu Harris and the Hot Band at the Royal Albert Hall
Also, just love Keane
And going to see The Tattoo at Birmingham National Indoor Arena in November.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
foxy said:
Expect this will stump a lot of you.
First music was a vynl of Winifred Atwell on her piano. and played it on our wind up gramaphone.
Would that be her "other piano?" And surely not vinyl, as the 78s were shellac & the wind-up grammaphones only played for about 4 minutes. I enjoyed a recording of Beethoven's 6th Symphony on 12 sides of 78s !

Happy days :D :!:

foxy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, IanD,won't argue with you on the "vynl" question but it definitely was a windup gram. The music started off at full gallop and petered down to a whine! Had to quickly wind it up again in mid flow. We had lots of staunch marching music records and very few of the "modern" of the day. Do you remember "mares eat oats & does eat oats,& little lambs eat ivy, A kid'l eat ivy too, wouldn't you?" We thought it was a hoot at the time. My how music has changed - for the better, thankgoodness.
Was extremely impressed when the school I attended when I was about 13, took us to St. Andrews Hall here in Norwich to hear Sir Malcolm Sargeant and his orchestra. Absolutely blew me away!
Recently went to see "Take That" when I was in Ireland. Brilliant. Did anyone see the elephant structure they had in the programme? Only thing that made me a little vexed that having paid for a seat being a disabled person, found that everyone stood up! Enjoyed it immensly anyway.

abhock

whatever happened to all the modern jazz fans????......looking at all these post's,I'feel like the original "dinosaur".........my first "single" was "love for sale" by the great Ella Fitzgerald!!
my first album was.."The Modern Jazz Quartet at Music Inn"
and my first concert was to see..."Oscar Peterson and Joe Pass in concert".....I was in a "daze" for weeka after......and "practiced very hard on my clarinet" with the hope that one day!!!!!!???????

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
abhock said:
whatever happened to all the modern jazz fans????......looking at all these post's,I'feel like the original "dinosaur".........my first "single" was "love for sale" by the great Ella Fitzgerald!!
my first album was.."The Modern Jazz Quartet at Music Inn"
and my first concert was to see..."Oscar Peterson and Joe Pass in concert".....I was in a "daze" for weeka after......and "practiced very hard on my clarinet" with the hope that one day!!!!!!???????
I can remember when the MJQ was modern :roll: :!:

At the hospital heart rehab exercise class they have an assortment of noisy records - as background - no-one skips to the rythm - but in the middle of one CD is a recording of SWAY! Terrific.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good post Sandy!

First single: Don't stop me now by the one and only Queen.

First Album: Bat out of hell by the great Meatloaf. (Think I drove my parents to despair!!!)

First concert: Meatloaf at the Glasgow Appollo. ( Building sadly long gone.)

As you see, I like my rock. Best concert was Genesis at the Birmingham NEC in around 1983.

Favourite band of all time has to be Iron Maiden ! :)

Regards

Nigel

rottweilsteve

Dislikes
incorrect punctuation (see above), Otherwise dishonesty, discrimination, prejudicial behaviour. and general nastiness.
First single with my own money (as opposed to birthday/xmas presents) was T Rex's Ride a White Swan

First album was probably Electric Warrior and first concert was T Rex touring in support of Electric Warrior.

Between then and now includes Tangerine Dream, Curved Air, Van der Graaf Generator, Depeche Mode, Toyah, Quintessence, Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, Bowie and The Cure.

Right now I'm really enjoying Scary Bitches http://www.thescarybitches.com/ who sound like The Cure with Lene Lovich on lead vocals - very macabre, very witty.

Steve

Knapweed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1st single was 10CC Rubber Bullets
1st album: Eagles - One of These Nights
Favourite band: King Crimson
Best band in concert (ever - 4 times): Metallica, closely followed by Porcupine Tree

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
norseman said:
Queen
Led Zep
AC/DC

Current favourites Inkubus Sukkubus - good, pagan rock ! :twisted: