Treat with caution.

creambun

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snakes, Ironing, Some rap Music
Hi Everyone, Now I know I have to be aware of all these treats. I keep giving myself, for some daft excuse. I have had a wake up call today, after visiting Ellesmere Port Hospital on a Borderline Pre Diabetes Course, telling me and about 20 others be more aware of sugar, fat and carb intake and how I need to make life style changes and exercise that bit more. I have fortunately, lost a stone in weight in about a month due, to cutting Bread intake and giving up sugar in Tea. The hard part is establishing a routine, and changing from a sweet tooth to perhaps more savoury. I think what I Snack on needs to be re addressed, if anyone can give me some good tips on that it would help Thank You. I tend to go for crisps, dark chocolate and mints.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hi
So, as you are realising - your snacking has got to be reassessed!!!! Crisps are not great - well, they're great - but not good! the dark chocolate is better than milk or white chocolate, but I would only have a square of it occasionally. And for me, mints are not OK - the sugar content is huge. You could look for reduced sugar mints but I'm not sure if they are any better.
So, my snacks are: natural and uncoated nuts like almonds, Brazils - the occasional peanut. A noggin of cheese. A slice of ham. A spoonful of yogurt. An oatcake. A bite of a natural fruit bar by a company call Naked. They do a banana bar which is not OK all at once, but bite size bits now and again OK.
I hope this isn't filling you with dread. Before diagnosis, I would snack on crips, pretzels, bread and butter. Bread and butter being my favourite snack. I still want to eat these things, but I know that they are not ok for my blood sugar.
The other radical thing you could do - and of course, it would increase your weight loss, is to cut out snacks all together. Go cold turkey and then introduce a different type of snacking in to your life.
I'm sure other people will suggest more!
Good luck and keep that pre- diabetes status as long as you can with awareness and lifestyle change!

Reactions: Freema

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I like those "Fridge Raiders" chicken snacks. Also peperami & beef jerky. Definitely low carb, but watch out for all the protein if you have too many!

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When I get the urge for crisps, I get the packs of 8 poppadoms from either Aldi or Lidl which are 3g carbs each and one of those broken up into a bowl is enough to scratch that itch and give you the same crunch.

Olives, Babybel cheeses, pork scratching, nuts (KP original peanuts are lower carb than many), 9 bars (the peanut ones are lower carb and half of one is enough to feel like you've had a treat - 7g per half), peanut butter. If you read the labels, many of the wheaty crackers are 3g of carb each, as are some oatcakes and a couple, spread with butter and PB will fill a significant gap. I keep big pots of full fat Greek style yogurt in and that's filling too.

Just be mindful, as Geoffers said, that many alternative low carb foods can be high in fat and protein instead, so overall calories need to be considered too - and I see protein as a slow release carbs - it will still effect BG, just a lot more slowly - which can be good for evening out BG readings.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Hi Everyone, Now I know I have to be aware of all these treats. I keep giving myself, for some daft excuse. I have had a wake up call today, after visiting Ellesmere Port Hospital on a Borderline Pre Diabetes Course, telling me and about 20 others be more aware of sugar, fat and carb intake and how I need to make life style changes and exercise that bit more. I have fortunately, lost a stone in weight in about a month due, to cutting Bread intake and giving up sugar in Tea. The hard part is establishing a routine, and changing from a sweet tooth to perhaps more savoury. I think what I Snack on needs to be re addressed, if anyone can give me some good tips on that it would help Thank You. I tend to go for crisps, dark chocolate and mints.
Hi Greambun and welcome to the forum, stay with us & you won't go far wrong, if you don't understand something or have more questions ask away, you can get all the support & advice that you need here. I had my lunch earlier consisting 2 hard boiled eggs, some pate' and salad
If I get the nibbles I eat a piece of cheese (the size of a matchbox) a couple of Aldi crackers with butter or Philadelphia cheese, a spoonful of peanut butter, nuts, ham celery sticks either on their own or fill them with Philly or Peanut butter

creambun

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snakes, Ironing, Some rap Music
Thanks for tips, trying to eat celery with smooth peanut butter and trying to have grapefruit or porridge with honey for breakfast. Still finding it hard to cut out bread and toast. At present I have just recently caught a chill and it has made my mouth very uncomfortable, feel like just eating low sugar jelly and something cold like ice cream, but ice cream is bad for you isn't it. I have been having liquorice and treacle toffee too . (right naughty) My mouth is so dry at present. I'm thinking of visiting dentist tommorrow, but don't won't to be put on antibiotics if it is an infection, rather go natural way. Any suggestions would be helpful. I have tried having slices of ginger and honey with warm water, warm salt water rinses. Taking garlic and zinc supplements. and resting when I can. My body temperature seems all over the place at present, of course I am menopausal and taking HRT. I think my immune system is greatly impaired but my doctors don't seem to address this. I had gallbladder removed about 10 yrs ago and was diagnosed with IBs and osteoarthritis. My Mother past away 4 years ago and I was put on prozac for depression and anxiety.The prozac eased my osteoarthritis, but sadly put more weight on. I decided to come off the prozac, because they seemed to be putting excess weight on me. I am now 4 stone nearly over weight and only 5ft 2in . I try to walk 30-40mins everyday and I do work as a Caretaker for a Church and deliver papers.(once a week) Keeping motivated to eat sensibly is difficult. I wish I could get into more intense physical exercise on a regular basis, like swimming and cycling but I always seem to come down with a cold or infection and tire so quickly. Is there anything that can boost my adrenal glands, maybe that would help.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Most people with type 2 or prediabetes are at the most insulin resistant in the morning and breakfast should be as low carb as possible. Both grapefruit and porridge are very high carb and we wont even discuss honey, pure sugar. If you are going to eat higher carb foods it should be later in the day. Having said that, the best way to control your blood sugar and lose some of the weight is to reduce the amount of carbs you are eating and eliminate the very high carb foods. I will tag @daisy1 who will send you some information that you should read very carefully. It will answer many questions and get you pointed in the right direction. If you have any questions please ask and welcome to the forum. :)

Reactions: zand

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like bread then Burgen Linseed and Soya bread is one that a lot of members here have also Lidl do a high protein roll another favorite they are much lower in carbs

Seeker2016

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can also recommend Livlife low carb breadv(3.1g carbs per slice),smaller slices than normal bread but seeded.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@creambun

Hello and welcome to the forum :) In addition to all the ideas members have given you above, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask more questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 210,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.