Pumps and home insurance

djjenko

Hi Guys and Gals,
Been on the Accu chek spirit pump for the last 2 days and i will never go back to injection pens even at this early stage.
The pump is the right theropy for me.

Anyway i attended the pump course and the topic was covering the pump on home insurance, not sure if my policy company will not cover it, any advice?

Here is my ratio - 1unit for every ten gramms of carbs.
0.5 basel rate
Sugars were 15 to 18 mmols Now 7 to 9 last 2 days.
Bolus cut more than half that i was on the pen.
daily carbs 200 to 250.

Totally recommend insulin pump theropy if your PCT are pump pro.

Any advice on the insurance issue,

What do you say to the insurance company as i understand if a company not aware of this type of device then they will not cover but my policy is a unlimited and they only want to know items worth £1000.00 or more.

Many thanks

A very happy pumper.

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Think you are really buzzin' with your pump, hope - and sure - it will continue!!

Insurance - ring them up, tell them you wish to add something worth in excess of £1000 to your home insurance ..... and answer the questions - simples (to use the Meerkat advert word!).

Absolutely no doubt they will not have this on any list and therefore demand a figure based on the value of the pump - which you should have to hand. I did this at the same time as I was insuring some camera equipment. They took the make, model and serial number.... for my pump as well as for my lenses! Can't remember the additional premium but it was identical - in proportion - to the value of my camera tackle.

Good luck and best wishes all round.

Alan

djjenko

Many thanks Alan,

Yep i really enjoy the pump as i have always struggled with BGS control but i also have kidney function decline and will require a transplant in the future but hope the pump gives me a better quality of life and freedom.

I will ring them 2morow and get it sorted.
Do i tell them it is a insulin pump to treat diabetes?
Many thanks

All the best

Shaun

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
"Do i tell them it is a insulin pump to treat diabetes?"

Absolutely yes but don't expect them to understand what you are insuring! They are most likely to give you a price based on value only. The people on the other end of the phone have little - if any - empowerment to change things like this. No point telling them that is extremely unlikely that it will get stolen either - it is a piece of hardware with a specific value which demands a book price premium - full stop! Unless you have an insurance company who genuinely consider the needs of their customers that is!

Alan