Help Me Like Mushrooms

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me its Okra. I had it once and it was slimy and disgusting. I've been assured that this veg can be lovely if cooked properly - but think i'd be sick if it turned out slimy and snotty like the stuff I tried years ago - shudders.

Something I love in a proper curry.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a garlicky mushroom dish at a Turkish restaurant the other night - flavour gets an 'A' but the texture? :***:

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don't like the texture you could blitz them down before adding to most dishes so you wouldn't notice them. In terms of flavour frying them with thyme smells and tastes delicious but won't help you with any texture issues. Might enhance your pate though

Reactions: 4 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers @SueB743 - I did add dried thyme to the pate but I imagine fresh stuff would be a lot nicer :)

Reactions: 2 people

Joyz

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been trying to convince myself to like mushrooms for quite some time. The two that I've been successful with are shitake and enoki. When I make miso soup I include Shitake (soaking the dried ones in warm water for 30 minutes). I put enoki mushrooms in the noodle bowl with mung bean sprouts and pour hot soup on them. They actually taste good!

Reactions: 4 people

Alice_Uxaty

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Maybe chanterelles would be OK? I am not really fond of mushrooms, but these taste quite different. And they don't have this weird greasy texture. For me also works soy sauce - it makes mushrooms taste better. Without it, there are often just bland to me.