High Intensity Interval Training to improve blood glucose levels

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Maybe it's the powerlifter inside me talking, but I'd rather have the best of both worlds: low-carb so I don't have to worry about burning extra glucose, and lift heavy weights (which I enjoy doing) to gain lean mass. HIIT sounds like a lot of work for something that comes across as nothing more than cardio to me. Then again, most people probably think I'm an idiot for putting 700 pounds on my back, hurting myself, and then trying to do it again.

What's your weight at? 700 pounds is an amazing squat.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's your weight at? 700 pounds is an amazing squat.
Unfortunately, I never had a chance to have a clean attempt at 700. Long story short, I had a baseball injury but tried to lift before it recovered fully. I ended up herniating my L4/L5 disk going down with 700.

My best lift in competition before getting hurt was 675lbs. That was at 211lbs when I was 17 years old. I'm 27 now, about the same weight, but nowhere close to that strong anymore (probably in the 550 range currently).

Reactions: 2 people

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is very unfortunate indeed, still very strong lifts there. I know how you feel, i herniated my L5/S1 and L5/L4 discs and coincidently my best squat was also when i was 17 but only 400 lbs at 145 lbs bodyweight. Can't seem to squat anymore, when i try i get an uncomfortable feeling in the lower back region. Didn't even hurt my back lifting but working so that really ****** me off. Especially since two years earlier i missed the opportunity to compete in the world championships and would've won my weight class because of work. So right now i'm only doing bench press and some upper body work and i go mountain biking. Would really like to equal (unofficially) the national BP record although doubtful i'll make it since it's also the European record.

Anyway good luck with powerlifting and your T1 in the process.

Mafat

Hi

I need your help. While I am on IF +LcLf +HIIT I am able to redule weight to the targeted level along with HBA1C under normal range...I have lost my muscle mass & wondering how to regain the lost muscle mass & how long it takes to. I have started resistance training along with weight lifting. I also had a an injury to L1. Looking forward to all of you for suggestion.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nasty interval pyramid on the rower today 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 min intervals, equal rests. Only 16 minutes work time, but on that second 3 min interval it seems like a lifetime. BG all good today

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I need your help. While I am on IF +LcLf +HIIT I am able to redule weight to the targeted level along with HBA1C under normal range...I have lost my muscle mass & wondering how to regain the lost muscle mass & how long it takes to. I have started resistance training along with weight lifting. I also had a an injury to L1. Looking forward to all of you for suggestion.

It's not abnormal to lose some muscle if you're dropping in bodyweight though you might consider you're losing weight too fast. Generally speaking lost muscle can be regained faster than just growing it through a thing which is known as muscle memory. It either has something to do with the connective tissue between muscle fibers or the nuclei in the muscles itself.

Assuming you're doing everything right in the gym rebuilding your muscle will probably require a fix to your diet. As to how long it takes ... it all depends on your workout, diet, recovery, ... no real way of telling.

MichaelBurt77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
It's been about 25 days sense I've been testing the daily High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) results on improved blood sugar (bpl's) levels and I think it's time to report what I've experienced so far - so here goes:

I monitor my bpl's quite closely and have a good history of results b/4 my HIIT experiment to reference.

My daily HIIT sessions are now 4 min - alternating 20 sec all out with 20 sec slow (equals 6 fast, 6 slow per session) and the resulting bpl.s are surprisingly the same as when I first started.

I certainly am not saying HIIT is any kind of panacea and I don't think it's for everyone. As a matter of fact I think anyone who wants to give it a try should be cautious and start slowly keeping in mind their current fitness level etc.

For anyone (t2 or t1) who decides to try HIIT keep in mind it's a good idea to practice it once than monitor your bpl's for 2 or 3 days b/4 you start. Also, you might find that doing HIIT every other day or only on days that aren't your "workout" days works for you.

I am interested in other's results and would be happy to see posts if they try adding HIIT to their routine, but I definitely don't want anyone to hurt themselves trying this.

MB77

Reactions: 2 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,
It's been about 25 days sense I've been testing the daily High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) results on improved blood sugar (bpl's) levels and I think it's time to report what I've experienced so far - so here goes:

I monitor my bpl's quite closely and have a good history of results b/4 my HIIT experiment to reference.

My daily HIIT sessions are now 4 min - alternating 20 sec all out with 20 sec slow (equals 6 fast, 6 slow per session) and the resulting bpl.s are surprisingly the same as when I first started.

I certainly am not saying HIIT is any kind of panacea and I don't think it's for everyone. As a matter of fact I think anyone who wants to give it a try should be cautious and start slowly keeping in mind their current fitness level etc.

For anyone (t2 or t1) who decides to try HIIT keep in mind it's a good idea to practice it once than monitor your bpl's for 2 or 3 days b/4 you start. Also, you might find that doing HIIT every other day or only on days that aren't your "workout" days works for you.

I am interested in other's results and would be happy to see posts if they try adding HIIT to their routine, but I definitely don't want anyone to hurt themselves trying this.

MB77

Good post. I have had my own share of issues with HIIT. But before I go further, I want to know your weigiht, BMI, body fat percentage, age, BS levels etc - all info - before and after your 25 days of experimentation. Then only we can conclude something. Basically we need to examine all changes in your system and determine if those changes are contributed by 25 days of effort with HIIT. Can you please provide the two sets of info i.e. before and after??