Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Asked the nurse today for my first reading as the Doc hadn't told me. It's 9.9 - pretty high, so I should be glad I got myself checked and am on the road to better health. The nurse gave me a blood glucose monitoring system, she said reps were always leaving them. I guess I need to evaluate the cost of the strips - and also get it out of the box and stab myself for the first time
Hi penfoldAPD,go for the codefree its the cheapest meter

Reactions: 2 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
6.4! First one since being diagnosed July 2015. I'm happy with that :)

Well done you!

Keep up the good work and listen to the real experts if/when things go wrong - ie. The other forum users and info on the host website.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
9 months in .. was 16% when in ... now 9.8% still **** acording to RA team

"****" yes, but you ARE on the way down!

Learn from everyone else on this forum (and always ask if confused etc) and you'll gain confidence and control in no time.

Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
5.0 from 5.5 last january i'm happy.......doc said "we will have to get that up......left laughing

Reactions: 10 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Well done Clive. Just in awe of your wonderful fasting readings each morning.
Thankyou....its living with a vampire that does itno seriously,following lchf regime and the Wonderfull posters and friends here that have directed my steps, so take heart,and big up to the forum and its Wonderfull members

paulpapa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't be disheartened; evidence and experiences show that to reduce your HbA1c and associated blood sugar levels too quickly can induce or exacerbate certain complications - especially retinopathy.

Keep on track, review your results at least once every two weeks (and preferably weekly) and adjust your diet and meds (etc) in small quantities - you'll see the effects for yourself and can then revise accordingly.

Thanks ConradJ, that's good advice. I've got the Libre now so I can see what's happening after food. It's all very interesting. I'm sure I'll crack the code soon!

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After almost 35 years as a type 1 finally seeing a doctor at the hospital, who actually takes time to go through my whole health situation. My reading for the 6 months was 72, which he said was OK but could be better but it has come down.

What frustrates the life out of me however is I typically eat the same things at the same time and have the same work routine. Some days my BG is high others it goes low

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Last one was 6.2 has gone up to 6.5 was expected after surgery though so only slightly disappointed.

iHs

I'm ok with anything between 6.4 to 7.1%. Have no desire to go lower than 6.4 because my awareness of the hypo feeling will also change

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm fine with my recent 5.9%. I'm still aware of hypos at above 4mmol/l and this is comfortable. Any lower steps into bernsteinian territory for me.

Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
After almost 35 years as a type 1 finally seeing a doctor at the hospital, who actually takes time to go through my whole health situation. My reading for the 6 months was 72, which he said was OK but could be better but it has come down.

What frustrates the life out of me however is I typically eat the same things at the same time and have the same work routine. Some days my BG is high others it goes low

Injection sites and timings may be an issue:
1) do you rotate sites?
2) have you noticed a difference between sites (eg. lower bg using the stomach than compared with the thigh)?

Timings:
1) meals high in saturated fat will slow the absorption of carbs giving the insulin more chance of correlating it's peak performance with the breakdown of the carbs in the blood stream;
2) wheat based foods, like bread and pasta (even the wholewheat versions) frequently cause high post-meal rises (even 3-4 hours) and you may find that injecting (say 20-30 minutes) earlier than you normally do will result in better insulin-carb correlation.

The specifics of your particular requirements will need lots of structured testing to build up the data so that you can fine tune your needs.

Another thing to remember is that...
a) meters are permitted an accuracy allowance of 20%;
b) food manufacturers are permitted similar tolerances when listing values;
c) portion sizes are never exactly the same;
d) other factors, like illness, stress, activity (or inactivity), other meds, cleanliness of fingertips, temperature at time of testing, etc. etc. etc. can all affect your blood sugar levels or the way your meter reads it - even if such factors are minimal.

The joys of T1!

Reactions: 8 people

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hba1c 5.9% / 41mmol/mol
4.2mmol serum cholestersl
1.4mmol HDL
3:1 ratio

I don't have the doctors until the 12th Feb, handy I can go on line and get hold of all my results. Had my blood sample taken on 28th Jan. I could cancel my docs appointment now as I can say i've already got my results :)

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last HbA1c in Sept'15 was 45. Had another taken 22/01/16 at my request...was expecting a rise to maybe 56-58, but very pleasantly surprised to find it has dropped to 43!!!!! This is half of what my HbA1c was when I was released from hospital after diagnosis last Jan (86). Happy girl :)

Reactions: 6 people

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HbA1c of 47. Looking on the conversion chart I believe this is 6.4%.

What else should I be looking out for on these two A4 sheets I've been given?

Serum Cholestorol is 3.3mmol/L
HDL Cholestorol 1.3mmol/L

Samwar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When you have a fasting blood test what do you do if you hypo please I've got my hba1c test on Wednesday my 1st one after being diagnosed in November my hba1c was 113